Level 9 Bars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

B

B Gymnast

I'm having trouble coming up with my level 9 bar routine. I know I'm going to have a bail in my routine, but I'm not sure what to do into it.? Pirouette, freehip, cast hs.? I've also thought about a giant half, but my coach has no idea how to teach them. Are they really difficult to learn & does anyone have any tips? I also want to incorporate a blind half into my routine possibly.. So does anyone have any suggestions for the composition of my routine? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
I also have another request: I'm working geingers, and my coach doesn't really have any drills/advice for me on them. I've searched for drills on YouTube and looked for threads on technique for geingers but I havent come up with anything. So any tips regarding geingers will also be greatly appreciated. :)

What sort of statement do you want to make with your routine? Do you want to put together a display of difficulty, or lean toward an artistic display of skills in interesting combinations?

You should put your routine together to satisfy the requirements first, and then your own creative and artistic expression as a gymnast. Include the skills you feel you really "own", and consider them as a display of your opinion on how they should really be done.

So you're going to have to decide what level of risk, difficulty, and artistry you want to put into your routine, because you'll get more out of yourself if you create it to your satisfaction.

Sounds like you may have outgrown your program. I've got nuthin' except "find a coach who can help you learn those new & exciting things",

Learning single bar releases by watching Youtube videos is not a good idea. You need to look around for a gym that can coach higher level skills.

Learning single bar releases by watching Youtube videos is not a good idea. You need to look around for a gym that can coach higher level skills.

I think that B Gymnast was looking online for drills that she could suggest or ask her coach about, not necessarily to help her learn the skill at home or without the supervision of a coach.

An athlete training level 9 in a reputable, safe gym will not have to search for drills and videos on you tube to suggest to her coach.

An athlete training level 9 in a reputable, safe gym will not have to search for drills and videos on you tube to suggest to her coach.

Again, I think that researching a skill online is never a bad thing and showing your coach that you have an intrest in learning a new skill is not unsafe or dangerous in any way. In no way did B Gymnast suggest that she "had" to search for drills. Showing outside intrest and researching skills outside of the gym is a prefectly normal and safe thing for a level 9 gymnast to be doing.

(ps i just want to let everyone know that my signature is extremely outdated... I just cannot figure out how to change it ;p )

The OP indicated that her coach does not know how to teach a giant half, blind change or geinger.

Is researching drills for high level skills on the internet dangerous in and of itself? No. Is it dangerous to try to train these drills and skills under the supervision of a coach who "has no idea how to teach them" and "doesn't have any drills or advice" on these skills? YES!!!! I think this is why so many of the responses have tried to steer the OP towards perhaps looking into the possibility of a more experienced coach.

I happen to know which gym the OP attends and the coaches are very reputable and qualified. I know for a fact that they frequently attend clinics and trainings that add to their training. In order to try and direct the responses in the direction that the OP intended, I wanted to point out that the problem is more in the relationship between the gymnast and the coach, not in the coaches qualifications. I think the coach has been less then helpfull in providing the OP with suggestions for drills so she was asking for somethat she herself could bring to her qualified coaches attention.

Okay I think I should straighten a few things out. My gym is reputable and our coaches do have a lot of experience. But I will admit that our bar coach is more of a "one size fits all" coach. She does know how to teach single bar releases, but she is expecting most of us to learn jaegers. She has given me help on my Geinger, but she just doesn't know of anymore drills or corrections to speed up the process yet. She was a high level gymnast herself, so I know that shes capable of teaching these skills, and every coach had a first time teaching a skill, right.? I was just hoping someone on here would just be able to give a few simple tips or maybe a drill that I could suggest to my coach.
And as for giant halves. My coach has just never taught them before. She likes us to either do blind half or blind full. Again, I was just hoping for maybe a few tips or drills that I could suggest to my coach.
I have confidence in my coach that she CAN teach me a Geinger and a giant half even if she hasn't had much experience teaching them in the past. Like I said before, she is a high level coach, but she's more of a "one size fits all" coach.

Okay I hope this straightened things out a bit. :)

She was a high level gymnast herself, so I know that shes capable of teaching these skills

Your coach maybe qualified to teach but I just wanted to point out that the above statement is very far from the truth. Some individuals that performed at a high level can teach the skills they mastered. On the other side some just can't do it. This is not specific to gymnastics but covers all sports and activities.

Could we maybe move the subject of discussion back to the original purpose? I'd love to know if anyone has an helpful tips or drills for bails or geingers.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back