Coaches Level 4 Bars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am looking for clarification on the level 4 bar dismount and am sure someone here can help. However I am not sure how to best describe the 2 methods very well.
I always thought the gymnast swung out released with 1 hand- performed the 1/2 turn- tapped the bar with the hand that released and then landed. One hand staying on the bar the entire time.
Someone just told me that is incorrect- the gymnast should swing out- release with 1 hand- perform the 1/2 turn- tap with the hand that was released and then release with the hand that has remained on the bar and tap that on the top of the bar as well before landing?
I have read the text, watched the USAG videos, and watched lots of other videos of level 4 bar routines and I don't think I have ever seen it performed the 2nd way but maybe I'm missing something. I haven't coached compulsories in a few years so I could be wrong, just want to make sure my kids are doing the correct thing.

Only one hand should release the bar prior to the simultaneous "dismount" release. The other arm will be in under grip at the time of completion then both hands will simultaneously let go for the landing. For Xcel, probably either way is acceptable (but I don't really know for sure, just don't see why not). For level 4 compulsory, you have to do it the way I stated above.

The compulsory app from USAG which you can get on the App Store is a great way to cross check these things because it has the text and videos (but the videos aren't perfect for all the choreo details, I would still recommend reading the text. However as far as I've seen there aren't any "change of element" or anything like that for skills or the bar videos).

Only one hand should release the bar prior to the simultaneous "dismount" release. The other arm will be in under grip at the time of completion then both hands will simultaneously let go for the landing. For Xcel, probably either way is acceptable (but I don't really know for sure, just don't see why not). For level 4 compulsory, you have to do it the way I stated above.

The compulsory app from USAG which you can get on the App Store is a great way to cross check these things because it has the text and videos (but the videos aren't perfect for all the choreo details, I would still recommend reading the text. However as far as I've seen there aren't any "change of element" or anything like that for skills or the bar videos).
Thanks! That’s what I thought, but when this other coach corrected some of my girls I got concerned. I have the app and immediately went and read the text and watched the video which I thought confirmed my thoughts but just wanted to double check. I’ve never seen it done the way this coach was suggesting and worried I had missed some change.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back