WAG Level 7 beam series

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My dd will be doing BHS BHS for level 7. Probably not common in the general gymnastics population but it sounds like those who contribute to the CB community are not always "common."
Agreed! Kipper's gym requires BHS BHS for L7. We don't see this connection from many other gyms in our area, though.

What is a BHS BT dismount? Does it count as a series? Mine finds this easier than BWO BHS series......
For now her series will be a tick tock BWO.....she can do an unconnected BHS and then the BHS BT dismount....
L7
I don't think bhs bt dismount counts as a series. Mine is doing bwo bwo for her series bc she is doing the bhs bt dismount. I was wondering if she wasn't allowed to do bwo bhs for her series since she's doing bhs bt dismount, but it sounds like it would be allowed.

Agreed! Kipper's gym requires BHS BHS for L7. We don't see this connection from many other gyms in our area, though.

My daughter is slated to do the bhs bhs series for L7 and a cartwheel back layout for her dismount. She also does a tuck half turn. Some girls are doing a bwo bhs for their series and others a handstand bhs, depending on what their strength is.

A series is 2 connected skills ON the beam, so a BHS BT dismount is not a series. BHS BHS BT is a series.

Yes, series must start and finish ON the beam. Not mount or dismount. To the one who's daughter is doing BHS bt dismount, that is not a series, she will still have to do an acro series.

I'm curious about the handspring handspring into the dismount and needing the FWO too. Does a series count for less if it goes into your dismount? I always thought you could do that - series into a dismount and have the world's shortest beam routine ;). My DD gave me the impression that people don't do it cause it's very hard and most 7's just can't do that. What's the rule that required your DD to do the FWO - do you need to add another acro to the routine if you dismount out of the series? Or is it a count of B's or total skills?

This is the post I was referring to. HS-HS-into dismount is not a series and doesn't meet the requirements. You need an acro series that starts and finishes on the beam, not including mount or dismount. The series won't count at all if it goes into the dismount, and that means start value won't be above a 9.5. As for tumbling into the dismount, sure level 7s can do that. Many do.

This is the post I was referring to. HS-HS-into dismount is not a series and doesn't meet the requirements. You need an acro series that starts and finishes on the beam, not including mount or dismount. The series won't count at all if it goes into the dismount, and that means start value won't be above a 9.5. As for tumbling into the dismount, sure level 7s can do that. Many do.
Ok, lots of different stuff on this thread, but a BHS/BHS (or any two acro skills like BWO/BWO, BWO/BHS etc) connected to an immidiate dismount like a back tuck or layout is fine for a series. The series doesn't have to "pause" at the end of the series on the beam, the feet just have to land on on second acro skill in the series to count. Not sure if that's what you were saying or not but wanted to make sure it was clear.

Ok, lots of different stuff on this thread, but a BHS/BHS (or any two acro skills like BWO/BWO, BWO/BHS etc) connected to an immidiate dismount like a back tuck or layout is fine for a series. The series doesn't have to "pause" at the end of the series on the beam, the feet just have to land on on second acro skill in the series to count. Not sure if that's what you were saying or not but wanted to make sure it was clear.

Nope. A series is not a series, as a Special requirement, unless it starts and finishes on the beam. Not connected to a mount or dismount. You can do BHS-BHS-dsmt all you want, but it is NOT an acro series to fulfill a Special Requirement. If a gymnast is using BHS-BHS-back salto tucked dismount in place of a series, then she will not have a series.. It's in the code of points, you can read it there.

Nope. A series is not a series, as a Special requirement, unless it starts and finishes on the beam. Not connected to a mount or dismount. You can do BHS-BHS-dsmt all you want, but it is NOT an acro series to fulfill a Special Requirement. If a gymnast is using BHS-BHS-back salto tucked dismount in place of a series, then she will not have a series.. It's in the code of points, you can read it there.
When the code says "both elements must start/finish on beam", it does not mean you must stop and pause at the end of the second element. It means you can't do a BHS into a back tuck dismount and count that back tuck as a second element in the series, since it finishes off the beam. You can do a BHS/BHS series and then go into an immediate back tuck dismount, that is still a series, the second element in the series still finished on the beam.

This routine has a series dismount in it.
It starts at around :50

BHS-BHS into the dismount absolutely counts as a series...my dd competed it all last season (as did about 1/2 of her teammates). The beam coach is a judge as well. Based on her scores all season (high 9's) and winning L8 beam at Regionals, I'd be extremely shocked if it was not being credited as a series. That being said, she did do a FWO in her routine as well.

Is there confusion above with the "HS-HS" notation versus BHS-BHS? I see this done into a dismount so often at meets, I gotta think we're misunderstanding each other or something is being lost in translation here.

Two years ago, DD's teammate did BWO-BHS into a BT dismount and never had an issue with it counting as her series.

Lack of Fwd or Side AND backward skills is a compositional deduction, starting with L8. This is different than a required element. Required elements are worth .5, so big deduction if missing. Compositional deductions are more like .1, so unless dd has a consistent and clean FW/side element, it may not be worth it as their execution deduction can be greater than just leaving the skill out.

Can you explain further about this??? My dd is training lv 8 and I don't think she has anything that would qualify as this...although I haven't really seen her beam routine recently. Can you give me some examples please?

Thank you!

When the code says "both elements must start/finish on beam", it does not mean you must stop and pause at the end of the second element. It means you can't do a BHS into a back tuck dismount and count that back tuck as a second element in the series, since it finishes off the beam. You can do a BHS/BHS series and then go into an immediate back tuck dismount, that is still a series, the second element in the series still finished on the beam.

I'm used to parents having different interpetation of things. But I have to say 2 judges arguing points on what a series is a bit disconcerting.

It does however explain when you are used to your kid scoring one way and then you go to "that" meet and you think holy cow where did that score come from.

I know of two girls, both from different teams, who did exactly the bhs bhs series into a bt dismount....both always scored amazing....apparently it counts as a series where we live!

I know of two girls, both from different teams, who did exactly the bhs bhs series into a bt dismount....both always scored amazing....apparently it counts as a series where we live!
The series is the Bhs-Bhs it starts and finishes on the beam. The added dismount does not negate the series. I see this series and dismount at every meet. I have never seen it not count.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back