Parents Life After Gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

tdoesgymnastics

Coach
Proud Parent
Gymnast
My 14 year old, incoming 9th grader, daughter recently quit gymnastics at the end of May. She was training for her level 7 season and it was a very difficult decision. It wasn't that she didn't love it anymore, more of her just wanting to try new things, and getting rid of lagging injuries. Her favorite part of gymnastics was the conditioning, she loathed competing. Because of this, she joined the cross country team. She was the only freshman to make the varsity squad and loves that the sport is a lot less stressful when it comes to practicing and competing. Cross Country practices in the summer were only 2 hours in the morning, instead of 24 hour weeks. In addition to running, she had time to do Cross it, and junior Olympic pole vault. She excels at all three things, my wallet is fuller, and we were able to go on vacation for the first time 5 years without having to worry about missing practice and losing skills! If you have any "Success after Gym" stories, I'd love to hear them!

Thank you for posting. My DD made the decision tonight to quit. She has been injured for 6-7 months and she would like to try other things. But it’s been such a part of our life for 5 years it’s nice to hear about others post-gym life!

She says she wants to try track and volleyball.

Your DD sounds very successful after gym! My YDD had to hang up her gymnastics leotards, but she just picked up ballet leotards instead. She went from beginner ballet to pointe in a year, jumped 3 levels in hip-hop and contemporary, as well as making it to the highest level of jazz that her studio offers. She’s also teaching creative movement and is starting musical theater classes. I’m so proud of her, but we aren’t quite as lucky as you- her training is still 15-20 hours per week and expensive! Ha!

My older DD retired from gym 2 seasons ago. She made the top club volleyball team for her age group (never played volleyball before), and last season tried track - won high jump and shot at every meet and placed top 3 in the 100 at every meet as well. Gymnastics definitely sets these athletes up for success in other sports.

Mine left gymnastics after level 8 (right after her 6th grade year). She jumped straight into soccer and basketball for her middle school. Has been doing very well with both (starter in soccer 7th and 8th grade) and was starting point guard for her basketball team this past season. She even got the opportunity to start on the high school softball team this past spring while in 8th grade. I agree that gymnastics gives many of these girls a great foundation as they move into other sports. Coaches also appreciate the fact that former gymnasts aren’t afraid to work hard. At least that’s what my daughter’s coaches have told me.

I had 3 daughters who all had to quit after getting to level 10. It was devastating for all of them. Two were because of injuries and one had an eating disorder/mental health issues. Two were age 14, one was 16. Two went on to become amazing dancers-both joined successful High School Dance Teams and one went on to make a big ten University Dance Team. Both of those girls also taught dance, coached gymnastics and choreographed floor routines to help pay for college. My other daughter became a successful pole vaulter and was recruited to pole vault in college D3 after 1 HS season. She also ran CC and got scholarship money for that. They are/were all highly successful academically and their bosses love them. Ultimately, gymnastics set a good foundation for a lifetime of success

My DD gave it up after 8th grade (after a whole summer out with injuries, and then continuous aches & pains).
She hasn't found a whole new sport, but during her Freshman year, she did rec volleyball (and did really well!), actually went to a high school football game like a regular high schooler, and had time to focus on school without 20 hours of gym stressing her out.
I don't know if she'll find a true sport again, other than just for fun, but her true passion is academics, so it's a win :)
She's very happy (even if she has moments of missing gym. Not "gymnastics" exactly, but the camaraderie, and the consistency of seeing those friends, etc.)

My daughter gave up gym about 1 1/2 years ago while repeating Lev 8. She switched to pole vault, was immediately successful, and is now on track (no pun intended) to pole vault in college. I bought her a pole for $400 and people thought I was crazy until I told them gymnastics was $500/month. Many gymnasts also triple jump long jump and do hurdles quite well too.

