Parents Level 7 Vault Scores

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

pagymmom

Proud Parent
Hello,
First time posting here. Our daughter is doing pretty well in L7 but no matter what she does in a meet her vault score is almost always between 8.6 and 8.8. She scores in the mid 9s on all other events. This video is from her meet today and while I thought it was her best vault ever and her coach did too she still got a ...8.675.

Here is a link to the video. I know this is not the best angle but maybe someone can see.

Thanks,
Torrie

Overall... looks pretty good... just needs lots more power. Remember... these are timer vaults... so overall they are supposed to be "timing" the actual flipping vault.

Some club are also going straight to their back at L7 now that they rules have changed to allow that.

I do believe that L6/7 vault is helping with L8 vault... however... the overall scoring of it is all over the place. You could pretty much compete an athlete with a full twisting layout Yurchenko at L6/7 and they couldn't even get a 9.5. It's not the judges fault though... they are basically trying to judge a "drill".

I am part of a scoring help group on Facebook, and the highest scoring level 7 vaults have the girls missing their feet. They should look like they are ready to flip the vault.

I’ll just leave it at the 6s and 7s who can flip a vault to their feet (and the 7s can do it better than the currently competing 8s), have the lowest scoring timer vaults at meets.

Vault is the most frustrating event to watch right now seriously

I also have a few flippers in 7 that all score lower than non-flippers with ~pretty form~...
Pretty annoying but we expect it now and are just going to focus on air-awareness, stacking mats up and actual flipping vaults

Yes we are also the same way. The non flippers also have huge score variations meet to meet and the flippers don't. I am talking more than a point. 9.2 to 7.9 to 9.1 to 8.0

Reactions: sun
Mine does a timer and has scored 8.4 and 9.2. I couldn't see that much difference between them. Its so frustrating!

When they made this change back when my daughter was a level 6, the scoring felt like someone threw a deck of cards in the air and just pulled a random card for the score. It never made sense. At the level 6 state meet, they posted the four judge panel’s scores on the screen, and I’m not kidding, one judge gave an 8.2 and another gave her a 9.0. It really did seem to help with the transition to level 8 though regardless of the crazy scoring.

When DD was at level 7 if you were high 8s low 9s you were crushing it and usually top 3 I think she got 3rd in a bigger meet once with an 8.9. I wouldn't worry too much. I found that those that did the Tsuk timers scored better because it was easier to do with better form but I think that the Yurchenko timer is better for long term development especially if thats the vault they are planning for her at higher levels. Where I am even the level 8 vaults dont score that high DD got 1st place with a 9.1 this weekend and the highest Vault score I saw all session was like a 9.25.

My sister was getting some serious height with a beautiful block in her yurchenko timer her first two meets, but she had a super slow post flight, and both judges scored 8.3-8.6 those meets. My sister's third meet, she was missing her feet, with fast, high vaults, although MANY form breaks such as feet apart on board punch, archy pre-flight, and pikey post flight The judges scored her an 8.9 I think. At that big meet they gave out many places, she placed w/ 8.9 but not top 3. Seems like they just judge the flip-ability of your vault, (height, speed, where you are upon landing) and your form. Your daughter has beautiful form, but she's lacking dynamics.

On another note, at my sister's 3rd meet, noticed 1st place got a 9.6, 9.7 or 9.8, can't remember, and her team had flawless vaults, so judges seem to be quite reasonable where I am.

Thanks. Does she just need to weigh more? I know some little girls can really vault. She is 10 and in practice she is flipping the vault but they haven't moved out of the pit yet. They have not let some of the other girls flip in her level so just trying to figure out how to get her more power. She is extremely strong and is actually quite good at long jump and not bad at triple so I assumed that would help but maybe not.

My dd had trouble with L7 vault two years ago and this year ( little gym and no competition in 2021 related to covid) had a blast with a 9.550 at her first meet in two years (tchuk timer). Had a grow spurt ( still small). She is a powerfull gymnast with a not so good form.

Found this great article about level 6 & 7 vault scores. It has very helpful video examples and scores at the end too! Hope this helps :) It surely was helpful to me. My daughter will be competing level 6 this year and I had no idea what the vault even looked like lol. Competitions were cancelled because of Covid, but are back on in March, YAY!! Haven't seen my daughter compete in a really long time!

https://thegymnasticsguide.com/tips-and-resources-to-boost-your-level-6-7-vault-score/

Thanks. Does she just need to weigh more? I know some little girls can really vault. She is 10 and in practice she is flipping the vault but they haven't moved out of the pit yet.
I dont think weight matters that much. My kiddo is one of the lightest ones on her team and has one of the best vaults now that they are flipping vaults. I think shes maybe 80lbs. There is one girl even smaller than her who is doing a piked Yurchenko no problem. If your kiddo is already flipping into the pit thats great! I just think they score the timers really hard.

She doesn’t need to weigh more. I’ve seen some tiny tiny kids be amazing vaulters and our 2nd highest vault score consistently comes from a girl who has to weigh around 65 lbs. The goal is to flip, if she can flip, that’s good.

The tsuk timer is killing my daughters AA, her yurchenko is much better :( we are understaffed and the tsuk can be safely done with minimal supervision so I understand why our level is stuck with it but it’s 100% going to stop her from going to regionals. Let’s see what next weeks meet brings lol

My daughter also struggled level 7 vault. I think she had 1-2 meets with a score in the 9s. She is a level 8 now.. scoring in the mid to high 9s on vault!! It is like she had the power just didn’t know how to use it for the timer! But her yurchenko pikes are so good! I wouldn’t worry too much if she can flip into a pit for level 7 practice

My DD is a level 7. At one meet she scored over a 9.35 and then the next meet she scored almost a full point lower. I couldn’t tell any difference between the vaults. This past weekend, I watched one of her teammates score an 8 and then mine scored an 8.8. The vaults looked nearly identical. I have asked many opinions and no one seems to be able to figure out vault scoring. It’s like the “grab bag” apparatus. You just never know what you are getting until the score pops up.

I'm definitely no expert on the L7 vault, and I also watch a bunch of girls go and it mostly looks the same so I can't tell where exactly the scores come from. But my daughter has been a strong vaulter so far, did really well in 5 with a good front handspring, and this seems to translate to the 7 vault. She scores well and I believe it's a fast run, good block off the table, and good propulsion. I think mastering the front handspring really helps build to the 7 vault. She can land her tsuck pike onto a mat and I'm hoping vault continues to be a strong event for her into 8.

I'm definitely no expert on the L7 vault, and I also watch a bunch of girls go and it mostly looks the same so I can't tell where exactly the scores come from. But my daughter has been a strong vaulter so far, did really well in 5 with a good front handspring, and this seems to translate to the 7 vault. She scores well and I believe it's a fast run, good block off the table, and good propulsion. I think mastering the front handspring really helps build to the 7 vault. She can land her tsuck pike onto a mat and I'm hoping vault continues to be a strong event for her into 8.

This seems to have hit a button with a lot of gym parents :)

Yes, I am not OVERLY concerned about it because she is flipping her Yurchenko into something for next year but in our region it is certainly all over the place - the scores. There is one girl on our team who is an excellent vaulter and you can tell that even in L7 and she scores 9.4 some meets and 8.5 some meets with virtually the same vault while others who score 8.0 in her 9.4 meet score 9.0 in her 8.5 meet. It is almost like they shouldn't score it.

Reactions: JBS

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back