Parents Level 8 to 9 upgrades....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Granny Smith

Proud Parent
Ok, I'm bored! Now that comp season is over I feel like I have nothing to contribute on the boards. My dd is now working upgrades, so I thought that I'd start a thread.

Since there are many levels and tons of upgrades, I thought that I'd kind of focus on dd's level:

What my dd is working on, hoping to make it to 9:

Vault - realistically a solid pike Yurchenko - stretch goal layout Yurchenko!

Bars - she got her front giant :thumbsup:. She is working her pak salto and blind full changes. Dismount, don't know what she will be doing, but I do know she has to get off the bar somehow, so I guess this will come in due time! ;)

Beam - Side aerial she has, but she is working on getting it more consistently. She did BHS-BHS for 8, so she is working either BHS-BT or BHS-BLO. She's trying the full turn with 1 leg up. Also, switch leap-BT.

Floor - dd is mental with twisting, but she is coming along. Her L8 routine didn't have any twisting and since States, she is now doing a half-punch front and also just started doing a full. :D She has upgraded her one pass to FHS-FLO-FP. Also, working full turn with 1 leg up. Not sure what she is doing for jumps, but I'm sure she's got something up her sleeve.

What's everyone else's dds doing - let's talk. Have your dd's coaches told you/dd that she is doing 9 next season or is it up in the air and they have to fight for it over the summer? Dd's coaches will never tell her until the last minute, but I know dd is determined to get to 9, so she is fighting for every skill!

Also, I still have no idea if dd will be getting a new floor routine or if she will stick with current music/choreography. The girls usually keep their routines for 2 yrs, but sometimes a few will keep for 3 and HC hinted that keeping for 3 might happen, so I have no idea (as usual.) I need to fertilize the money tree, so it will be nice to know if this one would be happening or not. :rolleyes: For sure will be getting new leos though and most likely new warm-ups.

Wow that's a lot of progress. We are still doing L6 routines. States are this weekend. L6 is the last to finish the competitive season in our gym and dd is very jealous of the girls who are done competing and are starting to work on their new skills. That is her favorite part.

Grannysmith ~ I know what you mean about being bored. I don't stick around much to watch right now. With school and gym winding down for the year I'm ready for a change, too. Her summer will be jam-packed and I know she's looking forward to it. We're getting new leos and warm-ups this year, too. I'm not looking forward to that bill. Where do you buy your fertilizer? ;)

gymmom ~ I noticed that, too. Our level 6's have states this weekend, too. It does seem late. Are you in PA?

My dd is level 5, moving up to level 6. At least that's what I'm assuming! We never get much communication from the coaches. She did tell me they've been working on their tumbling for level 6 so I guess that's a start! :rolleyes:

My DD would look at that list and say "I'm NEVER doing those" LOL. GL to your DD, I'm sure she will be a 9 and have a great season!

My big DD will stay in Level 8 for sure. She has been working her giant giant flyaway (finally, after a meltdown last month) and her pirouette. They do train yurchenkos but she is still trying to do good tsuks!

Little Monkey has Level 5 States this Sat. She has been learning her L6 routines. Now that she has finally mastered jumping to the high bar, she has all of her L6 bar and floor skills already. She's working on her bwo on beam.

GL at States. L6 is such a hard level, if she can survive 6, she will do fine at 7. She's almost done and then onto upgrades....

Wow that's a lot of progress. We are still doing L6 routines. States are this weekend. L6 is the last to finish the competitive season in our gym and dd is very jealous of the girls who are done competing and are starting to work on their new skills. That is her favorite part.

Our leos and warm ups are so expensive... We didn't buy new warm ups last yr so I know we definitely need them this yr. As for leos, the way that HC likes them to fit, there is no way they could wear them for 2 yrs. The first day they put them on, they fit like 2nd skin - BUT HC does a great job and the girls look fantastic!!!!

level 6 sounds great, dd must be excited - is she working the FT or BHS-BT? I always thought that side leap looked kind of hard.

So, will your dd's level 6 season be in the Spring??? In NJ, it's in the fall.

Grannysmith ~ I know what you mean about being bored. I don't stick around much to watch right now. With school and gym winding down for the year I'm ready for a change, too. Her summer will be jam-packed and I know she's looking forward to it. We're getting new leos and warm-ups this year, too. I'm not looking forward to that bill. Where do you buy your fertilizer? ;)

gymmom ~ I noticed that, too. Our level 6's have states this weekend, too. It does seem late. Are you in PA?

