WAG Level 5 back handspring on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What you are referring to is the "not up to competitive level" deduction which applies to bars, beam and floor in L8 and above. It is "up to .3" and it is not a new deduction, however what your coach is referring to is that for beam this year the code specifies what is/is not considered 'up to level" whearas in the past it was rather vague. So in the past it was more a comparison to what others were doing, now it actually specifies to take the deduction if for example, only one skill in the series has flight and there are no other flight skills. Now that L8 allows one C skill on each event, I think it will become more common to need that C skill to not incure at least a partial "not up to competitive level" deduction.
Since there are no composition deductions at L6 and L7, as long as those routines have the required skills and value parts there is no differentiation for doing harder skills. And in compulsories, it is just about doing the chosen skills the cleanest as far as points go.

Where would be a good place to find a list of C skills? Now I'm curious how many dd has in mastered thus far!

There are no bonus points but there is value in competing "harder" skills. Our gym atrongly believes in L5 vs L6 (finds it better preparation for upper level Optionals) and does push our L5's to compete the more difficult upgrades if at all possible. When my DD did L5, all but one of the girls competed BHS on beam, most competed LO flyaway and at least half did switch leap on floor.

Where would be a good place to find a list of C skills? Now I'm curious how many dd has in mastered thus far!

Just to clarify, C dance on beam and floor was already allowed, now One C acro is allowed (which started with the new cycle in 2013), typically for those that are doing the most difficult routines, you will see back tuck on beam or sometimes even a hand-lay step out. On bars a double back (which is allowed as a C skill in addition to the already allowed and common Clear hip HS and Pirouette (both C's). On Floor, a back 3/2 or a front full are both C skills.

What you are referring to is the "not up to competitive level" deduction which applies to bars, beam and floor in L8 and above. It is "up to .3" and it is not a new deduction, however what your coach is referring to is that for beam this year the code specifies what is/is not considered 'up to level" whearas in the past it was rather vague. So in the past it was more a comparison to what others were doing, now it actually specifies to take the deduction if for example, only one skill in the series has flight and there are no other flight skills. Now that L8 allows one C skill on each event, I think it will become more common to need that C skill to not incure at least a partial "not up to competitive level" deduction.
Since there are no composition deductions at L6 and L7, as long as those routines have the required skills and value parts there is no differentiation for doing harder skills. And in compulsories, it is just about doing the chosen skills the cleanest as far as points go.

Thank you for eloquently stating this, and providing even more insight! Yes, our head coach was telling the upcoming season L8 girls about the C skill on each event - she had originally thought last year that the "not up to competitive level deduction" (is this the same thing as a "composition deduction"?) would really come into play, so she wanted the L8s to do a back tuck on beam, an upgraded floor pass, etc. as allowed. However, like you explained last season it was somewhat vague as to what that meant, and what she said happened in at least our part of the country was that there was no deduction taken by judges. But THIS YEAR as you said it is now more concrete and in writing, and thus she wants our L8s to be prepared with the C skilled as allowed, so the girls do not have to take that deduction this season. It is helpful to hear it from someone else as well - thank you for sharing your input!!

Just to clarify, C dance on beam and floor was already allowed, now One C acro is allowed (which started with the new cycle in 2013), typically for those that are doing the most difficult routines, you will see back tuck on beam or sometimes even a hand-lay step out. On bars a double back (which is allowed as a C skill in addition to the already allowed and common Clear hip HS and Pirouette (both C's). On Floor, a back 3/2 or a front full are both C skills.

Thank you! Dd doesn't have any C's on floor but has one on bars and beam! Awesome!

Thank you for eloquently stating this, and providing even more insight! Yes, our head coach was telling the upcoming season L8 girls about the C skill on each event - she had originally thought last year that the "not up to competitive level deduction" (is this the same thing as a "composition deduction"?) would really come into play, so she wanted the L8s to do a back tuck on beam, an upgraded floor pass, etc. as allowed. However, like you explained last season it was somewhat vague as to what that meant, and what she said happened in at least our part of the country was that there was no deduction taken by judges. But THIS YEAR as you said it is now more concrete and in writing, and thus she wants our L8s to be prepared with the C skilled as allowed, so the girls do not have to take that deduction this season. It is helpful to hear it from someone else as well - thank you for sharing your input!!

I checked the code again and I was remembering incorrectly, it is actually up to .2 not .3. There are actually a variety of numerous composition deductions starting at L8, the acro difficulty is just one of them. Other deductions are things like variety of elements, use of entire beam (and floor), dance and acro having equal difficulty, etc...

What are some of the C skills for floor bars beam and even vault?

The common C acro skills for floor & beam and bars skills are posted above. Vault does not have letter skills as such, rather there is a vault chart that specifies start values for various vaults and allowed vaults at each level.

BWO can be very hard for a lot of kids. It used to be the level that made you or broke you. I remember watching girls spend the whole beam rotation standing there crying and trying and trying to do that BWO, but they'd either freeze, or try and fall, fall, fall. A lot of these same girls could throw a BHS no problem. My dd tried to tell me why, but I don't remember all of it. Something about the slow bend vs quick BHS, or something. It's good they gave them a choice, but no extra points.

Oh man! I really thought they would get extra since it's a harder skill?
It's not really harder. It really depends on what kind of gymnast you are. If you are flexible, a BWO is easier. If you are powerful but don't have a lot of flexibility, the BHS is way easier.

Believe it or not, she is way more comfortable with both BWO and BHS on beam than CW. Funny kid!
Yes, my DD, too! CW was inconsistent. She says both BWO and BHS are easier. Go figure.
I agreed with your daughters! I hated CWs on the beam because I was awful at them! I was probably best at BWOs, but I was really flexy. Then BHS, RO, CW, in that order. My daughter is the opposite - she says CWs are the easiest, the RO, BWO, BHS. Every gymnast is different! :)

Great question, I've been wondering also.

Which is healthier for their back?
Which one tends to be incur more deductions?
It really just depends on the gymnast. Some people with less flexible backs prefer the back handspring because it is more stretched. However, some prefer the back walkover as it takes more flexibility and less strength. So deductions really just depend on how each individual gymnast preforms the skill. As far as bonus points, nope. Just makes the routine look better ;) (as long as the back handspring is executed well, a good back walkover looks better than a bad back handspring.)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back