WAG List of allowable skills for Xcel A/B VP

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Alex Gold

Coach
Hey all,

This is probably a common question, but I couldn't find an exact match.

I've read the the Xcel Code of Points (the last 2017 update) and it seems to be missing a rather critical piece - that is, a list of skills that count as "A", "B", etc. for each event. There is the one page that lists "additional" skills, but it is not complete.

For instance - on bars, Silver can do a straddle sole circle dismount. However, the only place it shows up is in an example routine - which is certainly not an exhaustive list either.

So, simply put - is there an (current) list of exactly what counts for each VP level for each event? It seems like the most obvious thing to include in the Code of Points, and yet . . . ?

Thanks!
Alex

the new Xcel code just went to print. You can probably purchase it soon. There were several changes for this year, so you need the updated version. Maybe this one will have what you're looking for.

The Apple store says that the new Xcel code was released on August 14th and you can click to purchase, but the purchase isn't going through for me. I've tried on my iPad and computer, anyone else having this issue? Or is it a problem with my account?

Pretty much, the Xcel A's and B's are the same as JO A's and B's ... with a few exceptions.
The ones I can think of off the top of my head are:
1. There is an "A" cast in Xcel ... cast not to handstand, but at least the required height for the Xcel Division.
2. All Beam mounts that aren't listed as a "higher" value skill have an "A" value.
3. There is a 1/4 On-1/4 Off vault (to end facing away from the table) for Gold and up.

The Apple store says that the new Xcel code was released on August 14th and you can click to purchase, but the purchase isn't going through for me. I've tried on my iPad and computer, anyone else having this issue? Or is it a problem with my account?
I haven't tried to purchase it yet, but the demo had a lot of typographical errors (things spilling into hidden parts of cells with no ability to resize it) . . . I'll probably get it eventually but for now I'm getting the hardcover version and I'll let the digital one sort itself out for a while and get some reviews :).

Pretty much, the Xcel A's and B's are the same as JO A's and B's ... with a few exceptions.
The ones I can think of off the top of my head are:
1. There is an "A" cast in Xcel ... cast not to handstand, but at least the required height for the Xcel Division.
2. All Beam mounts that aren't listed as a "higher" value skill have an "A" value.
3. There is a 1/4 On-1/4 Off vault (to end facing away from the table) for Gold and up.
So my follow-up question is if there is a set list for the JO program - there could well be, but I'm pretty much focusing on Xcel right now and don't know the normal JO material as well. Could you point me to a good resource on that? Thanks!

So my follow-up question is if there is a set list for the JO program - there could well be, but I'm pretty much focusing on Xcel right now and don't know the normal JO material as well. Could you point me to a good resource on that? Thanks!
The JO Code of Points... there is an entire section of skills for each event, broken down into separate "sections."
Actually, there should be a similar thing in the Xcel COP... toward the back.

The printed Xcel code will have a skill list to go with each event (at least my old version does)- it's a grid broken into categories (jumps, turns, acro, dismounts) with A/B/C skills that are more commonly used in Xcel. It's not as complete as the JO version, but it should be enough to get you started. If your gym has an optional program they likely have the JO code of points on hand which will have a more complete skill list.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back