My dd is level 5, moving up to level 6. At least that's what I'm assuming! We never get much communication from the coaches. She did tell me they've been working on their tumbling for level 6 so I guess that's a start! :rolleyes:

Oh yeah on the giant, giant flyaway - that's huge for bars, pirouette too. We had a couple of girls that just never could get that pirouette and they ended up changing them to do hecht to high bar instead. Thank God, dd can do the pirouette because she can't reach the bar when she does the hecht to high bar. That's another thing she is working on. The other day she skimmed her fingers across the high bar, so she at least she has proven to herself that it is possible. If she could just grow a few inches it might make it a little easier.

My dd never did a Tsuk, she's only done the Yurchenko. The good thing is that with the Tsuk you really don't have the same "wrist injury problems" that the Yurchenko's have, so that really is a good thing. I think you see a lot more Tsuks than Yurchenkos anyway at 8. Most of the Yurchenkos I saw at 8 were done by our own team.

GL to LM this weekend. Most of our littles are competing on Saturday. They were in the gym last night and the "big" coaches were working with them and they did not get out on time. The parents weren't too thrilled, I guess they were a little blindsided. I said to a couple, it's the week before States, don't plan on getting out at regular time. This is really a wake up call for the girls. They get to see what team is really about now. The parents will learn to deal with it in time, I am sure they will complain, but only to each other! I am officially welcoming them to team this week.... ;)

My DD would look at that list and say "I'm NEVER doing those" LOL. GL to your DD, I'm sure she will be a 9 and have a great season!

My big DD will stay in Level 8 for sure. She has been working her giant giant flyaway (finally, after a meltdown last month) and her pirouette. They do train yurchenkos but she is still trying to do good tsuks!

Little Monkey has Level 5 States this Sat. She has been learning her L6 routines. Now that she has finally mastered jumping to the high bar, she has all of her L6 bar and floor skills already. She's working on her bwo on beam.

Our leos and warm ups are so expensive... We didn't buy new warm ups last yr so I know we definitely need them this yr. As for leos, the way that HC likes them to fit, there is no way they could wear them for 2 yrs. The first day they put them on, they fit like 2nd skin - BUT HC does a great job and the girls look fantastic!!!!

That's how our gyms prefer them to fit too but last year I told the HC and Owners that I can't afford $150 every year for a new leo and another $85 for the practice Leo. Since I'm paying for it I wanted the bigger size. Well they argued but I stood my ground saying I know when she has her growth spurts and it won't fit her when the cmopetition season comes (we order them in July). I told them if they order the smaller size I would not pay for it. they agreed to let me purchase the bigger size. Well its a good thing I did that because from Sep - Dec my DD's chest came into full bloom and if I had purchased the smaller one it would never have fit her in the Jan - April session.

We also do a team exchange in June. On one of the Saturday practices when its just the teams in we bring all of our bits and pieces from Leos, practice leos, warm ups etc and we exchange them. If you give a piece you get a piece. If there is no piece to exchange then we sell them at 1/2 price to each other. It SAVES SOOOO much money. We also bring our regular leos that the girls have out grown that day too and do a leo exchange or purchases with the understanding that all used regular leos (not the team ones) will be $10. Again its a great way to get rid of those outgrown leos.

We are not even there when they do the sizing for the comp leos, so we have no idea what size they are getting ordered. We don't have a practice leo, thankfully, but every yr the comp leo is a different style so you essentially have to purchase a new one.

We also do something similiar to your exchange, but it is our only fundraiser of the yr (no booster club or Parent's Org here). In late September every yr the team girls do a gently used leo sale. We set up shop in the observation room and sell to anyone, especially rec parents and us team moms too. It's cute to see some of dd's old leos on a younger team girl. They usually sell for about $10, so it's a really good price. I think last yr I made about $100 that got credited to my meet fees. (Every little bit helps...;))

That's how our gyms prefer them to fit too but last year I told the HC and Owners that I can't afford $150 every year for a new leo and another $85 for the practice Leo. Since I'm paying for it I wanted the bigger size. Well they argued but I stood my ground saying I know when she has her growth spurts and it won't fit her when the cmopetition season comes (we order them in July). I told them if they order the smaller size I would not pay for it. they agreed to let me purchase the bigger size. Well its a good thing I did that because from Sep - Dec my DD's chest came into full bloom and if I had purchased the smaller one it would never have fit her in the Jan - April session.

