Parents Level progression - is this normal?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This is what our gym does. You train the skills you are ready to train and compete the level where you can have success. If that means that you move up a level mid-season then that is what happens. Workout groups are arranged for various reasons and usually are training and competing multiple levels.

Just because a gym has this philosophy doesn't mean that they are trying to push every kid through multiple levels per season. Some will move through two levels in a season some will do one level a season and some will do a second season or partial season at a level. Decisions are made based on what is right for each child at that time in their development.

When we transitioned to this way of doing things it was initially very confusing for parents and the ambiguity is too much for some parents and they have left. It was 100% the parents that had problems with this. The kids had no problem understanding. Ultimately for the parents and gymnasts that have stayed and embraced the philosophy it has been a huge relief and everyone feels more comfortable and secure.

There is no pressure that you have to get a skill by a certain date or get a certain score. There is no emphasis put on what level the kids are so the parents are a lot less hung up on it. The kids just focus on training and competition is used for experience at the compulsory levels and once to optionals the ultimate goals for the child are taken into consideration and the plan for that is followed.

I am so glad my child is part of this type of environment where her personal needs and development are the top priority.

ok i feel better now. My 4 1/2 year old dd tryed level 2 there and the coach told us thisis her level. the training was amazing. She learned so much i that try class. the goalof this program is to advance kids as soon as posible for them tobe in elite class sooner.
also he said all competitions are optional that means if shewants to she can - and that for nonrecreational class. so that was odd because i thought team classes have to compete 6 times. but here only if you want.

i like this idea but assomeone said there is no team union - everyone by itself kinda. i know gymnastics is individual sport but still...

also this gym doesnt have a tryout time to be on the team. you can request it at any time and get on one based on the skills. tht is theonly gym in our area that does it.

ok i feel better now. My 4 1/2 year old dd tryed level 2 there and the coach told us thisis her level. the training was amazing. She learned so much i that try class. the goalof this program is to advance kids as soon as posible for them tobe in elite class sooner.
also he said all competitions are optional that means if shewants to she can - and that for nonrecreational class. so that was odd because i thought team classes have to compete 6 times. but here only if you want.

i like this idea but assomeone said there is no team union - everyone by itself kinda. i know gymnastics is individual sport but still...

the reason they may not require competiting is probably because we are talking about Level 2...a very basic, beginner level. Some people do not want the expense/headache of meets at such an early age, as competiting is not really necessary at that level.

I have never heard of any requirement regarding having to compete in 6 competitions at a level- that's not a USAG rule. That must be a particular gym you were looking at rule. I have seen many gymnasts that compete more than one level a season- not unheard of at all and shouldn't be any reason to not choose a gym IMO. I have never seen/heard of a Level 2 team that competes, just doesn't exist in my area, not to say it doesn't exist elsewhere. I would be a little wary of any gym trying to sell you on a 4 year old program that fast tracks to elite. Many children love gymnastics and are very good at gymnastics but aren't cut out for elite- it's a huge financial, time, physical, emotional, etc. commitment. Moving up more than one level is not an indicator of future success- it can be a result of many things- older girls who start late and get skills easily, a gym that's more interested in getting girls moved into Optionals as fast as possible, a child's/coaches/parents elite aspirations, kids who get skills quickly and would be bored doing 6 meets of mill circles when they have their kip, etc.

Competition isn't really competition, it's more an opportunity to get unbiased feedback from the judges (well supposedly) on what they've put together from their work in the gym......and to see how that aligns with other kids.

I like telling kids with "pre-state" jitters to calm down, everything that can be done has already taken place over the past few months during their gym training......and that I'm willing to accept any results that are a product of that work.

Gymnastics routines aren't like many other sports where a big rush of adrenaline is going to swoop in and save the day. With few exceptions, what kids do in meets is a reflection of what they do in the gym, and that's why I favor gym time over competition. I know I can't have it this way, but if I could get away with it, the optional kids I train would "compete" about every three weeks starting with a meet just before the winter break......but that's just in a dream world.

So, how do you decide what to train (level of skill) vs. what the kids should compete (if competition doesn't matter so much)?

So, how do you decide what to train (level of skill) vs. what the kids should compete (if competition doesn't matter so much)?

An experienced coach will be able to project, with-in a tolerable range, where a kid's going to be six months down the road, and train them for the specific requirements for that level. There's little downside to being slightly off on the projection, if the kid can embrace taking a long term approach, because they can either backstep, or compete at the level projected with a few struggles.

It would be really cool to see a girl compete L5 in the morning to score out, L6 in the afternoon to score out, and L7 in the evening :)

At our first meet this year there was a gymnast from another team who competed level 6 and then in the next session competed level 7. She was a level 5 last year. She did great as a 6 and decent as a 7. She was in my daughters. Age grop for 6 so we were happy to see her move up!

My DDs teammate last year as a Level 4 did very well as a first year level 4. She made TOPs B camp as an 8 year old, scored out of level 5 in October at 1 meet, scored out of Level 6 in November at another meet, and is now competing Level 7. She is absolutely breathtaking to watch do gymnastics! She turns 9 in March.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back