Parents Level 8 Beam series

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MuggleMom

Proud Parent
Can you do a handstand back tuck for your level 8 beam series?

DD is returning from back fractures and beam is probably the biggest strain on her back. She did BHs tuck last year for level 8 but doing enough bhs to get comfortable with the series is too much for her back right now. Her coach doesn’t want to do cartwheeel round off cause it doesn’t score well but I would rather her not score well than over train a bhs or not do beam. Bwo FWo tick toc fhs are all probably out with her back this year. Any other series I am not thinking of? I suggested cartwheel tuck and kiddo looked at me like I have two heads lol

A handstand back tuck would be an A non-flight connected to a C flight. This meets the series requirements for level 8. Unfortunately it would incur at least -0.1 in composition deductions (depends on whether there are any other A or B acro elements in the routine). Probably a small enough deduction to still go with that series. Another option is a roundoff back tuck (landing on the beam), but this is a rather difficult series.

It does not meet the series requirement for level 8. Unlike level 6 and 7, an element that requires a 2 second hold cannot be used as the first element in the series at 8/9/10.

My apologies for misunderstanding the handstand requirements. I have seen a couple handstand back handsprings in level 8 in competitions before, but I suppose those did not receive credit. I'd delete my comment if I could! I do still believe that a roundoff back tuck is a potential alternative. Or does anyone know if something with a back extension roll may work?

Don’t beat yourself up, I’ve seen judges with years of experience not know this rule. Yes, rolls can be used as one element in a level 8 series and so can a press handstand, because it doesn’t require a hold.(not a press mount, but a press HS that starts on the beam)

Another series to consider is a dive-cartwheel roundoff. Fills the two flights connected rule and also scores pretty well as it can be done cleanly.

Back handspring connected to a round off may be an option. She would have to switch her step out leg on the back handspring but it might be ok for her back.

Back handspring step out connected to a round off may be an option. She would have to switch her step out leg on the back handspring but it might be ok for her back

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back