WAG level 8 beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am wondering if there is a different start value for level 8 beam for backwalkover/back handspring vs backhandspring/backhandspring?
Thanks!

level 8 beam question

Is there a different start value if your child does backwalkover/backhandspring vs. backhandspring backhandspring?

Thanks

Thanks for the info. My daughter is struggling with the double back handspring, which is made worse by the fact her coach yells at her when she's on the beam (which leads to my daughter avoiding trying, which leads to the coach yelling, etc etc). It's a big mess and I'm wondering if it's just time to really push for her to do the backwalkover/backhandspring instead.
Her coach said she'd have to do level 8 again if she doesn't do the double back handspring but if she doesn't get at least the back walkover/back handspring, she won't be competing level 8 at all...
Any suggestions?
PS The beam coach is also the owner of the gym and not receptive to parent comments (unless your child is on the elite track, which my daughter is not)

Any suggestions?
PS The beam coach is also the owner of the gym and not receptive to parent comments (unless your child is on the elite track, which my daughter is not)

How old is your dd? Is she old/mature enough to be able to talk to coach 1-1? I usually let dd 'vent' to me is something is bothering her, then send her in to talk to her coach. It's good for her, as in it promotes a healthy coach/athlete relationship. If your dd is old enough (and especially since you said coach isn't receptive to parents input), maybe the coach would 'listen' and discuss better with your dd.

My dd is 13. Her coach is angry with her for not being able to do her series on the beam; in fact, she kicked my daughter off her private schedule because she couldn't do it (which makes no sense to me at all). According to the secretary--who relayed the message to me--my daughter doesn't "deserve" privates with the owner/beam coach because she isn't "trying" (even though she is). I obviously didn't tell my daughter this; I just said the coach wants to focus on the compulsory girls b/c it's their season right now.
There really is no talking to this coach.
My daughter says she'll try the double back for one more month and then switch to back walkover/back handspring...

My dd is 13. Her coach is angry with her for not being able to do her series on the beam; in fact, she kicked my daughter off her private schedule because she couldn't do it (which makes no sense to me at all). According to the secretary--who relayed the message to me--my daughter doesn't "deserve" privates with the owner/beam coach because she isn't "trying" (even though she is). I obviously didn't tell my daughter this; I just said the coach wants to focus on the compulsory girls b/c it's their season right now.
There really is no talking to this coach.
My daughter says she'll try the double back for one more month and then switch to back walkover/back handspring...

Very sad situation :(. Afraid I don't have any better advice. I wish I did though

It is a sad situation, but she loves the gym and the girls so she'll stick it out. I guess it's just a life lesson that not everything in life is smooth...

Your coach sounds unreasonable. Tell your daughter to go do the bhs bhs series on a line, then the floor beam, low beam, high beam with mats, etc. Then start removing the mats. Go back to progressions. That will help her if the coach will not.
Also, I think it's silly when coaches have ultimatums like that. A back walkover bhs series is a level 8 series. A bhs bhs is a level 9 series. Yes, you can do it in level 8 but it's not the requirement. She's training level 8. When she's training level 9, everyone can get into a tizzy about the bhs bhs combo.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back