WAG Level 3 bar height

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Peachy88

Proud Parent
My daughter can barely stop herself with the tips of her toes after her glide swing and then has to do a dead hang pullover. At meets will they adjust the height of the bar?

At the meets I have been to, they don't adjust the bars but I believe they have a few mats that can be placed underneath for shorter kids. I'm in Ontario though so not sure if it would he the same where you are.

Bar height is adjustable and coaches can also add a 4" or 8" mat under.

In training, I mostly leave the bar at a "medium" height, which is challenging for littles like your daughter and not ideal for the tallest girls. Otherwise, I'd be adjusting the bar all the time and we wouldn't get in as much practice. As we get close to a meet (the last few practices before) and at meets, I adjust bar height for the kids. I imagine your coach will do the same.

Last season the coaches always put a mat underneath for the shorter kids during meets. Not always during practice.

Level 3 coach. At meets we either lower the bar one step or add an 8” for the shorties (allowed in the code). Which one we do kind of depends on the rest of the girls we are rotating with and if anyone else needs a lower bar.
For practice, we usually leave the bars as is and just add the 8”.

My daughter can barely stop herself with the tips of her toes after her glide swing and then has to do a dead hang pullover. At meets will they adjust the height of the bar?
Well, she's not supposed to "stop herself " with her toes. She is supposed to glide swing out and swing back, then stop at a stand. This isn't done by using the toes to stop herself, but by deliberately stopping her body from swinging and having a controlled stop on her feet. Then she does a standing back pullover, like in Levels 1 and 2. Hopping or jumping up to pull over, or bending the knees is a deduction. So it is a "dead hang" pullover, so to speak. But, she should be able to reach the bar without being on her toes or stretching so high over her head that she can barely grip the bar. The low bar can be adjusted, and mounting mats can be used to start her closer. BUT, with the glide, they cannot glide off a mounting mat and land back on it, that is also a deduction as its considered the same as using a springboard. It would have to be a mat that stays put, like an 8-incher.

Well, she's not supposed to "stop herself " with her toes. She is supposed to glide swing out and swing back, then stop at a stand. This isn't done by using the toes to stop herself, but by deliberately stopping her body from swinging and having a controlled stop on her feet. Then she does a standing back pullover, like in Levels 1 and 2. Hopping or jumping up to pull over, or bending the knees is a deduction. So it is a "dead hang" pullover, so to speak. But, she should be able to reach the bar without being on her toes or stretching so high over her head that she can barely grip the bar. The low bar can be adjusted, and mounting mats can be used to start her closer. BUT, with the glide, they cannot glide off a mounting mat and land back on it, that is also a deduction as its considered the same as using a springboard. It would have to be a mat that stays put, like an 8-incher.[/QUOTE

I understand this is not what she is supposed to do but she literally cannot stand and reach the bar.

My DD dealt with that all last year. And being unable to stop her glide momentum, the pullover was not pretty. It was never an issue at her meets, so I assume her coach used a lower setting at meets than he does in practice.

My DD always had a little mat underneath at meets and then then pulled it after the glide. The one meet that the coaches forgot, she sort of awkwardly dragged her toes on the ground to stop the glide...wasn't pretty.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back