level 4 training hours- worried

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter trained L4 last year (her gym doesn't compete below L5)She trained 12 hours/wk during the school year and 17 1/2 /wk in the summer. She is the same way, she would live at her gym if it was possible! While it was a bit shocking that she actually WANTED to devote her summer to practice, now I know it was a good decision.
As far as injuries are concerned, my daughter just got her first REAL injury and she did it skipping during warm-ups not flipping or flying...
SKIPPING! :p I think injury risk is a factor in any sport kids participate in

GOOD LUCK!

I think injury risk is a factor in any sport kids participate in
I would take this one further. Injury risk is a factor for any active kid, period. In fact, from what I can see, more often than not kids get hurt outside of their normal "risky" activity.

Wow, I think 16 hours is a lot for L4. I don't know of any gyms around us that train that much for L4. Last year my dd was 6 years old when she started L4, and they trained 6 hours per week (2 hours, 3x per week). Now at 7 years old, she is in L5 training 9 hours per week (3 hours, 3x/week). There are some other gyms around us that do more, but I've not heard of any around here that go more than 9 hrs per week for L4.

We are in the Dallas area and my level 7 daughter goes to public school and trains 20 hours a week during the school year. All public school systems in Texas can count gymnastics as "Off Campus PE" starting in middle school (grades 6-8) and continuing through high school. They can arrange your child's schedule so they have the last class as PE and get out of school an hour early. Their gym coach grades them and sends in the grades to the school. Your child must attend gym at least 15 hours a week to qualify. This gives her more time to study and get to gym. The school will pay a site visit to the gym to ensure that the coaches are qualified and that she is spending the minimum time required there.

Wow!!! I never competed level 4, but at L5 I was at practice 6 hours a week. Now as a L7 I go for 10 hours a week. This is a little low for our area but it also depends on if they are spending half the time standing around or if they are working the whole time.

Interesting. 15 hours of a sport equal 3-4.5 hours a week of school PE. Maybe 5-7.5 in some rare cases? How about the kids on a school team for 2-3 hours a day. Bonkers.

Make sure she is eating, hydrating and sleeping enough and relaxing at home. Then again, some kids idea of relaxing is being a kid.

Dallas Gym Mom,

That sounds like a lot of red tape to get excused. DD hasn't had a PE class at school since the 4th grade (Junior in HS next year). All I have to is write a note at the start of the year and have her coach sign it. The school lets her take a study hall instead. I guess every state has different rules.

We did the study hall thing in elementary school. Our state has a PE requirement for all public middle and high school kids so this is a good thing and it counts for a grade. A kid who works out 20 hours doesn't need more PE. Also we had a few gymnasts on her team get injured in regular PE classes. One girl broke her hand playing basketball and was out for the season.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back