level6 bar question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What is the significance of tapping your feet on the level 6 bar routine. Daughters coach told her she might not compete bars at the meet she has in 2 days because she was tapping her feet. My daughter says the bars were in to far they have a large age range and heights in her group and this coach usual adjusts the bars. My daughter is upset because bars is one of her favorite and was told that she was doing well and that is her strongest event by the same coach. Actually I really love this coach she is probally her best coach I just do not understand why it seems to be a big deal or why she just did not move the bars.

I am assuming it is tapping the bar but I am not totally sure. I have heard other girls complaining they got in trouble for tapping their feet. I wondering if it is saftey issue but it seems alittle crazy go as far as making her scratch bars for this. It just became an issue last week when she had a newer coach who would not adjust the bars. It was not only my daughter is was also her teammate. Unfortantly eventhough daughter has practice the next 2 days I will be unable to approach the coaches and find out what is going on. I thought maybe a coach or more experienced parent could give me some insight. I just hope she is able to compete bars because I know she has all her skills.

I have never heard of tapping their feet on the low bar???? Not sure...

Could the coach be upset that they are NOT tapping in their tap swings????

I think the coach is saying she is tapping her feet on the mat after her clear hip to kip squat on. If that is right its a deduction. :eek:

It could be either the low bar or the floor. If your dd mentioned how wide the bars are set it sounds like the low bar. I would go in and ask - she should be able to have the bars set wider. It isn't a big deduction anyway but hurt and be a safety issue.

I would imagine that it is tapping on the floor, not a good thing as it is a big deduction. Just ask your DD, she certainly knows what she is tapping!

I can see a coach not allowing her to compete for this reason. What is the coach doing to help the team with this issue, would be my first question.

If it's tapping the floor, it can be considered a fall if it's bad enough. So a big deduction.

Tapping the low bar, also a deduction, but not something you want going on. If the heels hit, usually fine, but a toe hitting could mean a broken toe. It's going to happen at some point or the other on some bar settings for some girls, but definitely we need to minimize it and go back if it's happening, you can't just sit there and let it happen every turn. So that could be a reason if the coach feels it's gotten bad enough she needs to go back to basics to get her timing back.

As far as the setting it's difficult to say. I would just ask the coach.

Thanks for the input. I did find out more it seems like it was tapping the floor since the bar was lower. I was talking to a mom whose daughter went through this she said it was a big problem for her daughters group when they were at this level. I think when she is coming out of the free hip it happens. She said a lot of gyms allow the girls to split their legs to avoid this but our coaches do not allow this since it causes problems later on with the next skills. So at least I feel better knowing this. I quess it is a good thing that they are more concerned with her development as a gymnast as opposed to just competing. Tonight practice went better but daughter was on the other bar set. Tommorrow she has practice with hc so I will see what she will be able to compete at the meet. Daughter is actually not that upset if she has to scratch something she told me today that the if she taps at the meet it is a zillionth of a deduction.

The girls should not be going back and forth between bars with different settings. If some of them need the low bar raised up a little its not a big deal and the coach could have them do some bar work then lower the bar for the others.

I think when she is coming out of the free hip it happens. She said a lot of gyms allow the girls to split their legs to avoid this but our coaches do not allow this since it causes problems later on with the next skills. So at least I feel better knowing this. I quess it is a good thing that they are more concerned with her development as a gymnast as opposed to just competing.

Did your daughter's coaches elaborate at all on what problems it causes with the next skills? Just curious since both of my daughters were taught to straddle kip out of their clear-hip for L6 bars....

I think it is odd that you are allowed to put the bars higher. Everywhere else the bars are a set height for FIG and only exceptionally tall gymnasts are allowed to raise them and they have to apply in advance of the competition.

Wouldn't it be easier to just work with FIG regs in the long run. At what level do American gymnasts have to use FIG heights and widths. Is it when you go to optionals. I presume the higher levels, elite and college gymnasts go by normal FIG settings.

actually gymnut1, the USA is the only country (as far as i know) that can set their bars wherever they want as long as they're within manufacturers specs.

the elite level MUST work at FIG as this is an international rule for all countries that have competing elites.

I think it is odd that you are allowed to put the bars higher. Everywhere else the bars are a set height for FIG and only exceptionally tall gymnasts are allowed to raise them and they have to apply in advance of the competition.

Wouldn't it be easier to just work with FIG regs in the long run. At what level do American gymnasts have to use FIG heights and widths. Is it when you go to optionals. I presume the higher levels, elite and college gymnasts go by normal FIG settings.

Elites do but it would be pretty rare to find in NCAA, because it isn't required and most girls would prefer it farther than FIG at that stage.

Personally I don't see the big deal about it, if they got rid of the FIG standard, I wouldn't be too broken up about it. I'd rather see good skills and big swings at any setting.

I was thinking more about the height of the bars than the width. Haha I remember the bars being set so you could beat on the bottom bar. Now that was interesting.

I think in CPP (canadian provincial program) each time you tap the ground with your feet it is a .3 deduction, but i could be wrong.

I am not sure about the settings or such. I assume our head coach uses some kild of standerd setting and maybe that is why they won't adjust the bars she is very by the book. It happened today again at practice but daughter was determined she was competing bars at her meet tommorrow,so she would not get off the bar until she could do a routine without tapping. She was able to do it and coach is letting her compete all around except she has some really ugly rips on her hands. She is really excited for her 1st level.

If she's tapping her feet on the floor, then she should be able to lift her hips and control that, but if you're talking about tapping your feet on the low bar then I don't know.

I sometimes have trouble about hitting my feet on the floor after my half pirouette.

I was told by my coaches to hollow and plange down out of my pirouette so maybe she could plange and hollow down.
In level 4 I had that the problem that the bars weren't set right so I hit my feet. To solve this I lifted my hips up a little higher.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back