Parents Level 8 skills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

You need 3 tumbling passes if the first 2 aren't up to level, so that you don't receive the composition deduction. A 2 pass routine with no composition deduction needs B+B (FLO+FP)in the first pass and C+A or C (3/2 + FT)in 2nd pass. If you did a 3 pass routine you need only need 3 Bs or 2Bs and A+A.
No C’s are required at level 8 to fulfill composition. B+A directly connected in each pass is enough for a 2 pass routine.

Just wanted to add that all the special requirements and composition requirements I am listing are from a judges perspective. Your gymnast’s coach and/or gym May have their own requirements for competition readiness at each level.

For level 8 just has to be a B dismount(like layout full) or an A salto dismount coming from a B element(like a giant). It’s pretty rare to take at level 8, gymnast would have to be doing something like tuck flyaway from horizontal cast.

Interesting. The l8 team at our prior gym last year was told by the coaches they were getting deducted if they didn’t have the double back or layout full, even though they all were coming out of a giant.

So those who did giant layout flyaway would not have taken the deduction?

Interesting. The l8 team at our prior gym last year was told by the coaches they were getting deducted if they didn’t have the double back or layout full, even though they all were coming out of a giant.

Correct, any salto out of a giant is no deduction at level 8.

So what is the deduction for a 2 pass routine that doesn’t meet those requirements.

So example— FP-FLO and R-Bhs-back full.

And FP is a B? Man I have a lot to learn.

One more question. Are split jump & split leaps on beam A skills or B skills?

Thanks to all that have posted, I have found this very useful. I have been trying to understand what they are planning for my DD (likely competing 7, but has all of those skills so is now working on upgrades for 8).

There really isn't much difference between an upgraded level 7 routine and a basic level 8 routine. I'm pretty sure that the routine my dd competed in level 7 would have filled the minimum requirements for level 8 except maybe she was missing one b element. But the requirements for level 8 beam are:
  • Acro series with a minimum of two elements
  • One acro flight element (this can also be performed within the series)
  • One leap or jump that meets the 180° split requirement
  • Minimum of 360°turn
  • Minimum of an ‘A’ salto dismount
There is only one acro flight element required and it can be in the series or not (but usually is). They also need 4 B and 4 A skills compared to level 7 which only needed 2 B and 5 A which is why you sometimes see the extra skills like a back tuck thrown in.
The difference is in the deductions as well. Level 8 is the first level where you can get a not up to level deduction.

No, even at regionals, the majority of girls did the layout flyaway. This was a couple of years ago.

A split leap is a B, a split jump is also a B.

A stag leap is an A, so if your gymnast bends her front leg and flicks into the leap it is an A but if she keeps the leg straight it is a B.

Man I used to be the mom that knew what was going on at meets (why scores may be lower, skills, cast angles etc) but I think those days are done the higher you get the more complex and more combinations you can use to reach the requirements, This is very interesting and helpful though.

The last time I had an 8 compete a double back dismount on bars, the judges told me to take it back down to a layout. They said that the layout always scores better in level 8.

The last time I had an 8 compete a double back dismount on bars, the judges told me to take it back down to a layout. They said that the layout always scores better in level 8.

That is so interesting! Our gym insists on double back for Level 8 so I assumed it was required or at the least, very common. They had the girls do layouts for 6 and 7.

So what is the deduction for a 2 pass routine that doesn’t meet those requirements.

So example— FP-FLO and R-Bhs-back full.

And FP is a B? Man I have a lot to learn.

One more question. Are split jump & split leaps on beam A skills or B skills?

Thanks to all that have posted, I have found this very useful. I have been trying to understand what they are planning for my DD (likely competing 7, but has all of those skills so is now working on upgrades for 8).
As Aussiecoach said both are B’s. (But sissome is an A which is a not uncommon mistake made when composing a level 8 routine with enough B’s)

This floor routine is not specifically listed in the up to level floor acro chart, but is falls someone in the middle, so expect 0.05-0.15. I would take 0.1.

Last edited:
Dont like when judges say “always” unless it is in reference to something spelled out in the code.. We see plenty of low, poor shape layouts that score worse than the average double back. But I would say the kind of kid that has the dynamics and tap to do a double back is very likely to have a really nice layout that might in fact score better.

