Parents Level 8 Beam Start Value

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MuggleMom

Proud Parent
Beam this year has been an emotional journey for DD. So....She is pivoting from bhs bhs for now just to do something to maybe get a routine together before the end of the season so she can qualify to regionals. She will score low 9s on vault and floor and 9.3-9.5 on bars so she really just needs like an 8 on beam (target score is a 33 for state and 35 for regionals). Her form on beam is eh so the higher the start value the better but I dont think she'll get to that 10.0. We have 3 meets before state all over the next month basically so not a ton of time.

Skills:
  • Switch leap Split Jump
  • Full turn
  • BHS
  • Cartwheel
  • Round off
  • Working on Cartwheel RO for the series but doesnt have it yet but closer to that than bhs bhs which she can do but is very scared of.
  • Should could likely have a roundoff tuck dismount very soon if that would help in start value
  • She does a press handstand as part of her mount but its not a true press mount. she swings her leg over the beam then presses up and comes down to one knee. (does this count as a skill if so what letter skill?)

With these skills what would suggest as a beam routine with what possible start value? Any other easy skills to learn that could add to her start value? Meeting to discuss with coaches as well but looking for others input (I have mixed feelings about the direction she gets on beam sometimes)

She needs a series... 2 skills with 1 flight...
  • BWO-BHS
  • BHS-BHS
  • CW-RO
  • FWO-BHS
  • BHS-BL
  • FWO-FHS
  • FHS-CW
The dismount can't count as part of the series.

So it doesnt need to be a 2 flight series? She did HS BHS in level 7 but that had its own issues...I think they may try and get CW-RO just to get her through this year then get the BHS BHS over the summer. She will def be a 2 year level 8 :)

She could do backwalk back handspring and I do believe if she does a round off back tuck dismount you get .1 in bonus if I am remembering correctly it might be more I’m not sure. Another series I find a lot of athletes in my group like is front walkover round off because they say it’s easier to connect and less scary then a cartwheel round off.

She doesnt have the greatest flexibility she can barely do the FWO on floor so FWO and Ticktocks are out. Also BWO on beam are not great and hurt her back so I tell her to do minimal reps of those for long term health. We talked with the coaches and are going with CW RO for the series and just a Front Tuck dismount. She already did it on the middle beam so should be good enough very soon. She really needs like a 7 to make it to state and regionals so they are going to support her in doing the easiest routine possible just so she can have the experience. She will work on BHS BHS still twice a week to try and get it by state but they definately took the pressure off so I am happy. I just wasnt sure with the more basic skills what her start value would be but the coaches think she can have a 9.5 SV easy which should make it easy to get the low score she needs.

We talked with the coaches and are going with CW RO for the series and just a Front Tuck dismount.
Sounds like everyone is in the same page… that’s great to hear!

Well it looks like she will be trying her watered down beam routine this weekend :oops: We have three meets left but only two before the deadline to enter states and they dont want to put all the eggs in one basket so they are going to have her try beam this weekend and see what kind of score she gets. Say a few prayers for us we just need like a 6 to make it to states and i think a 7 to make it to regionals.

I will admit I am a bit annoyed with how they scheduled our meets this year. We only have 4, one in house two travel and one local, and the final travel meet wont be in time to count towards making it to state. Really doesnt give the kids much room for error :confused:

Not sure what state you are in, but can travel meets count toward qualifying? I would just register her for States at this point and then scratch if necessary (but fingers crossed that you won't need to!) I feel your stress, although my daughter has qualified for states, she has had back to back injuries which led to fears and is competing minimal lv 8 skills on beam. She has had 10 start value though, so I'm sure your daughter will do fine!

Travel meets do count towards state qualifying scores the problem is there is a deadline to register and you have to hit the score to register. Luckily she hit the score with a 7.35 on beam lol. It was a lower scoring meet but she did it! Now she can relax and improve from here . She did manage the 10SV though which I think is impressive! She probably had some UTL deductions but I'm just glad she seems more confident in gym in general.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back