WAG Level 6 floor

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mOm2gymnast<3

Coach
Proud Parent
Hello again everyone!!! So my dd have a lv6 fx routine that is choreograph by the head coach, it is very simple. Her music is 1.00 min long. She can't dance really. I am worried her routine is just too plain compared to the rest of the LV 6s. She's also young. She does a little dance and then front aerial, and then onto her knees, to a switch leap to ring leap. And some ballet movements. Very simple. Then she goes to her robhsbt. To me, it looks very plain and boring compared to the rest to the girls that are choreograph by another coach. I'm worried she's gonna get deducted because of how plain and simple it is. What do judges look at a lv6 floor? Her skills are solid. Just not a very big dancer or artistic enough I think.

They may be trying to keep it simple till she learns the basics well and then they will add in additional dance elements. This is what is often done at our gym

Yes clean and all elements will score well. As she gets more comfortable with the music, she can add more, flair. It's fun but not necessary. My daughter scores very well with out a lot of "stuff".

That was my daughter's routine last year ( this year too for L7). The routine is really boring, but has beautiful music. I was worried, but she scored the same with the routine as she scored in the compulsory levels (9.5 and 9.6).

Fast forward to comp season. Some parent is going to get an account here and post with a concern/question. It will be about how their child is doing a whole heap of skills and dance in their routine and they are only scoring in the low nines while some little kid does practically nothing and is scoring 9.5 plus with a super short routine :)

Fast forward to comp season. Some parent is going to get an account here and post with a concern/question. It will be about how their child is doing a whole heap of skills and dance in their routine and they are only scoring in the low nines while some little kid does practically nothing and is scoring 9.5 plus with a super short routine :)

It doesn't have to be all or none :) my DD has a beautifully choreographed routine with plenty of dance but only the skills required for her level :) her routine is short at just under one minute (L7).

Since you can't get deducted for dance, I don't see why routines have to be plain to score well, as long as you don't pack it with unnecessary skills.

What does that mean? You can't be deducted for dance. There are plenty of deductions to be had in dance. Flexed feet,bent knees,leaps not to 180. A bunch of tenths that can kill your score. That's why our HC had DD's first optional floor routine very clean with as little dance as possible.

True story :D

I don't see why routines have to be plain to score well, as long as you don't pack it with unnecessary skills.
They don't have to be, they just can be.

And if your add things they are not comfortable with and don't do correctly they lose points.

It's rather simple if you don't have to do and can't do it well, don't do it.

my dd is going into level 6 so i don't have a ton of experience but we hosted lvl 6/7 states last year and the routines i thought were fun with some cool skills didn't score as high as i would have thought. the beam judges i sat with were commenting on beam routines that had too much in them. basically they are like get up do your skills (well) and get down. the more you put in, the more you can get marked off. don't put anything in the routine she can't do extremely well. i'll bet by the end of the year she will have switched things up. we do that at our gym. as soon as a 6 gets a skill down, it gets put into the routines. i'll bet she does really well with plain and simple right now!

What does that mean? You can't be deducted for dance. There are plenty of deductions to be had in dance. Flexed feet,bent knees,leaps not to 180. A bunch of tenths that can kill your score. That's why our HC had DD's first optional floor routine very clean with as little dance as possible.

By dance I mean choreography. Leaps and jumps and turns I count as skills as they are required. Don't add those unnecessarily either.

Omg, YES! You know it!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back