WAG Liukin just resigned

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

You are right but it's hard to see the big picture right now...
I understand. In your child's case, I would frame it for her that this is her trial year for dipping her toes in the "elite waters". She can still get all that experience at the qualifiers and show off all the hard work she has put in. All that experience will make her even stronger and better for next year! She is obviously with good club coaches if they have gotten her this far, so can continue on her path.

I do feel for the Junior and Senior elites whose year has been put in such flux.(Not to minimize you or your kids feelings!) Elite gymnastics is not just about making the Olympic team once every four years. So few get that chance. Making the National Team is usually the goal, wearing that team USA uniform and getting to represent our country in International competition - World Championships or Pac Rims or Jesolo Trophy or Pan Ams or a World Cup event. Many elite athletes only get a year or two opportunity on that stage. Hopefully this process will end up creating a National Team that all involved can be more proud of, but it's also ok for those kids caught in the middle to feel cheated of opportunities for which they worked so hard.

I understand, and i am sorry. But for your child's sake, I am sure you are staying as positive as you can. The blessing for her is she can still compete J.O., and the program may very well become amazing when it is critical for her in the future. Not sounding harsh, because I get it, but the ones who really have it rough are the older ones farther along the path. It will be a real test for them. Do they love gymnastics enough to stay in it...or was it just a race to a common goal and now that the goal is uncertain, is gymnastics uncertain to them in their heart. I hope she has an amazing qualifier!

I understand. In your child's case, I would frame it for her that this is her trial year for dipping her toes in the "elite waters". She can still get all that experience at the qualifiers and show off all the hard work she has put in. All that experience will make her even stronger and better for next year! She is obviously with good club coaches if they have gotten her this far, so can continue on her path.

I do feel for the Junior and Senior elites whose year has been put in such flux.(Not to minimize you or your kids feelings!) Elite gymnastics is not just about making the Olympic team once every four years. So few get that chance. Making the National Team is usually the goal, wearing that team USA uniform and getting to represent our country in International competition - World Championships or Pac Rims or Jesolo Trophy or Pan Ams or a World Cup event. Many elite athletes only get a year or two opportunity on that stage. Hopefully this process will end up creating a National Team that all involved can be more proud of, but it's also ok for those kids caught in the middle to feel cheated of opportunities for which they worked so hard.
Did you read my mind....you said it MUCH better than I did.

You are so right, thank you so much!! Just got so caught off guard when the news broke today I wasn't sure how to digest it. Able to look at the big picture more clearly now after the initial shock has worn off. She will be just fine, hopefully even better in the end with a healthier environment to be a part of!!!

I understand, and i am sorry. But for your child's sake, I am sure you are staying as positive as you can. The blessing for her is she can still compete J.O., and the program may very well become amazing when it is critical for her in the future. Not sounding harsh, because I get it, but the ones who really have it rough are the older ones farther along the path. It will be a real test for them. Do they love gymnastics enough to stay in it...or was it just a race to a common goal and now that the goal is uncertain, is gymnastics uncertain to them in their heart. I hope she has an amazing qualifier!
You are absolutely right, my heart goes out to the girls that are at the end of their qualifying/elite paths, the ones that have been training with Valeri for the last few years, I can't even imagine what they are all going through right now.

Gymnastics is no ordinary sport, especially at the higher levels. These young kids dedicate their entire childhoods to the pursuit of excellence in gymnastics. In other sports they might train a few days a week and compete ever Saturday. But gymnasts train 30-40 hours a week, for very few opportunities.

There are also so few guarantees. It's not always easy to say "there is always next year". Because that is no guarantee. With the hours of training, injury risk is high. With the age of our kids trying for elite, at anytime between about 10 and 17 these kids bodies can change dramatically in a short time, making it very hard for them to continue.

Of course all these hopeful elite parents want the sport to become safer for their children going forward, of course they want these issues sorted out. But I can certainly understand the concerns of parents and gymnasts not knowing if these events will happen or not.

Gymnastics is no ordinary sport, especially at the higher levels. These young kids dedicate their entire childhoods to the pursuit of excellence in gymnastics. In other sports they might train a few days a week and compete ever Saturday. But gymnasts train 30-40 hours a week, for very few opportunities.

There are also so few guarantees. It's not always easy to say "there is always next year". Because that is no guarantee. With the hours of training, injury risk is high. With the age of our kids trying for elite, at anytime between about 10 and 17 these kids bodies can change dramatically in a short time, making it very hard for them to continue.

Of course all these hopeful elite parents want the sport to become safer for their children going forward, of course they want these issues sorted out. But I can certainly understand the concerns of parents and gymnasts not knowing if these events will happen or not.
Thank you, exactly how I'm feeling but couldn't figure out how to explain my feelings without sounding like I was disregarding all the victims.

Oh my goodness. I do see that the Classic is no longer on the event website. I know it is the best for the sport, but ouch. My dd has worked hard to come back from injury to compete this season. I hope she will have one. Thanks for sharing the news.

I wouldn't want most of that list of coaches to become NTC - some also have strong abuse rumours following them whereas others have been very vocal supporters of the Karolyis' methods and the ranch.

I wonder if Aimee Boorman would like to return to elite?

Well I guess you can be glad you're not at Geddert's so you don't need to think about a gym change.....going forward will hopefully be a safer and healthier gymnastics environment for all athletes with respect for them as persons so they feel good about themselves ( versus being told they are fat and awful and kicked out of the gym for missing a series etc) , and that's what we all want, isn't it?

I don't have kids still in the sport but I don't want the next generation of gym parents to have to worry if the environment they drop their kid off in is ripe for physical,mental or sexual abuse. USAG has been informed big time and needs to make big time changes and unfortunately for the 2018-19 era kids, they may need to alter their timelines.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back