Level 5 vault settings

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter is working on her level 5 vault and she keeps talking about settings first she was a 2 now a 3 what does this mean? Is there a set number they have to have in a meet?

All that means is that its the number of notches the vault table is set on. I don't don't what the height differences are because I think they are in cm. There is no set number that is required. The coach usually bases the number they vault on depending on their height and how well they vault.

My level 5s actually vault on 0 or 1 mainly because they are really short and just learned how to go over the table.

If she Vaulted on 2 that means that the vaulting table was 110 cm's from the ground. If she is now vaulting on 3 it means it is 115 cm's from the ground. (I have no idea in inches, we only use cm's in Australia.

To give you an idea of what it is all about. In the olympics and at the international level. Women must vault on 5 (125 cm's). And men must vault on 7 (135 cm's).

From what I hear there are no limits in the USA as to what they can vault on. They can go as high or as low as they like. Here in Australia it is very strict. For us Level 5's must vault on at least 2. They can choose to have their vault set anywhere from 2-5. Our level 6's must vault on either 4 or 5 and our level 7-10's must all vault on 5.

Wow if half my five's had to vault on 2 they wouldn't make it! Lots of shorties, and some will make it over with mats stacked in the back but once the mats are gone they seem to think the technique changes ;)

DD's coach sets her at the same level as everyone else I think and she cant make it all the way over the table I'm hoping she sets it down for meets. (She is the shortest level 5)

My little 9 year old has to get over the vault at 115cm somehow.:eek: I wish we could adjust the ehight, but the only other option in Canada is 125cm.

She has until January to get it, but right now she might have to scratch. Shame as she rocked on vault last year.

In the UK the lowest seems to be 110. My 7 year old is having to go over 110cm.

Well I quess it is a good thing she can make it over at 3. I finally got a chance to see her do it tonight. She was so happy I think the vault is now her favorite event.

Our L5's practice with vault setting on 3 or 4. They alternnate, but my dd says she will actually compete with vault at 2. L6's vault at 6, or 4 when they are training with the L5's - no matter what their size is.

Is the heigth reflected in their score??? My daughter is competing L5 for the first time. Last two meets she has had a 7.75. I think she is doing it on a 2. She's getting over and taking one extra step. She's 8 and very small. Just curious!

Is the heigth reflected in their score??? My daughter is competing L5 for the first time. Last two meets she has had a 7.75. I think she is doing it on a 2. She's getting over and taking one extra step. She's 8 and very small. Just curious!

No, the judges do not factor in the height of the table setting. They look at the run, hurdle, position on the vault(handstand, piked, tucked), body form(tight, legs loose etc), the block and controlling the landing. Usually at L5 they don't "ding" them too much for taking 1 step. Vault goes so fast, that it is hard to really pick up all the little things the judges see. For instance if the head of the gymnast touches the vault table, they take .5 off(considered a fall). At a state meet where I was doing the scoring on vault the judges were taking that .5 if the girl's hair touched----didn't need to be the head.

That's why a lot of coaches want the girls' hair in buns during competition. Although I have never actually witnessed a judge taking off for hair, I could see that it could block their vies.

That's why a lot of coaches want the girls' hair in buns during competition. Although I have never actually witnessed a judge taking off for hair, I could see that it could block their vies.

For whatever reason, our coaches want their hair in nothing but ponytails. This is all very interesting. My daughter is so tiny she barely gets over the thing but maybe I will go ahead and do a bun for districts next month and see what happens.

No, the judges do not factor in the height of the table setting. They look at the run, hurdle, position on the vault(handstand, piked, tucked), body form(tight, legs loose etc), the block and controlling the landing. Usually at L5 they don't "ding" them too much for taking 1 step. Vault goes so fast, that it is hard to really pick up all the little things the judges see. For instance if the head of the gymnast touches the vault table, they take .5 off(considered a fall). At a state meet where I was doing the scoring on vault the judges were taking that .5 if the girl's hair touched----didn't need to be the head.

Whoa...there is no deduction for hair hitting the table...unless we are talking the hair right on the scalp! It's a 2.00 deduction for the head contacting the table, so I'm not sure what's going on where you are. Maximum deduction for an arm bend is .5.

Judges do not judge the run or hurdle or position on the board in Level 5 and up. Judging begins when the athlete leaves the table.

The reason a lot of coaches have the kids wear buns is that all of the USAG compulsory illustrations show an athlete wearing a bun.

I would have though the flight on and position on the table was judged. That is a surprise.

1. pre- flight (the part going to the table)

2. the actual vault

3. Post flight (the part off the table)-height, distance, landing, etc

Those are the 3 phases that are judged @ level 5 and up. There is no way that a judge took of for hair touching the table- most likely the athletes arms we so bent ( which is why her hair touched the table) she incurred the .5 deduction for bent arms.

Hair (buns, ponytails, etc) are a coaches preference. If its neat and pulled back, there isnt a deduction for hair. I have spoken to coaches before when I was judging about distracting hair styles that whipped all over-long long hair or those big fluffy hair scrunchies that make them look like cheerleaders. I wouldn't deduct for it, but hair definitely affects their look, so their artistry is affected if hair is crazy.

I'm just repeating what the head judge at that state meet said several times. If it wasn't clear if the head had touched the table and the hair(top of the head---not a pony) seemed to touch the table then she took the .5 deduction. I really don't think she looked at the arms although that would have been the cause of the head touching. Basically, this judge looked for a result of bent arms and if she saw it----she called it. She was also pretty vocal about how she hated judging vault.

Another thing I've heard alot from judges is seeing a "flop over" and not a real block and push off the table.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back