My daughter quit earlier this year. It was a TOUGH transition for the first month but since then it's been wonderful. We were lucky that literally the day after her last meet, she jumped into play rehearsals 3X week for the school play- something she never would have been able to try out for otherwise. She's had a great summer, we're not in such a tight situation financially, and her brain is so much healthier outside of the sport. She's started horseback riding and hopes to continue in theater this fall. Win!

Honestly, if you had told me a year ago there would be a time in the near future where I wouldn't see my daughter do a handstand for 4 months, I wouldn't believe you, but yet here we are. The girl used to be on her hands ALL THE TIME and I can't tell you the last time I saw her do one. I guess it really was time. She is having a hard time getting rid of her last two leotards, though. :)

Hey Life After Gym peeps...I've seen a few people mention dance. My kiddo may want to try it, and I wanted to hear maybe more stories about the transition to this or success of going from gymnastics to dance. I know of course the acro-style jazz/contemporary may work well for some ex-gymnasts. Just curious.

Hey Life After Gym peeps...I've seen a few people mention dance. My kiddo may want to try it, and I wanted to hear maybe more stories about the transition to this or success of going from gymnastics to dance. I know of course the acro-style jazz/contemporary may work well for some ex-gymnasts. Just curious.
I know a former L8 gymnast that transitioned seamlessly to ballet at the age of 11. She is 14 now and was invited to an "intensive" at Julliard this past summer.

My oldest, a multi year L10, left after several years of injuries. She started diving her junior year in high school and as of last week is diving in college on a D1 team. When asked which sport she prefers, diving wins by a landslide. Not only did gymnastics give her a head start on some of the dives, handling a 20+ hour a week practice schedule plus school has helped her adjust to the college training schedule. Some of her new teammates are struggling with that commitment.

My oldest, a multi year L10, left after several years of injuries. She started diving her junior year in high school and as of last week is diving in college on a D1 team. When asked which sport she prefers, diving wins by a landslide. Not only did gymnastics give her a head start on some of the dives, handling a 20+ hour a week practice schedule plus school has helped her adjust to the college training schedule. Some of her new teammates are struggling with that commitment.

My former gymnast turned diver says the same thing! I don't know if it's the sport itself or what as I find the intensity less in diving (or that could be because I'm clueless as to what I should be nervous about) ...but I remember it being a pressure cooker type environment from Level 4 on in gymnastics so you never know.

My daughter is dong competitive dance now. She was 11 when she had to quit gymnastics due to the back injury. She wanted to try dance, so we signed her up for some dance classes at a local studio. She took ballet, jazz, modern and hip-hop that first year for a total of 3.5 hours a week (nothing compared to 20 hrs\week of gymnastics she was doing prior to that). At the end of the school year there was an audition for a studios performance company, but she didn't make it.
So we went to a different studio in our town, the one that's actually had a competition team, because that's what DD was actually looking for. She tried out and was given a spot in the company and on the competition team. That was a year ago, she was 12. The hours increased just slightly, 4.5 hours a week (ballet, modern, lyrical), plus 1 to 1.5 hours competition dance rehearsal. She was in a large group dance, but later was offered a solo too. We did 3 competitions last spring, enjoyed it very much. She didn't place too high, but was in the top 10 at every competition.
This year she is taking ballet, modern and tap, and she is in 3 competition dances - large group, small group and solo. And she went on pointe in August, which is pretty cool for only taking ballet for less than 2 years.

One of my daughter’s old teammates moved right from gym into dance and she has done tremendously well. She was such a hard worker and so naturally graceful that she was quickly used for examples in class and being asked to join their competitive team. She loves it. She’s also done some theater and cheer.

I have one that figured out pretty early on that gym wasn't for her and made a great transition to sprinting in track and field. It's inexpensive, only two days a week for 1.5hrs each day and the coaching situation is amazing.
For the first time I'm starting to kind of look forward to being done with the punishing 24 hour gym training schedule my oldest daughter has. I worry about school (grade 8) and gym burning her out this year. We're only in our second week of school and we've already had homework drama.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back