Parents Level 2 or Level 3

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymmomsarethebest

Proud Parent
Which parents have had their kids compete level 2 and 3 vs. only level 3 and up? Do you think level 2 helped them in their gymnastics career or it didn’t make a difference, did they seem more prepared having competed level 2 or they jumped into 3 or 4 with no issues.

My oldest daughter competed OLD level 2, 3 and 4 and then levels changed and she moved to new 4. (Then we moved across the country, so new gym) My younger daughter skipped right to level 4 her first year competing. I’m glad she didn’t waste time with level 2/3 routines, and was able to spend more time building strength and working future skills. Also saved me a TON of $$. That being said most gyms don’t let you pick and choose, they all have their own way of doing things and progressing through the levels.

If you are in a gym that competes L2, it is fine. The girls love being able to compete and dress in the cute comp leos but L2 is not necessary and gyms that choose to skip it, using that time to prep the gymnasts for higher levels, are no worse off. They actually tend to be better prepared. Training for competitions takes a lot of time away from actual training, especially for younger children who need more time learning/perfecting the routines.

If you are in a gym that competes L2, it is fine. The girls love being able to compete and dress in the cute comp leos but L2 is not necessary and gyms that choose to skip it, using that time to prep the gymnasts for higher levels, are no worse off. They actually tend to be better prepared. Training for competitions takes a lot of time away from actual training, especially for younger children who need more time learning/perfecting the routines.
This makes a lot of sense actually.

A lot of gyms only compete Level 3 and up. There are also gyms that don't compete until Level 4. It is what it is. To me, level 2 seems like it's just a money grab.
See I felt like the gyms around us once I started snooping. Do level 2 and up, but your right more teams equals more fees and more $$$ for the gym. So could definitely be a money grab.

My daughter's gym (and therefore my daughter) start competing at level 2. She's competed every level except for level 6 (which her gym at the time competed a full season of level 5 and then trained a year and competed level 7). She is now a level 9. It certainly hasn't hurt her gymnastics. Hard to say if it helped it or not since she didn't do it the other way. But it's pretty common where we live to compete level 2 and the majority of the top teams in the state do. I would say most of the strong gyms in my state that don't compete level 2 are ones that use Xcel in the place of compulsories.

My daughter did level 2 and we both loved it. Low stress but still the fun of meets with friends. She would have skipped 3 if we hadn’t gone overseas for the summer. I’m super glad she did 3 now... lots of drills on perfect back handspring etc. Our gym is really keen on constantly coming back to basics. She’s training 4/5 now and confidence is high. I liked that she has built up competition experience slowly and that the kids compete a level with great confidence and skills that are polished.

Our Gym does have a level 2 but they only do one meet (the big "home" meet) and they dont require them to get the comp leotards. Because of this they really dont spend a lot of time on the routines. Its mainly like a pre team lots of focus on skills and drills. Level 3 gets a bit more serious at our gym. Personally I dont see much point in level 1-2 unless you have a super young kiddo.

I know of one "L2" preteam (training to compete L3 the following year) where the kids have the option to compete at the in-house meet and one "real" meet as XCel Bronze, no fancy leo required. It seems like a great, low-key way to introduce the kids to competition without the expense and hassle, and without wasting time perfecting low-level compulsory routines.

Competing at a lower level has its advantages, the kids get used to performing for judges and an audience while the skills are still relatively simple. It may also help some kids stick with the sport, in most sports competition starts straight away. When kids pick up a spot like soccer they get to go out there and compete often from their first few weeks. In gymnastics it can take years to get to the point where they are ready to participate in competitions and feel like a real gymnast.

But the downside of competing is big too, young kids are in peak skill learning phases. Its the best time to teach as many skills as possible, if they compete many hours must be spent learning routines, perfecting routines etc. That time could be spent developing skills and accelerating the gymnasts faster. Kids who compete at lower levels will often progress slower and can also risk burn out at a younger age.

My daughter competed level 2 twice before switching to a gym that uses xcel instead of level 2 and 3. I think the biggest benefit was that she got comfortable competing at a very young age and performing in front of an audience. She is 7 now and doesn’t demonstrate any nervousness at competitions. However, that could also be her personality.

Which parents have had their kids compete level 2 and 3 vs. only level 3 and up? Do you think level 2 helped them in their gymnastics career or it didn’t make a difference, did they seem more prepared having competed level 2 or they jumped into 3 or 4 with no issues.
Our gym doesn't compete until level 4 and I am thankful for that! My daughter is about to turn 7 and currently on preteam, I'm still not sure that she is emotionally developed enough to handle competing. I'm so glad that we didn't get swept into level 2 or 3 because I am sure it would have been too much for her and just set her back.

My 7 year old daughter is competing level 3 and I would have been happier to skip it, especially this year. Like others said, they spend a lot of time perfecting their routines and not much time learning new skill.

In my opinion L2 at our gym was a money grab, tuition over $300 a month, team fees over $1,000 year for 4-5 local meets, high end warm up’s. Same for L3, just higher team fees and same for XB. I’d rather a gym have a goal to train straight for L4 and do in house skills meets of modified routines along the way for the girls to show off progress.

There is a benefit to having been in front of judges before and knowing the “drill.” Optionals is a whole other animal, and I don’t find focusing so much to win at L2 and L3, parents getting privates for that to impact success in the later levels. I’m grateful we are in a place that trains to L4 as well. Many gyms you don’t have a choice and several gyms compete L1 as well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back