levels/routines question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Invisible Duck

Coach
Gymnast
I am tentatively thinking of going to the US early next year and would love to do some gym competitions whilst there.
Aside from all the other logistics of planning this, I was just wondering what level I would be and what my routines would be worth etc. If someone could take a look at my routines and let me know that would be great…… thanks! :) :)

Vault:
tuck tsuk

Bars
Jump 1/1 kip
Clear hip
kip
Hiccup (toe-shoot to high bar)
Long kip
Flyaway ½ twist

Beam
Mount: Jump on end
Full turn
Split jump, wolf jump
Change leg to side
Wolf jump ¾
Korbut
Split jump ½
Tuck (or pike) gainer dismount

Floor
Full turn leg at horizontal
Straddle jump 1/1 turn
Split jump 1/1 turn
Wolf jump 1/1 turn
Change leg leap, change leg to side

Punch front, punch front ½ twist
Back layout ½ twist
Front layout

Hi,
It looks like you are probably about a USAG Level 7/8. Most L8's have clear hip to hs, and have 2 giants- your toe up would count as a flight element so that would fufill that requirement. I'm not sure what the jump 1/1 kip is worth (no one really does that here, at least not that I have seen), but I think you are missing a "B" element.

Beam needs to have a flight series- conecting a backwalkover or backhandspring to the korbut, but I think you have to land on your feet on both elements in order to count as a connection (not sure though.)

If you went to train at a good gym, they could help you for sure. Most gyms have other 'leagues' here as well as USAG. It depends on wherever you end up- there's YMCA, prep opt, JOGA, USAIGC, etc. I dont really know much about the others- it might be worthwhile to research gyms/ leagues if you know where you are going to be living.:D

Beam needs to have a flight series- conecting a backwalkover or backhandspring to the korbut, but I think you have to land on your feet on both elements in order to count as a connection (not sure though.)

I *think* the series is okay as long as it starts and ends on the beam. I'm not positive either though.

You don't have to land on your feet from what I understand. I've seen girls do ff, Korbut at Level 8. Not a lot, but there was a couple.

You are some giants, a beam series, and a full twisting back layout away from L8.

I don't think you can compete Level 7 without taking quite a bit out of your routines. "C" and above skills are not allowed. These are your "C" skills that are not allowed: tuck tsuks, jump 1/1 kip (not sure of value, but I can't see it as a B), hiccup, bar dismount, switch side (it's actually a "D"), Korbut, Split half, straddle 1/1,(popa), split 1/1, wolf 1/1.

At L8, you're getting pretty close to hitting the mark exactly although you are doing some very difficult dance compared to most L8 JO gymnasts on beam and floor (you have lots of Cs and some Bs instead of almost all As and maybe one or two Bs). You'll need 4 As and 4 Bs on bars/beam/floor but are not precluded from doing Cs which count as Bs. The only thing you can't do is the switch side on the beam because it's a D. I think you have every special requirement except for a beam series (a back walkover/back handspring would work)? The tuck tsuk is worth a 9.8 start value out of 10. You have your requirements at Level 8 bars except for a giant although most gymnasts do a low-bar pirouette instead of a hiccup. Bars/beam/floor are a 10.00 start value so long as you have a beam series.

At L9, you are missing some elements, but are not too far off. If you have every special requirement, you will start at a 9.7 start value. You also need three As, four Bs and one C. You will get "bonus" for every connection you make depending on the combination and can get up to 10.00 that way (such as wolf 1/1 connected to straddle 1/1 on floor). On vault, your tuck tsuk is worth a 9.4 start value. On beam, you need a series with two flight elements (bhs/tuck or bhs/bhs) and a "B" dismount (like a full). On bars, you need giants and two bar changes so you need a release that goes down from high bar to low bar (pak or shootover). Your dismount needs to be a full off bars. On floor, you have everything you need.

At L10, you are missing more elements. If you have every special requirement, you will start at a 9.5 start value. You also need two As, five Bs and two Cs. You will get "bonus" for every connection you make depending on the combination and can get .1 bonus for every "D" you do. You cannot get to a 10.00SV without doing at least one tenth of combination AND one tenth of "D". On vault, your tuck tsuk is also worth a 9.4 state value. You need the same beam requirements but the series must have a salto in it (bhs/tuck or bhs/back layout) and a "C" dismount (like a double full). On bars, you need two bar changes with two releases. You already have the hiccup so all you need is the downhill like L9 plus a "C" bar dismount (like a double back). On floor, you have all B tumbling, so you need to dismount with a "C" (like a 1.5 full).

Please let me know if you have questions about what I've said or more specific questions. I covered a lot of ground!

Right now, a L7 depending on the gym. All you eed to do is some upgrades and you would be a solid 8. Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back