Parents little kids "show" at big meet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

dani4

Proud Parent
My gym is giving all the kids in the developmental classes (kind of a pre-pre team) the opportunity to be in a "show" at the upcoming invitational that our gym is hosting. It's in 2 weeks. Initially I wasn't going to sign my daughter up, because she's kind of down on gymnastics class right now and I think this may be her last session for a while (or forever, if she doesn't ask to go back). However, she is a major show-off and dreams of being on stage. She is still mad at me that I didn't let her be in the neighborhood parade with her dance school last summer- she often brings it up. Anyway, I mentioned that there was going to be this show and she was seriously freaking out that she HAD to be in it... even after I explained the details that it's not like a dance show, that it is a gymnastics competition like the one we went to last year (thank goodness we went to see regionals last spring so she has some idea of what I'm talking about). She is SO EXCITED. So of course I caved. I signed her up. I'm excited for her too... but really hoping I didn't make a mistake. She is a big performer but this is going to be a much bigger stage than any she has ever been on, and I'm a little concerned that when the time comes she might be too nervous. At least I know she likes the coach who is in charge of this whole thing, and I'm hoping there will be other kids she knows there.

Another reason I didn't want to do this thing is that it requires that I purchase the pre-team leo, and of course it costs more than all the leos my daughter currently owns combined (because I buy everything used). And there's the fact that they don't seem to make a leotard that fits my ridiculously tall and skinny 5 year old- maybe these fancy expensive ones will fit better, but I am skeptical. She is like 90th percentile for height, and 25th for weight.

But hey, we were planning to go catch a session or two of the meet anyway, so why not let her do it? And my younger daughter (almost 3) is still loving gymnastics (she's also in the developmental program) so she may use the leotard later on. Unfortunately my 3 year old also wants to be in the show, but they didn't open it up to the 3 year olds this year. This kid is going to give me grief too, she keeps telling me to call and ask them if they will make an exception (meanwhile just her being in the developmental class is an exception since she's not actually 3 yet- so I really don't think so hon!).

Has anyone ever seen this kind of show or exhibition of preschool/developmental gymnastics at a regular club invitational? Is it a regular feature? Just wondering what we're in for... the gym has given us very little information. Actually the details were so sketchy that on the flier for the show it didn't mention that it was part of the invitational- I pieced it together with other information about the meet from dates & location. I had to register online and was told that I would receive more information by email... so we'll see.

Our old gym did something like that and ran it like a mock meet. The older kids pretended they were judges and gave each kid (the same) ribbon after each event. Ds loved it. It really was a great way to find out if your pre teamer wants to compete someday. Have fun!

I would think it will be like a little choreographed floor routine. Kids love it, audience love it, and it's a way to show off the gym and keep the audience entertained while scores/medals are being organised.

You often see it here, in little kids comps they get the biggies in to show off their level 8/9/10 floor routines so the parents all see how good little susie will be, and at bigger girls comps the littlies give the parents something to coo over and reminisce when big susie was starting out.

It sounds to me like your DD will love it, and it could re-kindle her interest in gym again :). Also it really doesn't matter if she stands there sucking her thumb, or forgets the routine. She's 5, and people will just think it's cute :)

Our gym does this at the meet we host and we've been to a few meets that do the same.
Basically the girls learn a 'routine' and all perform it together. Easy and lots of applause!
and I think it's to get them psyched to stay on the team!!

We have it at our gym's invitational. It's super cute. My youngest did it when she was on preteam.

I've figured out that it's taking place after the last event of the actual meet, so it's kind of an add-on thing. Still waiting for an email with info from the gym. I'm thinking we'll go early and watch the last session first.

It should be fun, whatever it is. I'll update when it's over. I kind of hope it gets my daughter interested in staying in gymnastics for a while longer. It's been so good for her. I don't really know if she's team material but I like the developmental classes because she is learning more body awareness and building strength. She always seems happy when she's in the class- she's all smiles. But afterwards she complains that it makes her tired. I think she's also aware that she's not picking it up as easily as some of the other kids.

My daughter's developmental team did this at a meet in April of last year, kind of a rite of passage kind of thing. They did all 4 events, got real scores, and learned the actual (old) level 3 routines. Their coach told the parents before the meet that basically she'd be happy if the girls did ANYTHING out there other than run off crying. :) And none of them did!

Our gym occasionally does an exhibition show on the floor with the pre-team girls. My DD did it when she was on pre-team. It gets the girls used to being in front of a crowd and exposes them to a meet atmosphere. And it's super-cute besides. We still have the video. :)

HC gave each of them a medal at the end of the performance.

The show was yesterday- DD "competed" and had a great time! They did all the events, with lots of direction & spotting from coaches and big kid team volunteers. It was very cute. There must have been over 100 kids from ages 4-6 or 7ish, all from our gym (it has a few different locations). My daughter was just getting over being sick and I almost kept her home, but she would have been devastated and it turned out to be fine so I'm glad that I let her go.

It was kind of interesting to see where my daughter is in comparison to a bunch of other kids in her age/level. She is not a great gymnast, but I loved that she really tried to do everything even though I could see she had some stage fright and general fear issues (wouldn't walk on the beam alone even though I know she can). She loves performing, but she's also terrified of performing... I've heard that is pretty normal for many great performers. I think she's going to love dance class.

I am glad it went well! Our gym had an exhibition last year but not at a regular meet (we don't host) - it was at a practice meet for the competitive gymnasts. For us, the pre-team leo was optional. But overall, it was a great experience for my DD. Hope you had fun!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back