We also do a team exchange in June. On one of the Saturday practices when its just the teams in we bring all of our bits and pieces from Leos, practice leos, warm ups etc and we exchange them. If you give a piece you get a piece. If there is no piece to exchange then we sell them at 1/2 price to each other. It SAVES SOOOO much money. We also bring our regular leos that the girls have out grown that day too and do a leo exchange or purchases with the understanding that all used regular leos (not the team ones) will be $10. Again its a great way to get rid of those outgrown leos.

level 6 sounds great, dd must be excited - is she working the FT or BHS-BT? I always thought that side leap looked kind of hard.

So, will your dd's level 6 season be in the Spring??? In NJ, it's in the fall.

This was the 2nd year for our leos. We had a leo exchange last fall and luckily dd was able to get one of her teammates leos. Some weren't so lucky and had to order new ones. I'll be glad to get rid of these. I should bring up the leo sale thing. WE have a yard sale every year and that's where people usually sell off their old leos.

They're working on the FHS-step out and improving their power on the ROBHS so they can make their BT. I hope it's not a problem for her.

Her level 6 season will start in the fall. They'll officially be level 6 team at the start of the summer session. Still don't have our schedule for that yet. I'm kind of getting frustrated by that but I guess they're having some coaching issues.

Oh, and what is a Tsuk?? :confused: Just wondering!

Other than the issues with coaches, I've posted about gymmie is working on some new stuff and some skills that she got started on last summer and now are taking them to the next level.

Vault: Doing yurchenko timers and flipping into the pit. She hates the tsuk and her coach feels she is better at the yurchenko. Don't know which one that they're thinking of her doing "for real" though. She did start work on a fhs-ft with the HC, but he doesn't work with her group much so that has been pushed aside for now.
Bars: Hitting a toe shoot(with kip) about 70% of the time, working blind drills, did straddle back with spot with sub coach, her coach mentioned something about adding to her bail, but I didn't understand it. Working on front giants, but is very tight in the shoulders, so those are tough for her. Doing double back timers into the pit-----that may be her new way off the bar!
Beam: Has taken BT and side aerial to high beam(with large mats underneath), needs time to work on the bhs-bhs, straddle jump on high beam. One coach is supposed to teach her a side sumi.
Floor: consistent on 1.5 twists, working on getting doubles so she doesn't land on her face, double back timers and double layout timers. She will get new music for next season---very excited.

GS--Our leos must fit like yours. The brand new leo gymmie wore this year, won't make it next year, so will try and sell it to someone.

GLM - Awesome things going on for your dd. My dd has very flexible shoulders, so that could be why she picked up the front giant so quickly.

I have to say that although the comp leos fit like 2nd skin, the girls look fantastic and usually stand out at meets. Doesn't hurt that their bodies are so conditioned. ;)

I assume your dd is either going 9 or already is?

The Tsuk vault is when they run down the runway and RO onto the table (hands onto table) and then flip off of it.

The Yurchenko is when the RO is onto the springboard then BHS onto the table and then flip.

Does this make any sense, sure hope so! ;)

Oh, and what is a Tsuk?? :confused: Just wondering!

GLM - Awesome things going on for your dd. My dd has very flexible shoulders, so that could be why she picked up the front giant so quickly.

I have to say that although the comp leos fit like 2nd skin, the girls look fantastic and usually stand out at meets. Doesn't hurt that their bodies are so conditioned. ;)

I assume your dd is either going 9 or already is?

This past season was her 1st year as a L8--she really wants to move to L9 especially with all the new changes coming down. She has been doing the yurchenko timers since she finished L6 at previous gym and last summer. In fact, last summer she was up to doing some tucks into the pit, but then they decided to switch most of them to tsuks. She really loves doing the yurchekno.

She is a tumbler and just loves to push that. Said she's working on her front full on tumble trak---front tumbling isn't her strength, but she has gotten better at our current gym because they spend more time teaching proper technique.

2nd skin?? After 1 meet I thought it would be her permanent skin!! Had gotten a little sweaty and it took forever to peel the darn thing off. You're right, they do look awesome and these girls are so buffed---it really shows it off.

It's been pretty fun for my dd to:). She's been trying new things. She hopes to be L9 next year too.