Our girls that are looking to go level 8 are working on double backs dismounts for bars into the pit but I wasnt sure if it was needed for the level or not. Our gym gives optionals options which I like (I know some gyms have stricter requirements than the typical level requirements). My daughters floor and vault are looking strong but beam takes her awhile to get confident with new skills especially acro skills.

Beam: Shes almost got her HS BHS series on the high beam (BWO is not her strength and I am glad they dont push it I think it would not be good for her back she doesnt have a naturally flexible back or shoulders) She has also started working her BT on the high beam but its inconsistent.
Bars: she thinks shes behind but I think she is finally just not ahead of everyone else. Giants are coming along she thinks shell have them in October her Free hip is good but not to HS. Her LO Fly away is pretty, she has done a few double backs into the pit but not close to getting that.
Vault: Shes flipping vaults into the pit (maybe sometimes onto an 8 incher but not sure)
Floor shes got FT FT and FHS Front Pike and a RO BHS LO. Working on some twisting inot the pit but nothing too solid with that yet.

You all are awesome. I am not at all in tune with level 8. I'll take any teaching you have to offer!

Can someone give me an idea of what tumbling passes for an up to level floor routine would be WITHOUT a front layout? My kid can't do the FLO. At all. It is the strangest thing how she just can't figure out the dynamics of it. She can do a back layout full and back layout half, connected front pike-front pike or sub either with a tuck. Any way to combine these skills and remain up to level? Leaps and dance are all fine.

I think she is up to level for beam, right?
Will either do a BWO-BHS or BHS-BHS, a back tuck, and a cartwheel to layout or layout-full dismount.
Hates the round-off, but I guess doesn't need one? If she falls back on the BWO-BHS with a separate back tuck and the CW-layout dismount is that up to level?

Bars, her gym requires a double back dismount which she is currently landing on a mat in the pit. She hasn't tried it on the floor. She has competed a layout flyaway out of a giant in level 7, but they won't let her do that for 8. She has a half pirouette and a freehip to handstand (on low bar - does that matter?)

Thanks smart people!!

You all are awesome. I am not at all in tune with level 8. I'll take any teaching you have to offer!

Can someone give me an idea of what tumbling passes for an up to level floor routine would be WITHOUT a front layout? My kid can't do the FLO. At all. It is the strangest thing how she just can't figure out the dynamics of it. She can do a back layout full and back layout half, connected front pike-front pike or sub either with a tuck. Any way to combine these skills and remain up to level? Leaps and dance are all fine.

I think she is up to level for beam, right?
Will either do a BWO-BHS or BHS-BHS, a back tuck, and a cartwheel to layout or layout-full dismount.
Hates the round-off, but I guess doesn't need one? If she falls back on the BWO-BHS with a separate back tuck and the CW-layout dismount is that up to level?

Bars, her gym requires a double back dismount which she is currently landing on a mat in the pit. She hasn't tried it on the floor. She has competed a layout flyaway out of a giant in level 7, but they won't let her do that for 8. She has a half pirouette and a freehip to handstand (on low bar - does that matter?)

Thanks smart people!!
FX - a front pike is worth the same as a f layout(both B’s). A 3 pass level 8 routine just needs a B in every pass to be up to level so back full/back half/front pike-front tuck fulfills it.

BB - routine with BWO-BHS series and a back tuck is 0.1 comp deduction. Doesn’t matter what else is in the routine, that series means at least 0.1 off though without the back tuck would be 0.15. Cartwheel to layout would get a 0.05 dismount up to level deduction, doing full instead would be no deduction.

UB - doesn’t matter which bar for clear hip.

My daughter is doing L8 this year. I think her routines are up to level, except maybe floor...?

FX: 2 tumbling passes - FLO+FT and RO+BHS+Full, plus an aerial (which I don’t think counts for anything?) and a double turn incorporated in the dance, plus required leap/jump.

UB: kip+cast-HS, pirouette, kip+squat on, kip+cast-HS, clear hip-HS, giantx2, layout dismount.

BB: BHS+BHS series, switch leap + split jump, tick-tock (to fulfill forward skill requirement?), full turn, cartwheel-full dismount (probably tuck full to start the season)

For vault, she is doing a yurchenko, which is getting better but not yet consistent. She has good days where they look really nice and off days where she’s not getting enough block/height to land it on a mat. She’s hoping to get more consistent before the season starts, but if she has an “off day” at a meet, does anyone know if she can compete a timer and what the start value would be? Thanks!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back