WAG Level 5 full turn - what makes it count?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ReluctantGymMom

Proud Parent
So my kiddo is supposed to score out in May, and beam... beam and her are not friends. Unsurprisingly, the full turn is going terribly.

At what point does the full turn actually count as the full turn and not a missing skill if she falls? I.e does her body and turning foot just need to be fully all the way around, or does the foot in passé need to come down and touch the beam?

For all her other skills she knows if she needs to repeat them or not if she falls, but we can’t quite find an exact answer for the full turn and I know there’s plenty of coaches and judges in here so I’m hoping y’all could help me out!

I am only a parent so if this is not correct hopefully someone will correct me. But my understanding is that the elevated foot needs to touch the beam in front of the turning foot once the turn is complete. If
it doesn’t, it is considered a missing skill. If the elevated foot lands behind the turning foot or the gymnast falls off the beam without the elevated foot touching the beam in front of the turning foot, it is a missing skill.

I am only a parent so if this is not correct hopefully someone will correct me. But my understanding is that the elevated foot needs to touch the beam in front of the turning foot once the turn is complete. If
it doesn’t, it is considered a missing skill. If the elevated foot lands behind the turning foot or the gymnast falls off the beam without the elevated foot touching the beam in front of the turning foot, it is a missing skill.

Someone told me that it needs to be over 270 degrees around (and will obviously be deducted for the fall, not getting 360 degrees and not touching the beam) but would count the skill. Literally the only way my kid is landing this currently is by saving it with her foot behind her so I hope that’s just a deduction lol

I am not a coach, but I found this in the COP:

F. REQUIRED TECHNIQUE FOR THE RECOGNITION OF VALUE PARTS Leg positions, posture/body position, and/or amplitude requirements as indicated in the J.O. Code of Points or J.O. Updates must be fulfilled in order to award the Value Part as listed. In some cases, appropriate execution and amplitude deductions would be taken rather than recognizing it as a different element.

1. TURNS OF 360° OR MORE ON ONE FOOT and LEAPS/JUMPS/HOPS WITH TURNS OF 360° OR MORE

If missing 1° to 44° of the turn deduct 0.05 - 0.10
If missing 45° to 89° of the turn deduct 0.15 - 0.20
If missing 90° or more of the turn award the Value Part for the element performed, as listed in the J.O. Code of Points or J.O. Updates.

Deductions for balance, execution and amplitude errors are also applied. Clarification regarding completion of turns: Once the heel drops onto the beam during a turn, it is considered complete. Appropriate Value-Part credit is awarded for the degree of turn completed prior to the heel drop.

I have no idea if I am understanding this correctly. I had believed that going down on your heel or stepping back meant you lost credit or at least got majorly deducted.

So my kiddo is supposed to score out in May, and beam... beam and her are not friends. Unsurprisingly, the full turn is going terribly.

At what point does the full turn actually count as the full turn and not a missing skill if she falls? I.e does her body and turning foot just need to be fully all the way around, or does the foot in passé need to come down and touch the beam?

For all her other skills she knows if she needs to repeat them or not if she falls, but we can’t quite find an exact answer for the full turn and I know there’s plenty of coaches and judges in here so I’m hoping y’all could help me out!
This is coming from a L10 gymnast: whenever I did skills on beam, they had to count by getting the foot to touch the beam. When you do a full turn try to get 360 around if you know you're going to fall off tap the beam with your foot and it should count. That's how it was for me in L8.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back