WAG Level 7 at 13?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am reading David and Goliath by Malcolm Gladwell. In this book, he describes some examples where smart, confident kids go to top-tier colleges - and all of a sudden in this new environment they feel very unsure of themselves and not so smart. But they truly ARE incredibly smart - they new to look at the bigger picture and population as a whole. When surrounded by all these incredibly smart and brilliant people, it is easy to feel dumb.

It is similar in gymnastics I think. Kids who are a bit older yet still methodically (sometimes, do I dare say, slowly) yet successfully making their way through the levels, look around them at some of the younger kids flying through the levels, or hone in on the kids who are better at them at certain events.

They forget to look at the big picture and they fail to realize what they do in the sport is incredible . The vast majority of people in the world can only dream of doing what they do.

I feel my role as a parent is to help my DD remember this and make sure she always had the enjoyment I see now, plus make sure the sport is a vehicle to help her develop her confidence and self assurance and awareness. (Plus myriad other positive benefits!!).
These are the reasons she does the sport.

It is so easy to focus on what skills/what age/what level - and you have to since that is part if the sport -but it is important not to forget that bigger picture.

I am reading David and Goliath by Malcolm Gladwell. In this book, he describes some examples where smart, confident kids go to top-tier colleges - and all of a sudden in this new environment they feel very unsure of themselves and not so smart. But they truly ARE incredibly smart - they new to look at the bigger picture and population as a whole. When surrounded by all these incredibly smart and brilliant people, it is easy to feel dumb.

It is similar in gymnastics I think. Kids who are a bit older yet still methodically (sometimes, do I dare say, slowly) yet successfully making their way through the levels, look around them at some of the younger kids flying through the levels, or hone in on the kids who are better at them at certain events.

They forget to look at the big picture and they fail to realize what they do in the sport is incredible . The vast majority of people in the world can only dream of doing what they do.

I feel my role as a parent is to help my DD remember this and make sure she always had the enjoyment I see now, plus make sure the sport is a vehicle to help her develop her confidence and self assurance and awareness. (Plus myriad other positive benefits!!).

It is so easy to focus on what skills/what age/what level - and you have to since that is part if the sport -but it is important not to forget that bigger picture.
Great post!! My DD will be attempting to compete 7 this season as a 13/14 year old.

What a GREAT post. I think this is more true of parents. They look around at the amazing things other kids are doing and forget how amazing what their own child is doing truly is. I'm so guilty of this.

After reading a review of the book, he also states, it is those who have suffered hardships, struggling through loses and gained a level of callousness who wins in life. I often worry about my sweet little girls, who have had a pretty easy life, not suffering enough hardship. Thanks for the great post and thanks for the book recommendation, I'm purchasing it today!!

My daughter had girls on her level 7 team this year who ranged in age from 9 to 13. They will all be level 8's next year, as long as they get their skills. I think your daughter is at a perfect age to compete at level 8. :)

I love this post! Thank you so much! I will definitely tell my daughter to look at the big picture and not focus on others! Thanks to everyone for all the answers!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back