WAG Links to well performed floor routines?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I’ll share my dd’s Video bc she always got comments on her floor routine last year. She’s not the most graceful but her personality is huge and she wasn’t scared to get out there and work her floor routine. This particular routine scored a 9.4

I am going to miss watching her on floor sooooooo much (she had to quit gymnastics a couple of months ago due to Perthes disease.).

I think choreography is important but the most important thing is for the music and routine to match the gymnast’s personality. They need to look like they are having fun out there.

I love it! She looks like she is having a blast!

So many of these routines have really clean execution of skills. Nice job. What do you think of sassy vs serious performances? Not all gymnasts are Ragan Smith types and don't feel comfortable mugging or shaking it. Some gymnasts have a more classical approach. Are judges penalizing this or favoring the cheer- style gymnasts? I don't know.

I Love this one, it really shows her strength (flexibility)

I don't understand this routine or the score. The whole time I was thinking, "Do something." It is required that she move out of the corner and not just stand there stretching and posing. She definitely is very flexible and has beautiful lines, her tumbling is perfect, but she's lacking some things and it's frankly a little boring. A good choreographer can make this spectacular vs "she's really flexible and has clean lines."

So many of these routines have really clean execution of skills. Nice job. What do you think of sassy vs serious performances? Not all gymnasts are Ragan Smith types and don't feel comfortable mugging or shaking it. Some gymnasts have a more classical approach. Are judges penalizing this or favoring the cheer- style gymnasts? I don't know.

I have said this here before - I'll say it again.
Judges will have a preference, that is the nature of the sport or any judged sport. It is open to opinion.

That being said, just because a gymnast is more of a ballerina than she is a cheerleader with her performance, does not mean that the movements cannot be fluid & complete and entertaining to watch. Complete, clean, 'big' movements is what makes a routine beautiful to watch - regardless of style. & a gymnast will always look best and score her best doing a routine that compliments her.
It is no different going to a ballet and watching the dancers on stage. The routines are BEAUTIFUL and their movements are flawless - and nothing like 'cheerleading' (vise versa when you go to a cheerleading competition).

Just my opinion

Thank you all so much! This is very helpful! Dd still does her floor in a way that makes it seem like she's "marking" it, instead of performing, so I really would like to show her the difference!

I feel like the transition from compulsory to optionals on floor is a weird one. They are meant to be so exact in compulsory down to arm angles and movements, and it seems like the more ‘robotic’ compulsory routines do well. Then they are supposed to be all personality in optionals after having to be so exact. I think the compulsory to optional transition is a hard one for a lot of kids when it comes to showing off their floor routines.

I just wish she had covered more of the floor. With a routine and performance this good, she stays in one place for too long, then another place for awhile, then the last pass and stays put in the corner. She'd surely lose points for spaciality. Such a great performer, though. I can only imagine if they'd choreograph some more floor coverage into this.

Not to mention she doesn't really look like she's enjoying herself. Her face is really emotionless. I'd like to see her engage a bit more - more actual performance.

I’ll share my dd’s Video bc she always got comments on her floor routine last year. She’s not the most graceful but her personality is huge and she wasn’t scared to get out there and work her floor routine. This particular routine scored a 9.4

I am going to miss watching her on floor sooooooo much (she had to quit gymnastics a couple of months ago due to Perthes disease.).

I think choreography is important but the most important thing is for the music and routine to match the gymnast’s personality. They need to look like they are having fun out there.

THIS! This one is exactly what I would be showing my daughter.

I feel like the transition from compulsory to optionals on floor is a weird one. They are meant to be so exact in compulsory down to arm angles and movements, and it seems like the more ‘robotic’ compulsory routines do well. Then they are supposed to be all personality in optionals after having to be so exact. I think the compulsory to optional transition is a hard one for a lot of kids when it comes to showing off their floor routines.

Yes, exactly! I feel like my dd is kind of at a loss now that not every minute movement is choreographed.

Reactions: SMH

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back