Level 8 Floor

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

GymDad57

Can someone explain the Level 8 floor tumbling passes. I read the requirements and get confused about the saltos. Do you need forward saltos. My daughter does all back saltos and I see many Level 8 include forward saltos. My dd passes are:

RO - BHS - Back Layout (Full 1/1)
RO - BHS - Whip - BHS - Back Salto Tucked
RO - BHS - Back Salto Layout

Do these meet the requirements and are they up to competitve level 8.

Thanks!

Those passes might meet the requirements, but she can't start and end with a layout (if she does, she is also missing a B acro element, which is a composition deduction on top of missing the special requirement for an A last pass). Repeating a RO BHS layout means that the 2nd pass gets 0 credit, so she wouldn't end with an A. If she does the full first pass, she would fulfill the requirements. Lack of forward elements is a composition deduction (not a big deal), and I might take .1 in acro not being up to the competitive level. However, that would depend on the state. In my state, we see a lot of girls with 3 B passes (including C acro that is downgraded to a B). Overall, though, as long as she does the full first pass, she's okay.

Those skills are fine for Level 8. They do not have to have any front tumbling in their routine, but most people have it because they need 3 different salto's in the routine and that can be hard to do without front tumbling as well. But the whip counts as a salto.

Also most people have front tumbling because it is the easiest way to do a series with 2 salto's in it, which is also required. EG front tuck step out, round off, back tuck. But again her whip covers that requiredment as it counts as a salto.

I don't get it?

If they don't have to do a double salto pass in Lev 8, which I thought was why my daughter was training a front hs front lo front tuck, would she meet the requirements if she does a ro bhs full, front hs front layout, and a ro bhs layout?? Someone please answer that knows the requirements...any judges??

A front hs front layout is not two saltos.

Front hs, front lo, front tuck has two saltos.

HTH:)

My dd competed all last season level 8 without doing any twisting (major mental block that she just got over - lasted about a yr!). As long as you have 3 different salto passes with one being a pass with 2 saltos you are fine. As previous poster said, you can't repeat a pass.

The only thing that your dd might want to consider is not putting the layout pass last, since that is the easiest pass, they could take a deduction if they wanted to - may or may not. Sometimes every tenth matters at meets.

My dd competed (in this order)

FHS-FLO-FT
RO-Whip-BHS-BLO & sometimes RO-Whip-BT
FHS-FP

I think the fact that she had 2 double salto passes is what saved her for not having a twist - dunno! ;)

My daughter is now doing ro bhs full, a front through to a ro bhs layout and a fhs front layout...does that now meet requirement?

If by front you mean front tuck/layout/pike to RO BHS LO than yes that fulfills the double salto pass and she has 3 different salto passes. Sounds good to me... ;)

My daughter is now doing ro bhs full, a front through to a ro bhs layout and a fhs front layout...does that now meet requirement?

Yes, the new routine looks good, however the old routine did have the 2 salto pass: roundoff- whip- back tuck. Two saltos....either way.

The original poster's routine would incur composition deductions for lack of a forward tumbling pass.

My other concern is where are her other B skills coming from? Level 8 requires 4 B skills. A judge will evaluate where her "B" skills are coming from and whether they are balanced between dance skills and tumbling skills.

This routine would send up red flags in the composition category.

My daughter had her first meet and in her routine she had front handspring front full. Now she is told she cant do this because it is a c. Is that true?

Yup front full is a C acro skill and not allowed in 8 anymore. She could do it, but it will incur a .5 deduction and reduce her SV to 9.5 - it will not void out her entire routine though.

My daughter had her first meet and in her routine she had front handspring front full. Now she is told she cant do this because it is a c. Is that true?

Can someone explain the Level 8 floor tumbling passes. I read the requirements and get confused about the saltos. Do you need forward saltos. My daughter does all back saltos and I see many Level 8 include forward saltos. My dd passes are:

RO - BHS - Back Layout (Full 1/1)
RO - BHS - Whip - BHS - Back Salto Tucked
RO - BHS - Back Salto Layout

Do these meet the requirements and are they up to competitve level 8.

Thanks!

oh no. is it you again? you gotsta stop micromanaging your daughter's gymnastics. it's not your place to read the requirements and get confused about the saltos cause you can't do anything with the info anyway. AND if you understood it as coaches will, you would be confused anyway.

are you in the virgin islands or someplace like that?:)

Gymdad57 -

I think you have a stalker - I wonder if dunno has tracked all of your posts and plans to respond with snide comments....

Gotta love a thorough coach!

Thanks once again coach.... :rolleyes:

oh no. is it you again? you gotsta stop micromanaging your daughter's gymnastics. it's not your place to read the requirements and get confused about the saltos cause you can't do anything with the info anyway. AND if you understood it as coaches will, you would be confused anyway.

are you in the virgin islands or someplace like that?:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back