Floor: double back tuck, front full & a half with a punch? A ring,think that's a leap of sorts. She's definitely getting a new routine. She's choosing her music. She's narrowed it down to 3 choices. it's never ending. I think i'll have to put a deadline on it. So we can be all set when the choreographer comes.

Beam; side aerial, front tuck but on one foot, she told me the name, i forgot, bhs,blo. This will get a new routine too with the choreographer so it'll have more to it too I'm sure.

Bars; blinds, they are driving her crazy but she said she did some good ones the other day. glide kip to pirrouette bail. She mentions front giants every once in awhile don't know if she's working them or watching others do them.

Vault yurchenko layout, tsuk

Parents aren't encouraged to watch so it's always a surprise skillwise at the first meet. We had new leos for this season and pretty sure we'll keep them for next. we might be getting new warm ups not sure.

Sounds like a few of our girls are in the same position. I think, at least I know for my dd, that the upcoming rule changes has really made her push to get to 9. She feels by staying 8, that is going backwards for her.

She actually showed her bars coach her front giant (and she did a beautiful one) the other day. When she started doing it on her own, the bars coach was at 9 Nationals. Now bars coach is at 10 Nationals, so maybe she will get a chance to show HC the front giant since she didn't go to Nationals.

I know that HC would prefer that we don't stay and watch. I usually drop off and come back with about 1 hr left to watch. My dd is 12, if I didn't watch, I wouldn't see my kid during the week basically - besides I like seeing what's going on these days.

Momofagymmie - FT on beam is huge. She'd only be allowed 1 D on beam, which would she probably do, the side aerial or the FT?

GLM - My dd also has the front full on tumble trak, but isn't ready to take it to air mat on floor yet. I know it will come in time.

Hi G Smith,
We aren't allowed to watch otherwise I'd watch. I used to do it quite a bit at her old gym where watching was allowed. because same as you i'd never see her until i tucked her into bed!

I'm not sure which skill she'd do on beam. I think the Ft is in the works on low beam and the aerial is on the high beam. So i'd have to bet on the aerial but not really sure. I think they are pushing her to see what skills stick. I'm not sure. She was all smiles one day because the coach said something like "well try it you want to be a L10 right?" I wasn't happy because up until November last year she was a L9. Then they pulled the rug out and said she'd do L8 again. She had to change all her routines, bar, beam & floor!:mad: So she'd be in compliance with L8 skills allowed. I can't believe the coachers are starting to talk like this again. DD and i have talked and feel great about being L9 and are not discussing anything else.
:eek:

Thought I'd bump this up because my dd seems to be on a roll. Last night she got in the car and said, "I have to tell you about today." I was prepared for more preteen girl drama, but instead she rattled on about doing her bhs-back layout-step-out on high beam, her layout 1 and a half to punch front pike on floor, her layout 1 and a half beam dismount, and starting double backs on floor with a spot. WOW!
And last week she was working yurchenko tuck fulls and accidentally did layout full - and the coach liked it. She also has learned her double tuck bars dismount recently:eek:

She's working bunches of other stuff as well: Switch leap-back tuck connection for beam (and some other beam things that I have lost track of...leaps and jumps mostly, some tumbling like side aerials and front tucks??) Bails, blinds, blind fulls, front giants for bars...and who knows what she forgets to tell me.

It's going to be a crazy summer.

The big problem right now is working(or trying to) with the L6-8 beam coach. She has them do mandatory bwo(3), bhs(3), switch leap(3) and then bwo-bhs(3) done with no wobbles/bobbles---gotta hit 3 in a row or start over. Ok, for my kid, the bwo has been her nightmare. This coach even told me that due to her being tight in the shoulders and hips it was a struggle for her to do it consistently on beam. So, why is she practicing it----time to move on. It takes her the entire time they have on beam to get the 3 of everything with no wobbles(bwo-bhs being the most time consuming). Have to do all this warm up stuff and THEN you can start working on new stuff. So, for the last 10 days gymmie has been stuck getting through the required warm up---she's really down on herself because she was really on a roll working some new stuff. This is why I want her with the other beam coach who works with what the girls can physcially do well and makes up interesting routines.

Bright spot though, gymmie came home last night and said she hit a hs on her bail several times and the coach said this is what she wants to see all summer. I saw her doing a couple of blind drills and that skill looks tough.

GJ--Sounds like your dd is having a blast!! It is funny how they forget to mention some skill and on the random time we watch them, see something totally new!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back