Parents Level 5 Questions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think you mean 2016-- but yes. Exactly what I came here to say. Full turns are hard. Much harder than they look from the audience. I found back walkovers to be a much more straightforward skill than turns assuming there aren't flexibility or fear issue getting in the way.

Hahahahahaha. Yes, that is what I meant

Um, didn’t Simone biles lose the gold medal at the Olympics because she touched the beam on her full turn?
The full turn SUCKS! Oh and btw my kid sucks at doing it. And she is an upper level optional. Sigh....

Um, didn’t Simone biles lose the gold medal at the Olympics because she touched the beam on her full turn?
The full turn SUCKS! Oh and btw my kid sucks at doing it. And she is an upper level optional. Sigh....

No, I believe it was her front tuck. But, yes, full turns are hard.

No, I believe it was her front tuck. But, yes, full turns are hard.
My kid just checked and said it was the full turn? However, she is sick so she could have it wrong. Either way, yes...the full turn is the hardest beam skill out there imho, it’s why it’s still required all the way through to the elite and college level. Many, many girls bite the dust on the thing, and I can’t even count the times my kid does a less than awesome one. Thank God her beam coach is patient with her and keeps working it with her!

Weird because I literally just watched it on YouTube and it was the front tuck. I’m not right? I tried to link it but it says it’s blocked. Anyway, you are right it doesn’t matter...now I’m just trying to make sure I’m not losing my mind!

The 2016 beam final is a great example of what turns can do, though. Sanne Wevers won partially because of her amazing ability to do beautiful turns on both feet, often connected. She used turns to build difficulty in a really unique way. It's a beautiful routine to watch.
Her turns were amazing!

I’m not arguing anything.

Each level gets harder. That’s just the way it is. 3 is harder then 2. 4 is harder then 3. 5 is harder then 4.....

Things like cast heights, leap angles get harder. That is not scores. The score is about what is expected.

120 is Ok at one level
Next level 150 is expected.
Then 180.

If a kid is not improving their scores go down because they are not meeting expectations

Those crazy scores from NC level 5 posted above aside, I 'd argue that level 6 is easier than level 5.

Those crazy scores from NC level 5 posted above aside, I 'd argue that level 6 is easier than level 5.

I actually said this to my daughter when she was a level 6 and she essentially said I was wrong! LOL! She said that level 6 there isn't as many elements in the routines to deduct points, which is why the scores are higher, but, overall, level 6 (especially with the changes last year for beam and vault) was harder to to cast heights, leap/jump height etc. From my perspective, her scores were alot higher in 6 than 5, so it had to be easier! :)

I actually said this to my daughter when she was a level 6 and she essentially said I was wrong! LOL! She said that level 6 there isn't as many elements in the routines to deduct points, which is why the scores are higher, but, overall, level 6 (especially with the changes last year for beam and vault) was harder to to cast heights, leap/jump height etc. From my perspective, her scores were alot higher in 6 than 5, so it had to be easier! :)

Interesting. Our gym also up trains so we are competing many level 7 skills in 6 so may be getting dinged for those as well.

She’s right. :D
Until the crazy new vault last year, the scores always seemed a lot higher on 6 and 7 too compared to 5

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back