DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JBS

ChalkBucket Founder
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent
Just as the title states... Level 9 now has difficulty bonus!

L9-bonus.jpeg

Level 9/10 scoring is tough to follow! I have always been the go to parent for why routines got the score they did but its going to be hard for me to know why now that the kiddos are level 9!

Level 9/10 scoring is tough to follow! I have always been the go to parent for why routines got the score they did but its going to be hard for me to know why now that the kiddos are level 9!
Level 9 was still doable for me, although a little challenging. But level 10? Forget it. :DGone are the days where I can figure out a score before it’s displayed. I don’t even try anymore.

This is an interesting change though. I think it will help for those on the fence between spending about year at 9 and moving to 10.

As a coach... I think this is an absolutely great move. Many athletes move to Level 10 too early in my opinion. This will give more athletes a reason to stay at Level 9 one more year. Doing a skill like a double back on floor will now be worth while at Level 9. Those D & E skills will now help differentiate athletes at Level 9 as well as Level 10.

An athlete that would potentially be a weak Level 10 can now be in the game as a very strong Level 9. It would be great if Level 9 was a bit higher level as far as skills go... the jump from Level 9 to the top tier Level 10 athletes is huge.

Level 9 was still doable for me, although a little challenging. But level 10? Forget it. :DGone are the days where I can figure out a score before it’s displayed. I don’t even try anymore.

This is an interesting change though. I think it will help for those on the fence between spending about year at 9 and moving to 10.
Oops, I meant "another" year at 9. I agree with @JBS about it being a good thing.

So what sorts of skills would garner the bonus in level 9? I see it’s D/E skills, but in Australia we use FIG COP. What would the common ones be in USAG?

To give a comparison. For our level 9’s
Floor - D or above skill 0.2 bonus, double back is an additional 9.2 so it gets a 0.4 bonus. A+C or more Acro connection 0.2 bonus. And connect long turns A + C or more and B + B is 0.2 bonus (max of 0.6 bonus at level 9)

Beam
0.2 rebounding Acro series with a salto on the beam (if both have flight)
0.2 C or more salto connected to flight Acro that lands on 2 feet
0.2 - C+ C or more or B + D or more dance series or mixed series
0.2 - C salto connected to B dance
0.2 - A + C or more connected turns
0.2 - B + B + C or more series

Bars
0.4 - D or more flight element
0.2 - Double salto dismount
0.2 - non flight element with 360 turn
0.2 - C + C or more connections (not the same skill)

Is there a list somewhere of D/E skills that would be counted for bonus? Vs D skills that count as Cs? Am I reading that right?

My daughter will likely compete 8 next year, but is training some D skills already.

Is there a list somewhere of D/E skills that would be counted for bonus? Vs D skills that count as Cs? Am I reading that right?

The first D/E would be counted for bonus. If a D/E is used in connection… it would count as a C and you would get the connection bonus instead.

Looks like all D/E skills count.

So what sorts of skills would garner the bonus in level 9? I see it’s D/E skills, but in Australia we use FIG COP. What would the common ones be in USAG?

Skills that will most likely show up heavily in Level 9 with this change would be...

Aerial / front aerial on beam - D
Double back on floor - D
Back 2.5 twist on floor - D
Rudy on floor - D
Blind full on bars - D
Release moves on bars (Pak... Maloney... Jaeger... Gienger... Tkachev... etc)
Upgraded bar dismounts (like full twisting double or double layout)

Front tuck on beam is getting upgraded to an E... so I would think many will be starting to push that skill too. That will be the easiest way to get the 10.1 start for many L10's.

Things like that are what I am thinking. Many L9's have 1 or 2 really great skills that they just don't put in because there is really no reason to use them at L9... however... these 1 or 2 skills don't really push them heavily into L10.

My hope is that L9 will basically become a higher level over the next few years. This would help what many are talking about in some of the other threads. The fact that L10 is just a very huge range from a basic first year that is probably more of a L9 on a couple events all the way to a drop back elite.

I just saw this! I think this is great news! Maybe this will help with some of the level 10 issues. My daughter is really good at double tucks and double pikes but not so hot at twisting. They wouldn't put those skills in her floor routines because she needed the connection bonus.

Oh boy...my Level 8 kid already talks alphabet soup and I just nod sagely and pretend I know what she's talking about.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back