Level 7 Tumbling ideas for Floor?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have literally just moved up to level 7, and my coaches decided to let me compete in the following winter/spring. Being generally fearless (to a fault) I have a lot of options for floor. I can do front handspring front tuck, pike, and layout, but my layouts need practice. On floor, back tumbling is not my best tumbling type, but I can do a layout, but I'm not sure if I should twist. My coaches are fine with all of these options, but I do get a choice, which I'm not sure about.

Thanks!!!

-GCG

As usual, the advice for L7 is to keep it simple. At least for most meets. Of course there's nothing stopping you from testing out some of the harder skills, especially if you might move up to 8 next year. But basically, for most of the season, especially at States or anything else that might be really important to you, stick with a back layout (if you say it's not your strong point, you might want to perfect your basics,..it's crucial for twisting) and a front tuck/pike (whichever you prefer / find easier to control). Okay, it's kinda dull, because that's what everyone's doing, but there's a reason why... it'll really help you with twisting and combination passes, if it your basics are rock solid.

Scoring wise there is no advantage to doing the harder skills in level 7. A simple back layout, and a handspring front tuck will score very well. There is no benefit to competing the harder skills, as most likely you will be deducted more and score lower with the harder skills.

However, if it isn't all about winning for you then its a good way to make sure the harder skills get practiced during comp season. For example in some gyms once comp season starts you might just focus on your routines so you won't get to practice the harder skills unless they are in your routines.

L7 is a transitional level which many would consider as half compulsory and half optional.

Not as a trained person but as a parent, I agree with what everyone else already pointed out...

At a competition, stay with the basic skills that you know and you can do well. At the gym, start working on harder skills when you're ready for them while you're perfecting the basic ones. Not only are poorly executed skills damaging to your scores, they also hurt your development advancing into higher level -- not mentioning it could be a safety factor.

You have plenty of chances in the future to pull those big skills off. Just be patient! Wouldn't you rather be rewarded for what you do instead being penalized for doing them?

You HAVE to do a back layout, so keep that in mind. If you choose to twist, you'll be doing the required back layout at the end probably, which may rack up deductions. I would focus on a strong, clean, tight layout at this point, rather than pushing twisting too hard. When it's time to add more twists, the basics will be important.

Front layouts are a nice skill to have, but harder to stick in my opinion. Better for level 8 when there's a two salto pass. Might be worth it to start competing now and take some landing deduction, maybe later in the season and leading up to states change it to a pike (might be easier to land for you).

Three passes is pretty ubiquitous in L7 here, but I gather that in some areas that is not the case and two pass routines are pretty standard. I don't even know that some people in my state would realize a two pass routine is allowed in level 7 ;) But I'd do whatever will stay competitive within the region I guess. If almost everyone is doing two passes, you probably don't want three, unless you're going to move up to level 8 very soon and need to practice that.

i am also level 7, and i have a layout, fhs front tuck or pike, and a tuck.
it is probably best to stick with the simpler skills, but i don't know.

The thing is, I can land my front tuck and pike the same, but my layouts probably aren't ready yet. I'm thinking about doing a pike because is anything I can stick the better than tucks (over rotation) and they are considered a B skill when out of a front handspring (I think). I'm perfectly fine skipping the twisting. I just changed ways, so I'm still new to it. And does any one know if a switch-side is allowed in level 7?

-GCG

THANKS!!!

Well, my tumbling passes are handspring pike, layout full, and roundoff bhs back layout bhs backtuck.

Since you're better at front tumbling, I guess you coulld put a front pike, a back layout ( you need to do this ) and I guess if you get your hs layout better you could do that (and woah, you have this skill?!?) or you could do a simple back tuck.

Thanks Christian Gymnast! In case your wondering about the front layout, I spend a LOT of time on floor, and my coaches have figured out that I'm not at all afraid to fall on my face which is both good and bad and occurs often. Back layout sounds like a good idea, and front pike I think I will be able to pull off with out being to ridiculous.

THANK YOU!!!

The Just Add Water Routine

The thing is, I can land my front tuck and pike the same, but my layouts probably aren't ready yet. I'm thinking about doing a pike because is anything I can stick the better than tucks (over rotation) and they are considered a B skill when out of a front handspring (I think). I'm perfectly fine skipping the twisting. I just changed ways, so I'm still new to it. And does any one know if a switch-side is allowed in level 7?

-GCG

THANKS!!!

If your front pike is just as good as your tuck then pike it. In opinion pikes are easier to stick if you are good at hitting the position. It is also an opportunity to get an extra B in case you flub up one of the other two required Bs so now you have a back up to make sure no matter what happens you get full difficulty. Also all of my Level 7s have two tumbling passes, ROBHS back laoyout and FHS front pike. We also placed them in their routines where they would be the first and second passes in a three pass routine and then do a round-off straddle jump where their third would go giving us two B skills and then add another easy B like a switch leap for one gymnast and side leap for another gymnast giving us three Bs and the ability to keep the same routines for Level 8 and just add water (the third pass).

That's a good point. Layouts aren't my thing, so I might pike down on accident and lose my B skill. But isn't it REQUIRED to have a back layout?

Yes. As previously mentioned, a layout back salto is a special requirement for level 7. Your coaches should have access to or knowledge of the JO code, which contains this information, although the SR chart is somewhere on the USAG website anyway. But perhaps you could ask them for input about your routines.

That's a good point. Layouts aren't my thing, so I might pike down on accident and lose my B skill. But isn't it REQUIRED to have a back layout?

FRONT pikes are a B value, BACK layouts are a requirement and an A value. You have to do a back layout in your L7 routine and a front pass with at least two skills, one of them being a salto.

Well, the level 7 competition season starts in January, but I'm probably going to wait until February because I just finished my level 6 season a month ago. We already ordered my floor music, and my coach has been dropping hints about starting both my floor and beam routine these next few weeks. (yay!) :hyper:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back