level 7 changes

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have the old jo code of points and it is really expensive to buy a new one...are there any major changes in level 7? I am planning to compete level 7 aau this year (they use USA rules for beam, bars, and floor).

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm level 7 too, so I might be able to sum it up for you:

Bars: You need to cast to at least 45* above horizontal (almost handstand)
I believe that you need a clear hip to the same height
Giants are not required, but you need two B skills (two clear hips, a clear hip and a giant, ect.)

Beam: You need at least one 180* split jump/leap
You need a flight skill (back handspring, round-off)
You need two skills connected (cart-wheel cart-wheel, back walkover back walkover, back walkover back handspring)

Floor: You need a back layout
I believe you need a front tumbling pass (front handspring front tuck/pike/layout)
A leap pass
A full turn or 1 1/2 turn
A gym/acro, a dance and tumbling move connected in either order (straddle jump back handspring)

Vault: Any vault, but a front handspring still has a 10.0 start value so every one does it.

If I'm incorrect, please correct me, but I'm pretty sure this is what you need.

-GCG

Some skills changed value.

So you really may need to get a copy or find someone who does have one to see if skills you are doing changed

I don't know that many rules changed at L7. The cast requirement, I guess. I suppose the dance series thing applies to 7 too, but that opens up options rather than takes them away and something that met the old requirements meets the new ones. Cast will be a big issue at higher levels where girls were doing releases out of small cast pushaway. Here most L7s were casting to handstand or close. There was previously a cast requirement at that level, though of course that only applies to one cast. Personally I would have left it as is in L7 but L7 bar scores have been getting really high here and I kind of look forward to the separation this should impose. It will be interesting. Although I guess those not meeting the requirement before...:eek: It's the L9 bar scores I'm scared to see though...those could already be touch and go without any further requirements.

Skill value changes that would affect L7...can't think of any off the top of my head. L7 skills stay pretty standard here.

Here most L7s were casting to handstand or close. There was previously a cast requirement at that level, though of course that only applies to one cast. Personally I would have left it as is in L7 but L7 bar scores have been getting really high here and I kind of look forward to the separation this should impose.
That is pretty much what I was referring to. The amount of changes was not that drastic on paper, but it affected how everyone does their routines and the scores most gymnasts got as a result. I also agree that these changes are for the better (and yes even for L7) even though it made scoring more complicated for the judges. The new system separates the gymnasts in a much more definitive way.

Mmm, I would have to disagree that the casting rule is more complicated for judges. If anything, the cast rule is easier to apply because it is consistent across all optional levels.

From a gymnastics standpoint, I suppose I could see where L9s might run into trouble if they learned bails or releases from a small cast, but the changes were out before the end of the regional meets last year-- there was plenty of time over the summer to adjust. (Several of my teammates and I learned bails this summer, and we all learned them from a giant. I don't think the process was more difficult than in previous years, when they learned bails from smaller casts). I think L8 was affected by the rule changes more than any other level, and I do wish that L7s could do more selected Cs (switch leaps on beam, double turns on floor).

The cast angle wasn't the only "new" L7 thing they focused on (and I agree that that was pretty objective and easy). There were the two-group circles and the much stricter 2 B requirement on bars; 180 split, tighter connection on beam; and the jump/leap sequence; etc. ...granted some of these may not be new, but they have been pretty lax around here in the past.

Let's just say that the meet went about 20-25% longer than anticipated and there was a pretty long wait time between competitors.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back