Level 3 Vault

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

S

starmaker

There seems to be some confusion at our gym regarding the Level 3 Vault. What is it suppose to be? One of dd's coaches is calling a handstand dive roll. And dd does a handstand and then rolls out of it. It doesn't look right, though. I've seen on youtube and it looks more like a dive forward roll than a handstand.

Can anyone please clarify this for me, so maybe I can try to explain to dd.

Also, at competition do they adjust the height of the mats on vault for the younger, shorter, gymnasts. At gym dd has to jump mats taller than her. She can barely make it up there, even when she jumps really high.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just the "parent assistant" at vault at a Level 3 meet.

The judge told me that it is supposed to be a dive roll to a standing position onto a flat-back mat. Very few of the level 3's managed the dive roll body position very well.

All of the girls, regardless of height, used the regulation flat-back mat--so I assume that that is the standard.

Hope this helps!

It is a Dive Roll. Their feet should be above their behind when they have their hands on the mat from what I understand.

Something I have seen on youtube is the vault that is a handstand where they flop over flat on their back... I thought I had seen that one described as a level three vault... what is it??

Something I have seen on youtube is the vault that is a handstand where they flop over flat on their back... I thought I had seen that one described as a level three vault... what is it??

That sounds like the L4 vault. The L3 one is certainly a dive forward roll to feet. The L4 one they finish lying on their back.

What is the height for the vaults in the USA. Here In Quebec they are:-

for kids in grades 3-6 L4 vault 100cm L5+ vaults 110cm

For kids in grade 7 + L4 vault 120cm L5+ vault 125cm FIG

That sounds like the Level 2 vaults I saw--handstand at the edge of the springboard, with a fall onto a 16" mat (two 8 inchers). The coaches were reminding the girls to be tight and keep their toes pointed and feet together.

Is that would you saw on YouTube?

I have seen L3 vaults both with the handstand flatback (similar to L4) & the forward dive roll to no hand squat stand.

J, is this for L3 USAG or AAU? I don't know when one way is used over the other, but I know that the L3 vault can vary by state, by organization (usag, aau, etc) and maybe even by gym preference at that level - just food for thought.

Which way does your gym prefer/use?

I know that GA AAU vaults for L2 and L3 are all handstands falling to flat back on mats. L4 is the same thing only they use the vault table and fall flat to stacked mats.

our L2 vault is a handstand flatback flop onto the mat (in my highly technical and expert opinion):D.

Our L3 girls do the dive roll.

I have no clue about L4, we are not there yet...

Kelly

Nic,
Or gym is competing L3 USAG. So I guess it would be the dive roll. I don't know why one of dd's coaches is calling it a handstand dive roll. I guess he just wants the girls to have their legs up over their behind but dd takes things literally and if he says handstand she will make sure to be completely vertical before rolling out.

Thank you all for clarify this for me. I will try to explain it to dd although she doesn't listen to me because she says I am not a gymnast. Of course, I always tell her I am her mama and mamas always know best! (atleast most of the time..heehee)

The coach might also be prepping them for the next level. By the end of my dd's level 4 season she was getting so much power on vault she couldn't keep her hands behind that white line on the mat. Her coach would never correct it because he said he rather her get the deduction at level 4 since for level 5 you need your hands further back on the vault table. It worked - vault is by far her best event. Some of the progressions through the lower levels can be a little weird sometimes. I mean really - why bother with a mill circle they will never use again????

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back