WAG Level 8 Beam Questions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have been trying to do some research on Level 8 beam and I am still quite confused about the requirements. Here is the routine...
-Press handstand mount (held for 2 seconds)
-bhs-bhs
-switch leap
-full turn
-tuck jump flutter
-front tuck dismount
Would this routine be considered "up to level" or if it isn't what is the deduction for it not to be up to level? What could be added to the routine for it to be "up to level"? Anything would help as I haven't had much experience with the JO levels quite yet:)

I’m new at this (just got a copy of the code and am not a judge, but from what I see:

Acro is fine
Dance — I think is ok (I think the press mount counts as dance)
Dismount - 0.10 up to level
Needs B connected to A or B dismount for no deduction.

I’m new at this (just got a copy of the code and am not a judge, but from what I see:

Acro is fine
Dance — I think is ok (I think the press mount counts as dance)
Dismount - 0.10 up to level
Needs B connected to A or B dismount for no deduction.
Okay thank you so much!

I have been trying to do some research on Level 8 beam and I am still quite confused about the requirements. Here is the routine...
-Press handstand mount (held for 2 seconds)
-bhs-bhs
-switch leap
-full turn
-tuck jump flutter
-front tuck dismount
Would this routine be considered "up to level" or if it isn't what is the deduction for it not to be up to level? What could be added to the routine for it to be "up to level"? Anything would help as I haven't had much experience with the JO levels quite yet:)
When I was in level 8, I'm now L10 we had one connected skill: bhs bhs, a leap, full turn, jump combination, and a flight dismont which I did a front tuck. and dance

I think the aero is fine, as a coach, I would put in an additional split jump or sissone, to make sure that the 180 degree split requirement is achieved. At times my new level 8's would not meet the requirement with their switch leaps in super tough meets. Best of luck!!! Additionally, I required all level 8's to compete a RO LO dismount!

This routine would receive an up to the level deduction for all three up to the level composition categories. (It does meet all of the special requirements and value part requirements, so it would start from a 10.)

Acro: we are looking for 4 acro skills (not including the dismount). 2 Bs in the series ✅, one additional B (press handstand) ✅ and 1 other skill that can be an A...that is what is missing. Right now we would take .05 for this category (which is probably less than the execution you might get by adding another random skills.

Dance: We are looking for 2 B dance skills and 1 A. Right now this routine has 1 B (switch counted as a B at L8) and 3 A dance skills. Change that tuck jump to a split jump and you are in business. Just make sure it stays connected to the flutter or you have a whole different composition deduction for no dance series. Currently the up to the level deduction would be .1.

Dismount: We are looking for a B dismount or a B acro skill connected to an A dismount. This routine has a single A dismount receiving a .1 deduction. Examples would be: Front layout from 2 feet (B), roundoff back tuck (B+A).

You didn’t ask...but this routine also only has a forward/sideward acro skill as the dismount. This also gets a .05 deduction. (Some judges may consider the press mount as a forward or sideward element. I wouldn’t unless you are exiting the skill in some way that is forward or sideward.)

You didn’t ask...but this routine also only has a forward/sideward acro skill as the dismount. This also gets a .05 deduction. (Some judges may consider the press mount as a forward or sideward element. I wouldn’t unless you are exiting the skill in some way that is forward or sideward.)

If you did a round off tuck dismount would that meet the forward/sideways requirement?

My daughter doesn't do well at front moves on beam right now (front walk over tick-tock etc) so that's good to know thanks!

Yes...it would also eliminate the up to the level acro deduction and the up to the level dismount deduction.

wow such great in formation! so for level 8 routine
A mount
BHSBHS
single turn
split jump/changement
ROBLO dismount
would either FWO or switch leap make it meet requirement? or would gymnast need both?

So, the big questions about the routine from Megamom is: what is the mount? and what is a changement?

