Little Gymnast Switching Feet for Different Skills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Moxiegrl83

Proud Parent
My 5 yr old is on pre-team, and her HC noticed she is using different feet for different skills. Gorgeous right footed cartwheel, great left food handstand. She's basically switching feet for everything. I mark her right foot for practice now, and she's been practicing at home doing things with the "right" foot, but it's frustrating for her. Any way I can make it easier, and come more natural? She can do the skills with both feet, she just doesn't automatically use the same one every time.

My son has the same issue, but it wasn't caught until this past competition season. He has a "mixed dominance" which it sounds like your daughter does. Our coach took time to figure out which should be his lead foot based on lots of factors. It was determined taht he needs to go left. So we have spent months fixing it. The only way to do it is to practice, practice, practice. It isn't going to come easy, but at least you have figured it out before she was 9 (like my son!) He almost has his back full back, but still forgets mid air and twists both ways. Only time and practice will get it!

DD was the same, could do skills with both feet, but the skills looked better on one foot than the other - unfortunately not the "better" foot varied with the skill. Her coach eventually decided on a lead foot, by the arduous task of her going through a long list of skills with one foot, then the other and rating which looked the best, in the end her right foot won!
We did the same as you, marked her foot for practice... for months. She actually competed her first season of level 4 with nail polish on the big toe of her right foot only to remind her which foot to lead with.
She automatically leads with her right foot now, but it was a long, long process for it to become second nature to her.

to figure out which leg is "truly" their dominant leg, have your DD stand in front of you with her back facing you, eyes closed....

don't tell her what you plan on doing, but then give her a light shove forward, enough to make her take a step. see which foot she steps with...that should be the leg she is most comfortable on.

since she is doing a left HS, i'm thinking she is a lefty....

Another trick is to watch her going up stairs. The dominant leg goes up the first stair even if you have to change your gait at the bottom of the steps.

Neither of the two "tricks" listed above work for me. I catch myself from falling by stepping forward with my right leg and I step up onto the first stair with my right leg, but I prefer my left leg for both handstands and cartwheels (And roundoff lefty as well).

I do, however, hurdle onto the springboard "righty" when vaulting, so I suppose these methods could have some merit on vault.

DD's coaches base the "correct" leg on twisting direction. They had her do several twisting straight jumps from standstill (jump straight up, twist as much as you can). It was easily apparent which direction was better. Relate that to a round off, where you're doing a 1/2 twist in a direction that's dependent on which leg you put forward first. They felt it was important to maintain the same twisting direction at all times, and that direction should be based on which direction was naturally better at twisting.

Switching legs has been an ongoing thing since the season ended in December. DD will say she's still not where she was in terms of comfort/power. I assume it will be better in the long run.

i agree with stepping up a stair with my right leg. but i am a lefty. i also agree to have them try to jump full turn or double turn. usually though, their first instinct is the right one. i'm still betting she's a lefty....i can do a right leg leap and cartwheel, but i am a lefty for sure. i think i also hurdle on vault with my right leg, but i dont pay too much attention to that....

also, how are her splits? all 3 down or does she have a more flexible leg?

The twisting thing usually works, but my son could twist equally as well either way! That wasn't helping...in fact, it is still a problem (it is a front full if you twist left in and right out! LOL!) His came down to the fact that he could NOT do a round-off leading right, which meant he lost all of his back tumbling. So they switched the front handsprings, lunges, and handstands, and he almost has it down as well as before. That twisting thing is coming....it just takes time and repetition!!!

Thanks for all the replies. It does make me wonder how for sure they know they are training the right leg. Her splits are good. Side splits both ways are about equal (maybe an inch off the ground both ways, her straddle is about 2/3" up. I just tried the twisting test, and she twisted right every time. Then I asked for a handstand and she used her left. I just wish there was some way I could make it fun, or a game, to help her get the hang of using the right foot.

I've seen gyms where they put a loose hair scrunchie on the dominant leg to get the kids used to it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back