WAG Level 6 Beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

spider_monkey

Proud Parent
I'm a little confused about the actual requirements for level 6 beam.

I've found the USAG requirements list:

1. One acro element from Group 5, 6 or 7 (Must start & finish on beam)
2.One leap/jump requiring 180° cross or side split (Isolated or in a series)
3.Min. of 360° turn on one foot (Isolated or in a series)
4.Min. of “A” dismount, with or w/out hand support

But what are the acro elements in group 5, 6, and 7? I can't find that anywhere. I also see that they need 5 A skills and 1 B skill, is there a list of these skills as well? Is flight required in level 6 beam?

For example...if a gymnast does bwo, handstand, split jump/straight jump, full turn, tuck dismount, would this fulfill the requirements? Is the handstand and/or jump combo necessary? Does she still need a flight skill?

Thanks in advance. I'm trying to make sense of all of this!

I'm a little confused about the actual requirements for level 6 beam.

I've found the USAG requirements list:

1. One acro element from Group 5, 6 or 7 (Must start & finish on beam)
2.One leap/jump requiring 180° cross or side split (Isolated or in a series)
3.Min. of 360° turn on one foot (Isolated or in a series)
4.Min. of “A” dismount, with or w/out hand support

But what are the acro elements in group 5, 6, and 7? I can't find that anywhere. I also see that they need 5 A skills and 1 B skill, is there a list of these skills as well? Is flight required in level 6 beam?

For example...if a gymnast does bwo, handstand, split jump/straight jump, full turn, tuck dismount, would this fulfill the requirements? Is the handstand and/or jump combo necessary? Does she still need a flight skill?

Thanks in advance. I'm trying to make sense of all of this!

Group 5, 6, and 7 are: 5 (handstands), 6 (rolls) or 7 (walkovers/wheels, handsprings)

BWO = A - Meets SR #1
Handstand (vertical, held 2 seconds) = A - Meets SR #1
Split Jump (180º) = B ... gets credit as long as it is at least 135º, but with deductions - Meets SR #2
Straight Jump = A ... extra A skill
Full Turn = A - Meets SR #3
Tuck Dismount = A - Meets SR #4

That meets the 5 A and 2 B skills needed as long as they get credit for them all.

Flight is not required at Level 6.

I don't know all your answers.But I know flight skills are not required for level 6 (some gyms may have their own additional requirements.) I do believe that leap jump connection is not required but doing it builds experience. I also do not know if any of the skills you listed are B skills.

Group 5, 6, and 7 are: 5 (handstands), 6 (rolls) or 7 (walkovers/wheels, handsprings)

BWO = A - Meets SR #1
Split Jump (180º) = B ... gets credit as long as it is at least 135º, but with deductions - Meets SR #2

That meets the 5 A and 2 B skills needed as long as they get credit for them all.

Does the level 5 compulsory routine meet at the requirements for level 6?

Does the level 5 compulsory routine meet at the requirements for level 6?
I don't think the L5 dismount counts as a skill in Optionals... but a Roundoff off the end of the beam or a front handspring off the end do count.
Other than that, the L5 routine (although too many unnecessary skills) would meet the requirements as long as the split jump is 180º (or a minimum of 135º - with deductions).

I don't think the L5 dismount counts as a skill in Optionals... but a Roundoff off the end of the beam or a front handspring off the end do count.
Other than that, the L5 routine (although too many unnecessary skills) would meet the requirements as long as the split jump is 180º (or a minimum of 135º - with deductions).

Thanks. Just thinking level 5 is actually harder than level 6 in general. I know it has been discussed elsewhere on this list.

Thanks. Just thinking level 5 is actually harder than level 6 in general. I know it has been discussed elsewhere on this list.
Level 5 is harder than Level 6... Other than cast angles and split angles.
Bars - Level 5 has Kip, Cast above horizontal, Clear Hip Circle, Kip, Cast Squat On, High bar Kip, Cast above horizontal, Long Hang Pullover, Underswing/Tap Swing x2, Flyaway.
That is 13 skills to get deductions on.
Level 6 only needs 6 counting skills. In a perfect world: Kip, Cast Squat On, High bar Kip, Cast Handstand, Clear Hip Circle, Flyaway. If the cast isn't within 20° of handstand, I would do a low bar Front Hip Circle out of the Kip for an extra A to be safe.

Level 5 is harder than Level 6... Other than cast angles and split angles.
Bars - Level 5 has Kip, Cast above horizontal, Clear Hip Circle, Kip, Cast Squat On, High bar Kip, Cast above horizontal, Long Hang Pullover, Underswing/Tap Swing x2, Flyaway.
That is 13 skills to get deductions on.
Level 6 only needs 6 counting skills. In a perfect world: Kip, Cast Squat On, High bar Kip, Cast Handstand, Clear Hip Circle, Flyaway. If the cast isn't within 20° of handstand, I would do a low bar Front Hip Circle out of the Kip for an extra A to be safe.

Our gym feels like 5 is better prep for 7 than 6. I guess we will find out.

All this information (and more) can also be found in the JO Code of Points which can be purchased on the USAG website.

Thanks. Some of us are lazy (including me) and would rather just ask the group. I also have a hard time interpreting the Code of Points (parent not coach) and don't feel like buying something.

BWO = A - Meets SR #1

Thanks! This is very helpful.

Thanks. Some of us are lazy (including me) and would rather just ask the group. I also have a hard time interpreting the Code of Points (parent not coach) and don't feel like buying something.

Yep. All of this.

So what if a gymnast does split jump/flutter jump, full turn, BHS/tuck dismount combo? Wouldn't this be missing an A skill? I've seen this routine competed several times by a friend's daughter (USAG L6) and she scores very well on it.

So what if a gymnast does split jump/flutter jump, full turn, BHS/tuck dismount combo? Wouldn't this be missing an A skill? I've seen this routine competed several times by a friend's daughter (USAG L6) and she scores very well on it.
If the mount they do is an A mount, then all is good. And missing an A skill only lowers the Start Value by 0.1 (so 9.9 SV)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back