Levels

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

B

Bparupsky

My daughter is moving up to Level 5 this summer. What is the avg amt of time spent on each level?

I guess that is like asking the old piece of string question. There is no real answer. The best indicator for you is how long do girls at your gym seem to spend on each level, and what are your gyms requirements for moving up to the next level.

There is a thread here that is busy right now about holding gymnasts back to win, in it there is discussion of a gym that requires 38AA at a meet before a gymnast can advance to the next level.

Some gyms do not uptrain for the higher levels at all, some gyms uptrain constantly. Some girls take a long time to pick up new skills, other girls seems to pick up skills like viruses.

All that to say there is no way to tell how long she will spend at any level, but it is good to find out how it works in your gym.

Every gym is different, so it's best to talk to more experienced parents at your gym to see what they do.

At our gym, they look at the compulsory years more holstically. So, typically a girl will spend 4-5 years in the three compulsory levels. A lot of girls do 2 years of L4, but those that only do 1 year will often do 2 years of L5. Girls really do mature and gain skills at different rates. There are some girls who get stuck with injuries or fears and need to stay at L6 for an extra year or two before going to optionals. And then there are the girls who fast track through compulsories on their way to elite qualifiers.

Every gym is different in what they expect skill wise/maturity wise at each level and each child moves through the levels at different rates. Some girls will just blow through L5 in 1 year and hit a wall at L6. Others will spend 2 years at L5 and catch fire and move through L6 quickly. I'm mentioning L5/6 since they are the only "required" compulsory levels.

There are so many other things that can factor in: injuries, fear issues, issues balancing schoolwork/gym, coaching issues. No set answer to your question I'm afraid. Its certainly a day to day sport.

It will also depend on the long term goals of your gym for your child.

If the goal is to take the kids to the elite level and have them represent the country at the international level, they they will aim to have them level 10's by 10-11 years old. So generally several levels will be done in one year. They may do two or even three levels per year, simply doing 1 or 2 comps to score out of that level into the next one.

If the goal is college gymnastics scholarships then they will need to be level 10 by around 15, so the number of levels they do will depend on age. A younger gymnast would do 1 year per level, while an older one would be put through faster.

If the goal is to compete level 10 then 1-2 years at a level is average. Often 1 year at most levels with 2 years on 1-2 levels.

If the goal is to allow every child to reach their best potential then it could be anything from several levels per year to staying on the same level for 4 years.

Most coaches know when kids are ready to move up. Having to take a few years to do a level does not mean that gymnast won't be less successful, and doing several levels per year won't mean they will be more successful. Each child will move through at a pace that suits them. For some kids this means slow in the beginning, but then it all clicks later and they fly through optionals. Other kids will fly at the beginning and may get stuck later on at a higher level.

Ages?

Does this mean that if a gymnast does not reach level 10 by age 15 they can forget about ever doing college gymnastics?

Does this mean that if a gymnast does not reach level 10 by age 15 they can forget about ever doing college gymnastics?

No, you can do gymnastics in college if you have a much lower level of ability, I was referring to scholarships. They will start to look at kids for scholarships in their sophomore year and generally only look at level 10's or exceptional level 9's. So if thats a gymnasts goal they need to be at least the level of their grade. For example level 4 by 4th grade, level 7 by 7th grade and so on.

Not at all -- but Gymnastic scholarships would be near impossible to get.
I don't agree with this. As long as they reach level 10 by their junior year, there's a shot at a scholorship. Especially if the gymnast has some strong events that fit in with what the school is looking for. The girls who have 4 or 5 years of level 10 may have a better shot, but I don't think it's out of the question.

I know of one gymnast who did not reach level 10 until her senior year and got a full-ride gymnastics scholarship to a Division II school. Another one reached level 10 her junior year and also got a full ride gymnastics scholarship to a Division I school.

Most girls give up at level 4 due to injury or think it is to hard
Only the gymnasts who belive in themselves go on. If she thinks she is ready then i reckon she is.
Lauren Mitchell [australias best gymnast] said that she was not a amazing gymnast to start but it was her belife and determination that made her so good:)

To the Original Poster, My DD did 1 year of both L5 & L6. Now has done 2 years of L7 & L8. This was comfortable to her. I think that is the most important thing.. Her coach pushed her after her 1st year of L7 to be a L8. This was the only time she ever told me she wanted to quit. She just wasnt ready to be a L8. Once we took that pressure away from her she no longer wanted to quit and became very determined to be a L8 the next year.

Your DD will do the same, She will know the path that is right for her. Finding the right gym to guide your DD to through that path is the key.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back