Level 7 Requirements

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmom14

Proud Parent
Can someone please tell me what the new requirements are for level 7 for next season? I read the USA website and cannot understand it.

Hi, our owner came out just yesterday and was saying that the requirements for all Optionals were changing next season (at least in region 5). The special requirements for L7 were getting much tougher, most of it having to do with the bar skills. It kinda sounds like they really want the gymnast to do a giant at L7. The deductions for not casting above 3/4 and not hitting clear hip at 3/4 and with an new added special requirement of a rotating (circling) element.....they really get nailed on start value.

Our gym has always opted out of L6 in favor of moving on to L7, but the owner is considering having a L6 team next season for the 1st time (due to all those new special requirements on bars). She wants to sit down and really study the new rules before making any decisions though.

As far as the other events.....mind you these are last years requirements,...
BEAM - a flight (could be bhs, or round-off), a series (cartwheel-cartwheel, or back walkover-back walkover [preferred], and jump series (split jump-tuck jump..example)

VAULT - front handspring (same as L6, just more height and blocking is expected)
FLOOR- Front tumling pass (front handspring step out-front tuck), there's another front tumbling I think, 2 back tumbling passes ( backhandspring-back layout, and bhs-back tuck), jump series, 1 1/2 turn.

That's what I can remember, I hope that helps some. My dd is training L6/L7 now, so we haven't competed it yet. I'm going by what the owner & L7 parents were telling me. Hopefully I didn't forget much, lol

LOL I think most get confused when getting to optionals. I just trust that the gym and coaches know what is needed and will let the girls and us know when the time comes. I figure they are working on the skills they need and don't need parents interfering with the coaching.

I also trust the gym and coaching staff, but I don't think that it hurts any to be knowledgeable in this area. As long as one is not trying to coach their dd, what harm can it be to know what your dd is up against in the next level. There is definately a difference between a knowledgeable parent who justs want to know whether their dd has a shot at moving up levels, and an agressive coaching parent pushing their dd to the next level,lol. Hopefully no one here falls into that latter category.

Anyway, good luck figuring it out.

The official new COP for 2009-2013 will be available in print on June 1. It is a national change(not just a regional one). From looking on the USAG site, I really didn't see any real significant change to L7. L8-10 will have more skills moved up or down. The circling requirement has been there on bars---2 circling elements required. It can be met by doing 2 clear hips, a clear hip/giant are most common. I think beam is staying pretty much the same with an acro series, full turn, leap that hits 180. Actually many of the special requirements for the different levels are not changing, its the skills allowed to meet those requirements that will change at some levels.

The official new COP for 2009-2013 will be available in print on June 1. It is a national change(not just a regional one). From looking on the USAG site, I really didn't see any real significant change to L7. L8-10 will have more skills moved up or down. The circling requirement has been there on bars---2 circling elements required. It can be met by doing 2 clear hips, a clear hip/giant are most common. I think beam is staying pretty much the same with an acro series, full turn, leap that hits 180. Actually many of the special requirements for the different levels are not changing, its the skills allowed to meet those requirements that will change at some levels.

Thanks gym law mom, good to know.

Hey!
Level 7 bars stays the same, EXCEPT-
One of the special requirements has been changed from a bar change to one "A Value" cast, minimum 45 degrees from vertical. The other big change that will impact L7 is that the clear hip has to be above horizontal to get "B value" credit. If the clear hip severely lacks amplitude, the gymnast will get an A credit for it (same as a back hip circle) and will be missing a B in their routine. These changes do NOT encourage L7s to do giants....just to have better execution.

Actually, the "A" cast requirement has been a requirement for 2 or 3 years now. It's not new. Personally, I am thrilled about clear hips needing to hit horizontal to get a B-- level 6s are expected to hit 30* above horizontal, so I don't see why level 7s shouldn't be that high, anyway.

The requirements for L7 are more or less the same as they were last year; the only change in the SRs is that the leap series on floor has been relaxed a bit to allow chasses, chaine turns, and running steps between the skills.

Hey!
Level 7 bars stays the same, EXCEPT-
One of the special requirements has been changed from a bar change to one "A Value" cast, minimum 45 degrees from vertical. The other big change that will impact L7 is that the clear hip has to be above horizontal to get "B value" credit. If the clear hip severely lacks amplitude, the gymnast will get an A credit for it (same as a back hip circle) and will be missing a B in their routine. These changes do NOT encourage L7s to do giants....just to have better execution.

Good to know, the our owner hadn't had a chance yet to go over the rule changes, so she was guessing when she was talking about it. Plus, I am SO not a gymnast, so this was my take on what she was saying. I may be totally off base, seeing as most of it goes over my head, lol

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back