Parents Level 6 Meet#3 Report

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmom14

Proud Parent
We are back from our 3rd level 6 meet. 7:15 report time Sat am. Very early. The meet went well and dd was so excited for it.

Vault 8.65 - up from the first two meets. Her vault is inconsistant, but she did a very nice one at the meet. Thank god.

Bars 7.25 - dd is "bars challenged". but making great impovements. Her score improved from 6.55 and 7.15. She connected the whole upper bar routine and had straight arms on all three kips. This is huge for her. She is so proud.

Beam- 8.65 she loves beam. She did the most beautiful routine... until the full turn. It was one of the huge wobbles that looked impossible to save. She stayed on and was over time. Coach told her would have been a 9.2 without the wobble and overtime. But that is beam.

Floor- 8.9- up from 8.55. I am not sure if you will remember, but I posted her last floor and tried to have everyone guess her score. This routine was very pretty.

As for medals, they went out 5 places in her age group. She got 5th on vault, beam and floor. They went out 7 AA and she got 7th place.

I told her she should play the lottery with how lucky she was to get so many medals.

One more thought on medals. DD had a good day on all 4 events. Not a great day on any of them. But solid performance. Her awards group was given out last and everyone on her team won at least one medal. I got so worried that she would be the only one not to get a medal on her team. I was hoping that she was not upset. But still felt she did well. Anyway, then the awards ceremony and she won 4 medals. I was relieved, but I don't like how this sport makes you feel like you did better if you win medals. We had a long talk on the way home about how she should be just as proud of her scores regardless of medals. But even as an adult, it makes you feel like your child did better when they win medals. It makes me crazy because I try and down play medals to her, but then I find myself wanting her to win them. Do you all know what I mean?

She sure had some great improvements all around. Lovely to see that happen. Glad she got to hear that clank of bling.

As for the medal thing, we don't get many here. Groups tend to be large, often up to 30 and with big age ranges, and they only do medals to 3rd place. In my youngests league they don't always do AA either. So in the last year of meets neither of my girls got a medal on anything, medals here are like OMG amazing.

Considering how cheap medals are and how much parents pay for meets I really think that a placement medal would be nice. As in top thrid get gold, middle third silver and lowest get bronze. Something to remember and still wouldn't take away from the winners. They do this at our rec meets and it is lovely for all the kids.

Sounds like a very solid meet. Congratulations to your daughter!

As for the medals, during my daughter's 1st year of competition, everyone placed. (8 and under category) It was set up in such a way that there were Gold/Silver/Bronze scores. Only the coaches got to know the actual score of the athlete, and every kid felt successful! I miss that set up. Way more fun, way less pressure!

Canadian gym mom

Congrats to your DD on a nice meet~!

I completely understand what you mean about Medals! Up to this year, my DD had always been the youngest in her level from our team. There were several meets where Beetle would have a higher AA score or event score than her teammates but due to age groups not get a medal. It was really hard on her.

Medals sometimes feel like the final 'approval' on a meet. They can have a solid routine, get a solid score, but sometimes it doesnt really 'feel' approved until you get a placement.

As a parent it is really hard to see my daughters be upset over something silly like a medal. And I want to do everything I can to prevent her from being upset. I also know it is building character for her to have those feelings, to know she doesnt NEED the medal to know she did a good job. She needs to feel that on her own. But that doesnt mean that I can't WANT her to get a medal? right?

kristilyn you said that very well. Medals do seem to validate a good day. My dd had 4 good routines for her and I am very proud of her. The medals are icing on the cake.

Great scores and wonderful job by your dd.

Being competitive gymnastics, that is what the gymnasts strive for (ribbons/medals/trophies). The girls have to learn to put it into perspective and not let the reward (or not getting the reward) ruin the journey. The jouney stays with them a lot longer than any medal these girls receive. Becoming a gracious loser or winner is an important lesson in life and this sport has made our girls very grounded.

Great job at her meet! Lots of improvements, what more can we ask for?

The medal issue is near and dear to me. I don't think my little one will get medals this season and it breaks my heart. I don't think she is upset about it except right during medal ceremony, but it irritates me to no end that they can't give medals out all the way for AA. Especially when they are soo cheap in bulk and we pay huge amounts of money for the meets.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back