Anon Level gaps and coaching

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnast28

Gymnast
So I have been in competitive for almost 6years and have had a great coach who is always super helpful. However these last few years things have gotten a bit rough and just this month they have gotten even worse. To give you some background information I started with a group of 8 girls all around the same age and level and of course you have some quit here and there. But for the last two years my coach has been bringing in little kids who aren’t really close to are level or age.

This year we had a total of 3girls quit that we’re all my age and close to my level. So my coaches solution to this was to add 3more girls all 9 when I am 16 turning 17. At first I thought it wasn’t a big deal because I have delt with age gaps before and there is still one girl left my age but she wants to put these girls level 6 when they can’t even do a kip or cartwheel on beam. I am trying to go level 9 this year but am having no help from my coach. No spotting, no corrections, no nothing. But with the new ones she is all over them helping them spotting them and what not.

I get they need to be coached to but she kind of just expects me to do everything on my own. I also barely get what I need like the other day I wanted to work giant to double back on our pit bar but she looks at me and goes well the little ones need it to work their flyaways. So I asked if maybe we could alternate days with the pit bar they get it one day I get it the other she said sure but then gave them the pit bar everyday and told me I wasn’t as urgent. Or another instance is with conditioning as much as I don’t like conditioning I know it’s very important but we never condition anymore because the littles want to do trampoline well ya because there nine so I have been doing conditioning by myself with no instructions just figuring out. Now don’t get me wrong I love my coach and she is usually amazing but it’s just hard not being acknowledged or helped out during training well the new ones get everything.

A great coach can make it work with a variation of age and levels. Not saying your coach is doing this, but it can work if done well.

In a perfect gymnastics world we could have teams with all gymnasts the same age an level. But in reality a gym is a business, as a business they need to make money to survive.

Filling a team with other 16-17 year olds, often means those gymnasts will be part of the gym for another year or two. Filling a team with 9 year olds, generally means those kids may be in the gym for another 8 or 9 years. The gym is going to have to make decisions that will move them forward financially.

A great coach can make it work with a variation of age and levels. Not saying your coach is doing this, but it can work if done well.

In a perfect gymnastics world we could have teams with all gymnasts the same age an level. But in reality a gym is a business, as a business they need to make money to survive.

Filling a team with other 16-17 year olds, often means those gymnasts will be part of the gym for another year or two. Filling a team with 9 year olds, generally means those kids may be in the gym for another 8 or 9 years. The gym is going to have to make decisions that will move them forward financially.

So I have been in competitive for almost 6years and have had a great coach who is always super helpful. However these last few years things have gotten a bit rough and just this month they have gotten even worse. To give you some background information I started with a group of 8 girls all around the same age and level and of course you have some quit here and there. But for the last two years my coach has been bringing in little kids who aren’t really close to are level or age.

This year we had a total of 3girls quit that we’re all my age and close to my level. So my coaches solution to this was to add 3more girls all 9 when I am 16 turning 17. At first I thought it wasn’t a big deal because I have delt with age gaps before and there is still one girl left my age but she wants to put these girls level 6 when they can’t even do a kip or cartwheel on beam. I am trying to go level 9 this year but am having no help from my coach. No spotting, no corrections, no nothing. But with the new ones she is all over them helping them spotting them and what not.

I get they need to be coached to but she kind of just expects me to do everything on my own. I also barely get what I need like the other day I wanted to work giant to double back on our pit bar but she looks at me and goes well the little ones need it to work their flyaways. So I asked if maybe we could alternate days with the pit bar they get it one day I get it the other she said sure but then gave them the pit bar everyday and told me I wasn’t as urgent. Or another instance is with conditioning as much as I don’t like conditioning I know it’s very important but we never condition anymore because the littles want to do trampoline well ya because there nine so I have been doing conditioning by myself with no instructions just figuring out. Now don’t get me wrong I love my coach and she is usually amazing but it’s just hard not being acknowledged or helped out during training well the new ones get everything.
I’m going through something almost exactly the same. Our entire upper level team has quit in the last several months except for two of us (level 9/10). Our coaches have started to put kids in level 2-4 in our group since it’s smaller, but it definitely makes it challenging. I wouldn’t say that we have trouble with equipment and stuff, but it is tricky to train with the younger kids since we always have to have our eyes peeled to make sure they aren’t walking behind the beam when we’re dismounting or running across the floor while we’re tumbling, etc. it’s also just a dif environment because we can’t talk about certain things during practice because they’re around. We love the younger ones, but training in the same group as them is hard. Are there other gyms nearby that you would consider moving to? I think the social aspect of gymnastics is really important, and if you’re in a group without many (or any kids) your age, then you aren’t able to experience the social benefits of gymnastics as much. Also training wise, it sounds like you aren’t getting the appropriate attention that you need to be able to reach your goals.

I’m going through something almost exactly the same. Our entire upper level team has quit in the last several months except for two of us (level 9/10). Our coaches have started to put kids in level 2-4 in our group since it’s smaller, but it definitely makes it challenging. I wouldn’t say that we have trouble with equipment and stuff, but it is tricky to train with the younger kids since we always have to have our eyes peeled to make sure they aren’t walking behind the beam when we’re dismounting or running across the floor while we’re tumbling, etc. it’s also just a dif environment because we can’t talk about certain things during practice because they’re around. We love the younger ones, but training in the same group as them is hard. Are there other gyms nearby that you would consider moving to? I think the social aspect of gymnastics is really important, and if you’re in a group without many (or any kids) your age, then you aren’t able to experience the social benefits of gymnastics as much. Also training wise, it sounds like you aren’t getting the appropriate attention that you need to be able to reach your goals.
Unfortunately I live in a smaller town so we only have one gym. I’m hoping that these new ones will learn with time that it’s not all about them and hoping my coach will realize that I am not improving as much because she is no longer really coaching me.

Yes I can totally understand that we need to add younger ones to keep the competitive program it just sucks that I am no longer getting the attention I need. Hopefully the new and fresh shiny girls phase will wear off.

I would say that you should ask you coach if you can come in a bit early one day and talk to her. You could go over your goals for the season and ask (genuinely) how best to achieve your goals given the availability of equipment and her attention. Offering to make things easier on her, like saying that you can manage your own conditioning at the gym if she provides you with a plan, might make her more open to discussion as well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back