Level 8 vault question (yurchenkos)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

momofagymmie

I was told that there was a change to the level 8 vault and that a yurchenko can no longer:confused: be done in level 8 is this true.

I'm not sure. A few years ago, when I was finishing up USAG, only level 9s and 10's could do a yurchanko. I'll see what I can find out for you.

If there has been a change our gym hasn't heard about it. My daughter is training L8 and as of practice today, they were working on yurchenkos. I did read that a proposal to have L7s compete yurchenko timers got shot down by the USAG technical committee.

I thought I read somewhere that a couple of years ago they were not allowed for level 8, but the current level 8 vaults lists several RO entries... who knows though,. I hear different things all of the time LOL:D

GLM, sounds like an exciting transition for your dd, if I remember correctly, your dd is a great vaulter & really enjoys it right? :applause:

There is no change. A gymnast can perform a yurchenko vault at L8 (2008 season). In 2006, the yurchenko was added as an acceptable vault at L8 and it has never changed back. It was strongly considered this year to ADD a yurchenko flat-back-on-mat option at L7 vault, but that proposal was not adopted.

The only change I can think of off the top of my head that affects L8, is that a back-layout-stepout on beam is now a D and cannot be performed by L8s. It was rarely competed anyway, but now it definitely cannot be. It was formerly a C skill and therefore acceptable at L8.

LemonLime...thanks for clarifying that. I stopped competing USAG in 2005, so I figured the rule had changed since then. I remember having teammates who learned/competed yurchankos on the old vault--those were scary to watch.

Tsuk and yurchenko timers would of been great vaults for level 7. Going to level 8 with doing front handsprings for 3 seasons is not beneficial. I am sorry they shot it down.

I was surprised yurchenkos made it down to 8. I don't think it's going to 7 any time soon. And I've seen enough scary yurchenkos to really be okay with that. Tsuk timers would be another story.

An aerial on beam is also a D now, so L8s can't do that.

I was surprised yurchenkos made it down to 8. I don't think it's going to 7 any time soon. And I've seen enough scary yurchenkos to really be okay with that. Tsuk timers would be another story.

I think the proposal was to do a Yurchenko timer to a mat stack as a way to build a better foundation for doing them in Level 8 instead of just having the jump from doing a FHS to being able to flip a Yurchenko.

Last edited:
I think the proposal was to do a Yurchenko timer to a mat stack as a way to build a better foundation for doing them in Level 8 instead of just having the jump from doing a FHS to being able to flip a Yurchenko.

The same technical committee report I referenced in the post above mentioned this. Here's the explanation:

Discussion regarding adding a Round-off entry vault timer onto mats stacked as high as the vault table to be a competitive choice. The committee concurred that this was impractical, especially in a competitive environment. They concluded that Round-off entry vault training should occur over years and doing a handspring allows the coaches to be able to spend the time on Yurchenko drills without losing quality of the handspring. A motion was made with no second. No action was taken.

This is one thing our gym doesn't have to worry about! We used to have this huge level eight team, and a level nine but now they either got injured or are doing HS gym. There is only one level eight and she is too afraid to do them anyway.

Quote:
spacer.gif

"Discussion regarding adding a Round-off entry vault timer onto mats stacked as high as the vault table to be a competitive choice. The committee concurred that this was impractical, especially in a competitive environment. They concluded that Round-off entry vault training should occur over years and doing a handspring allows the coaches to be able to spend the time on Yurchenko drills without losing quality of the handspring. A motion was made with no second. No action was taken."

I often find the thinking of committee members to be a little off. For instance, the vault for level 2's is kick to handstand then flatback, but level 3's do a dive foward roll, then level 4s do handstand flatback--why is it that they have the gymnast going from handstand flatback (learning the concept of heal drive and flat body) to a dive roll with the gymnast's behind leading the way, back to a handstand flatback that requires heal drive and flat body?

Personally, i think the yurchanko timer would be a valuable competitive vault for level 7s. However, gymnasts can still work on them during practice and then just compete the handspring. I agree that it's a little ridiculous to expect the gymnasts to go from a front handspring (level 7) to automatically flipping a vault(level 8).

The progression in our Quebec school system makes a lot more sense at the lower levels but adds a lot of work in the gym.

CR3 - handstand flat back using springboard (just like your level 3/4)
CR3 Av - Handspring to flatback over table at 110ccm/125cm (equiv your level5)
CR3 Spec - Handspring or yama****a or handspring half turn. (equiv your level 6)

In our provincial system we begin with
P2- handspring over table at 110/125 (Like your level 4/5)

Yurchenkos are not allowed until P5 or about your level 9/10.

I am not a coach, but I do like our school progressions more than your level 3,4,5,6 choices. Our development, pre team girls, compete a handstand flatback, just on slightly lower mats.

There are plenty of things to judge with a Yurchenko timer or even a Tusk timer. In the youngest age group of level 8's it seemed whoever could do the vault with flipping it and if their other events were decent, they won. It doesn't make sense to me.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back