I'm going to break this routine down into the categories we look at:

Start Value:
If the mount is not an A mount, then this routine only has 7 counting skills (assuming that "changement" translates into some sort of straight jump). So, it would have a 9.9 Start value. Otherwise, it meets all of the Special Requirements (there are 4) and has 4 B skills.

Acro Composition:
She has an acro series with 2 B flights (two backhandsprings) and one additional B acro skill (roundoff). This will get a 0.05 comp deduction. If she adds another acro skill (which could be the mount - press handstand, or a FWO, or a backroll, or anything else...) then that would meet all of the composition expectation. HOWEVER - There is very little chance of adding an additional acro skill on beam that might not see some sort of deduction...so this is a weigh your options moment. Take the 0.05 comp deduction...or risk it in execution with an additional skill.

Dance Composition:
Currently her dance skills are a split jump (b), straight jump - I think (a), and a full turn (a). This would see a .1 comp deduction. She would need two Bs and one A for no deduction. That could be as simple as replacing the straight jump with a second split jump. But, a switch leap would do it too. BUT - make sure she doesn't lose the jump connection...that will lose her .2 for lack of dance series.

Dismount Composition:
Good shape there!

Hope this helps!

@gympanda you are awesome with the composition questions! Gonna come back and ask questions when I have a better idea on what her routine looks like. I really like how you break it all down thanks!

@gympanda you are awesome with the composition questions! Gonna come back and ask questions when I have a better idea on what her routine looks like. I really like how you break it all down thanks!
Always happy to help! I have a parent education session I will do for gyms and I always feel like if parents can understand that judging is complex and less straightforward than they may think, we are all better off! Gymnastics isn't like t-ball (says this mom with a 5 yo) that everyone can watch and understand the rules and outcomes. So allowing parents (and sometimes coaches!) to understand where scores come from is important and I am always happy to be helpful!

So, the big questions about the routine from Megamom is: what is the mount? and what is a changement?

I'm going to break this routine down into the categories we look at:

Start Value:
If the mount is not an A mount, then this routine only has 7 counting skills (assuming that "changement" translates into some sort of straight jump). So, it would have a 9.9 Start value. Otherwise, it meets all of the Special Requirements (there are 4) and has 4 B skills.

Acro Composition:
She has an acro series with 2 B flights (two backhandsprings) and one additional B acro skill (roundoff). This will get a 0.05 comp deduction. If she adds another acro skill (which could be the mount - press handstand, or a FWO, or a backroll, or anything else...) then that would meet all of the composition expectation. HOWEVER - There is very little chance of adding an additional acro skill on beam that might not see some sort of deduction...so this is a weigh your options moment. Take the 0.05 comp deduction...or risk it in execution with an additional skill.

Dance Composition:
Currently her dance skills are a split jump (b), straight jump - I think (a), and a full turn (a). This would see a .1 comp deduction. She would need two Bs and one A for no deduction. That could be as simple as replacing the straight jump with a second split jump. But, a switch leap would do it too. BUT - make sure she doesn't lose the jump connection...that will lose her .2 for lack of dance series.

Dismount Composition:
Good shape there!

Hope this helps!
Totally helpful. Mount is a simple A mount, and changement is what some people call flutter jump? Basically yes, a straight jump with beats (hope that makes sense). seems quite hard to connect switch leap split jump, so another B valued jump connected to the split jump might be a better choice, like tuck jump half turn? but then agaIn I guess having two B valued jumps connected with two opportunities to get the 180* split is also good, in case one doesn't get credit for the split on one of them.

Given that the rest of the routine meets requirements and is up to level, can you do a cartwheel arabian or BWO arabian dismount in level 8? DD has long standing mental blocks with roundoff.

My gym usually only had girls doing press handstands when they can do it as easy as a forward roll. Some of them did like 10 press mounts. Everybody else did a jump to handstand or a run and jump up. One girl was super strong and flexible, and she did a press handstand, straddle planche, but mostly did a press up in competition. Another trained a press handstand, full pirouette, step down but competed a regular press.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back