WAG Level 6 skills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

dbean

Proud Parent
Just curious what level 6 & level 7 skills your gym requires.

Our level 6 compete:

Bars:
- Minimum: kip, cast, free hip, squat on to high bar, kip, cast, tuck fly
- Goal: handstands on high and low and layout fly

Floor:
- Minimum: ROBHBT & FHFT (tumbling) Leap to side leap (leaps)
- Goal: ROBHLO & FHFP (tumbling) switch leap to leap???

Vault:
Front handspring

Beam:
Minimum: front tuck off beam and a back walkover
Goal: backwalkover back tuck off beam connected and back handspring

Not sure all of level 7 but know must have handstands, giants with spot, and layouts on bars. Layouts on floor. Back handspring on beam.

No real reason to ask than curiosity. My daughter is lvl 6 but will likely repeat because of back handspring on beam and handstand on bars...

we've not yet had anyone have to do level 6. but from what i understand, the chance of doing 6 is there if you've completed 5 but aren't ready for 7 by the time that season starts. (which, here, is only a month after level 5 season ends.)

for 7 our gym requires giants and BWOBHS series.

Our gym is new and has been tinkering with the requirements for the L5-6 transition the last 2 years

Currently, girls need to score a 36 at one level 5 meet to compete L6 that same year (compulsory in fall, optional in spring) and their Level 6 skills

For level 6 skills, very similar to yours, but need a cast very close to handstand on one bar and BHS on beam before they move up
For Level 7 they need giants and BWO-BHS series on beam (although we have one back extension roll series because she has back issues so they are open minded, sort of)

Last year, they scored a bunch of girls out of 5 and they competed 6 without BHS on beam or high casts on bars. They all got low-ish scores and almost all repeated L6 this season because of bars

Just curious what level 6 & level 7 skills your gym requires.

Our level 6 compete:

Bars:
- Minimum: kip, cast, free hip, squat on to high bar, kip, cast, tuck fly
- Goal: handstands on high and low and layout fly

Floor:
- Minimum: ROBHBT & FHFT (tumbling) Leap to side leap (leaps)
- Goal: ROBHLO & FHFP (tumbling) switch leap to leap???

Vault:
Front handspring

Beam:
Minimum: front tuck off beam and a back walkover
Goal: backwalkover back tuck off beam connected and back handspring

Not sure all of level 7 but know must have handstands, giants with spot, and layouts on bars. Layouts on floor. Back handspring on beam.

No real reason to ask than curiosity. My daughter is lvl 6 but will likely repeat because of back handspring on beam and handstand on bars...

Our minimum requirements for 6 are very similar. DD started with the minimum and by mid season upgraded to high and low bar handstands, layout on floor and cartwheel back tuck dismount for beam.

Move up to level 7 requires giants and back handspring series on beam.

Most of ourL6 do bare minimum.
These are my dd's current routines
Bars: Kip, cast (horizontal-ish), clear hip, kip, squat on, long hang kip, underswing dismount.

Beam, full turn, solit jump, straight jump, BWO, barani dismount

Floor: ROBHSBT, Front tuck, split leap, tuck jump, 1.5 turn

Our girls transition from Xcel to optionals so they aren't always as prepared as girls coming from L5. All but two of our girls are doing underswing dismounts instead of flyaways on bars because of fear issues. Initially I was glad for the flexibility but once they subbed out the easier skill they haven't worked on flyaways again all season even though dd feels ready to try one again.

We have girls doing ROBHSBHS on floor and even cartwheels on beam. Yes they meet the minimum requirements and I think its nice that they work around the fears and skill levels. However I do think that sometimes when the coaches are so willing to swap out one skill for an "easier" one that it kind of takes away some of the motivation to get the other skill back. I don't like the super stringent requirements some gyms put in place (requiring cast handstand, layouts, etc in L6) but I do think there should be continuous work on the more progressive skills as well. There is a happy medium to be found I think.

