Little Girls in Pretty Boxes

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have to say I agree with you coachL. To me a hard working attitude, strong sense of self drive, committment and dedication are worth more that 10 perfect body types. But it is the system we have to live with.

There are lots of clubs that don't take kids who are tall. its not just an aussie thing, they do it in canada and the US.

i am perfectly aware that gymnasts are yelled at and have to watch their weight. some clubs think thats just a part of it. And its usually those clubs that have good kids.

many people would think that we are horribly abused, but its not like that! we love what we do, and we're tough. if you want to be good you just have to put up with that.

thanks

hey thanks for the website (to watch the movie)...i loved this movie as a kid!! im glad that i found it again:)

I used the search button..I didnt want to be made to sit in the corner by Bog for misbehaving..lol.

Anyway..I remember this movie from when I was 20 (am i giving away my age?). I remember watching it, but 13 yrs later I really dont remember much about it. Except that I sat there scratching my head alot.

Well, I ordered the book a couple days ago and should have it within the next couple weeks. I prefer to read the books first before seeing movies. I got it backwards this time, but since its been so long they cancel each other out..lol

I know that there is always a difference between movies and books. Is it a big difference? Which leans more towards the truth..the book or movie?

Im hopeing its a good book. If so then I will try and find a way to get my paws on the movie so i can watch it.

There are lots of clubs that don't take kids who are tall. its not just an aussie thing, they do it in canada and the US.

i am perfectly aware that gymnasts are yelled at and have to watch their weight. some clubs think thats just a part of it. And its usually those clubs that have good kids.

many people would think that we are horribly abused, but its not like that! we love what we do, and we're tough. if you want to be good you just have to put up with that.

I know that can be the case but I do want to point out that not all gyms are like that. Our gym is known for making excellent gymnasts out of all body types and we are a well known and respected gym. We don't weigh, we don't restrict on height or body type and weight is never an issue.
Our gym is home to the lvl 9 eastern all around champ. One of our lvl 10's won 1st in beam at nationals and is headed to the Netherlands to compete in a few days and is a member of the JO national team. All our levels do well at meets. I love going to see our girls because they are a rainbow of body types in all levels. We almost always have the largest teams out there. Our girls are not all the same perfect little body and I like that.

I was so excited to see this thread on here. I'm actually reading the book for about the 10th time or so on my breaks at work. I saw the movie several years ago when it came out on Lifetime. The book is so sad and a real eye-opener!

Because of this thread, I also picked up the book "Little Girls in Pretty Boxes". I must say it was truly hard to read. The entire book deals with a very dark side of gymnastics and it does not let up. Lists almost every gymnast traumatized, died, injured, etc., in the name of the sport. In any event, even though elite gymnastics training is probably (and hopefully) no longer has harsh as it is depicted in the book, it may be good for parents of aspiring elite athletes to read. It puts things in proper perspective and may tame overzealous parents. I also picked up "Chalked Up" by Jennifer Sey. This was easier to read. I'd recommend "Chalked Up" before "Little Girls in Pretty Boxes". The former is one gymnast's account of her experience as an elite gymnast. And in the latter, the author set out to find every "fallen" gymnast and expose all the negative aspects of gymnstics she could find. A very biased and unfair account.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back