WAG Level 3 floor exercise question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have a question about one of the elements in the L3 floor routine. The backwards straight arm roll to what looks like a push up position to me. Earlier this week I saw them running the routines at the end of practice and little bit is doing the full on back extension roll. Hitting the handstand and stepping down. They (the group) was doing this section over and over again and she was never corrected on this element. Am I missing something? Is it an option to do the extension roll instead of the other element...kind of like on bars they can do the glide/pullover or kip?

In later levels, 4 (I think) and 5 they will need to have it to the handstand. They may have just been practicing them for the future. They are also handy for skills on other events, like clear hips in level 5.

No, in the L3 routine, this is NOT an option. If she did it in competition, it would definitely be a deduction... I know in the old cycle, even getting NEAR a handstand before the push up was a deduction (we had a few that lost points on that in old L4). Good luck.

No it is not an option. If they compete this it will be considered omitting a skill + adding a skill which would be a huge deduction: double the element so probably around 0.8-1.0

Of course they could just be up training, because a back extension roll to handstand with a step out landing is in the level 4 routine. But it going back and forth between the two skills can be tricky for some level 3s, as their body can forget how to do the back roll to pushup properly. This is why I wait to teach back extension rolls until summer, after they've competed level 3.

Thanks guys...that is what I thought. At first I thought maybe they were just practicing for the future like WSCoachLY suggested but she is the only one doing it that I can see but no corrections. And it is not just as a stand alone skill but when they are actually running the routine. She is doing it over and over again lol. I asked her why she is doing it one way and everyone else is doing it another and her response was "because I can" :-/ My response was "errrr...ok?"

No it is not an option. If they compete this it will be considered omitting a skill + adding a skill which would be a huge deduction: double the element so probably around 0.8-1.0
Well that's just peachy...she's already going to get knocked for her little knobby knees ;-) I know I should leave this to the coaches but this is the same child that thought it was a good idea to try and cast to handstand on her back hipcircle at an inhouse meet last year and went flying off the bar...I asked her why she casted that high and she said "bc I think they will give me extra points but I didn't get them this time bc I went flying"

I asked her why she is doing it one way and everyone else is doing it another and her response was "because I can" :-/ My response was "errrr...ok?"
I guess I would follow with the question, "Is that how your coaches want you to do it?"

Well that's just peachy...she's already going to get knocked for her little knobby knees ;-) I know I should leave this to the coaches but this is the same child that thought it was a good idea to try and cast to handstand on her back hipcircle at an inhouse meet last year and went flying off the bar...I asked her why she casted that high and she said "bc I think they will give me extra points but I didn't get them this time bc I went flying"

Well you could try to correct her misconception by explaining that you (i) you don't get extra points for doing a more advanced skill in place of a simpler one and (ii) in fact that you will lose points for not doing the correct skill and lose points for adding a skill that wasn't supposed to be there.

Reactions: sce
Doing a back extension roll at a meet would probably be around 1 point deductions without form errors. Maybe ask your daughter if she was doing that on purpose... that isn't ok! Sometimes up training is ok but I think to handstand should wait until after meet season-it messed me up when I trained both. She should be going straight over her head, her knees almost to her nose, than landing in pushup position.

However long the L3 routine is...I think someone on the board told me in another thread awhile back that it was too long for bronze and would get a deduction
So she's doing the level 3 routine at an Xcel bronze meet?

So she's doing the level 3 routine at an Xcel bronze meet?
Yes. She has missed the first few meets of the season bc of her age. We have our home meet coming up and they want all the girls to have the opportunity to compete at home so they are putting her with the Bronze. She will be able to compete the last couple of meets as a L3 and hopefully state if she qualifies. We don't ask too many questions...just go with the flow

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back