We score out of lv 5 (with minimum usag score) and compete 6. My DD's routines:

Bars: Kip CHS (not all the way), free hip, kip squat on, jump to high bar, kip cast, layout flyaway (some girls get to HS on both low bar and high bar, some do tuck flyaway, some girls do giants)

Beam: DD does BWO and BHS (gym requires 2 acro elements, I don't know why), full turn, split jump, CW BT dismount. (Some girls do BWO and CW, one does BWO, BWO, some do FT dismount). All girls do same basic routine (dance), with modifications for specific strengths and weaknesses.

Floor: 1st pass is RO, BHS, BT, 2nd pass is FT (some girls do FHS FT). My DD does a regular leap but is getting ready to add her switch leap, about 1/3 do that.
She was having trouble with the form on the straddle jump, was taken out and a diff one was added. She's ready to put it back in for next meet, I think.
Our first year 6s all do the same basic floor routine (same music), with some modifications made for specific strengths and weaknesses.

Our 7s need a giant, and maybe a series on beam.
Does anyone else's gym require 2 acro on beam for lv 6?

@raenndrops i will look up those skills...thanks
Level 6 is 5 A's and 1 B.
Bars: cast to horizontal or higher, a bar change, a clear circling skill, minimum of an A dismount from the high bar.
Beam: an acro skill, a full turn, a leap or jump with 180° cross or side split, minimum of an A dismount.
Floor: acro series with 3 directly connected skills with or without flight, an aerial or salto either isolated or in a second series, a full turn, and a dance series including a leap with 180° split.
Vault: front handspring or a group one vault with a maximum of 360° turn in one flight phase and a maximum of 540° turn total in both flight phases.

Our gym doesn't ever state specific requirements, and I'm not really sure of the future of Level 6 for us either, but for now, DD does compete 6, and she has a back handspring to 2 feet, and a fhs in her beam routine.

Level 6 is 5 A's and 1 B.
Bars: cast to horizontal or higher, a bar change, a clear circling skill, minimum of an A dismount from the high bar.
Beam: an acro skill, a full turn, a leap or jump with 180° cross or side split, minimum of an A dismount.
Floor: acro series with 3 directly connected skills with or without flight, an aerial or salto either isolated or in a second series, a full turn, and a dance series including a leap with 180° split.
Vault: front handspring or a group one vault with a maximum of 360° turn in one flight phase and a maximum of 540° turn total in both flight phases.
You are awesome..thank you!

L6 at the gym I trained at growing up:
Bars:
- Usual: kip, cast, clear hip, kip, squat on, HB kip, giant, flyaway
All HS and clear hips need to be above 45 degrees above horizontal, preferably to handstand. Flyaways are layouts unless the girl in question has a mental block or some issue with her flyaway. Giants do not have to be perfect form but they should be recognizably giants.

Floor:
- Usual: RO-BHS-BT, FHS-FT, RO-BHS-Lay; dance = whatever makes the gymnast's strengths shine, usually a 1.5 turn and switch leap + other leap combo
Some girls would only do two tumbling passes to minimize deductions if they weren't strong on floor.

Vault:
Front handspring

Beam:
- Usual: BWO-BWO and standing BHS, or BWO-BHS, or HS-BHS, depending on the gymnast's comfort level. BT dismount usually, in combination or alone.
You did not have to compete back tumbling if you weren't going to be advancing to higher levels or had a serious mental block.

L6 at the gym I trained at growing up:
Bars:
- Usual: kip, cast, clear hip, kip, squat on, HB kip, giant, flyaway
All HS and clear hips need to be above 45 degrees above horizontal, preferably to handstand. Flyaways are layouts unless the girl in question has a mental block or some issue with her flyaway. Giants do not have to be perfect form but they should be recognizably giants.

Floor:
- Usual: RO-BHS-BT, FHS-FT, RO-BHS-Lay; dance = whatever makes the gymnast's strengths shine, usually a 1.5 turn and switch leap + other leap combo
Some girls would only do two tumbling passes to minimize deductions if they weren't strong on floor.

Vault:
Front handspring

Beam:
- Usual: BWO-BWO and standing BHS, or BWO-BHS, or HS-BHS, depending on the gymnast's comfort level. BT dismount usually, in combination or alone.
You did not have to compete back tumbling if you weren't going to be advancing to higher levels or had a serious mental block.
For OP, these would all work for L7. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back