WAG Liukin just resigned

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I’m not surprised in the least regarding death threats. People are crazy. My husband was in management at a facility with union workers. When it was contract negation time and they couldn’t come to an agreement (during the recession in 2008) and went on strike, we ended up having to have 24 hour security outside our home. This is a small scale thing- 200 employees with a “few bad apples”. They did things like throw nails in our driveway, slashed tires etc. People in the union told my husband they didn’t want to vote with them but feared for their safety as they had been threatened. They did what was best for their family because they matter more than anything. I can only imagine what happens when it’s a story on nationwide media.

I have a question regarding gymnasts who claimed Liukin to be abusive. Atler, Ohashi, and Wofford moved to WOGA from other gyms when they were already elites. Have there been any other gymnasts who started training at WOGA at very young age report the same problem? If not, was it because they were all used to (accustomed) the culture at the gym at that time? I said at that time because now I know parents are happy with the coaches who currently work at the gym.

Valeri started easing out of the gym after Nastia's comeback attempt in 2012. He slowly handed most gym based activities over to Laurent Landi, and was gone more and more, handing his few remaining gymnasts over to Laurent until they graduated. He was in the gym occasionally during that time, typically on "passthroughs" where he might give pointers or tips to a girl here or there, but was not actively coaching at WOGA. I doubt he knew most girls' names. During that time Valeri was focused on being USAG developmental coordinator. That meant a lot of time at the Ranch over the last 7 years. In addition, when he took over, he said specifically that he didn't see any need for changes beyond "minor tweaks." https://gymblogcentral.com/2016/10/qa-with-valeri-liukin/

When he was at WOGA, he was a phenomenal technician, but as gymnasts like Ohashi, Atler, and Wofford (and many others who may start to come out of the woodwork now) can attest, he was not always nice person, or a supportive coach. His methods definitely get results, though, and if he does return to WOGA I guarantee you that no matter what he's accused of, there will be a line of parents at the door begging to pay big bucks to put their children in his hands. Resigning may be a hugely positive financial decision for him: go down with the USAG ship or quit now and make a killing.

The bolded - and the fact that he was handpicked by Martha - is exactly why Liukin had to go.

My heart truly does go out to the current National Team members, elites & their families. I hope a continuity plan is in place for them soon.

I have a question regarding gymnasts who claimed Liukin to be abusive. Atler, Ohashi, and Wofford moved to WOGA from other gyms when they were already elites. Have there been any other gymnasts who started training at WOGA at very young age report the same problem? If not, was it because they were all used to (accustomed) the culture at the gym at that time? I said at that time because now I know parents are happy with the coaches who currently work at the gym.
There are no coaches left at WOGA who were really active when Valeri was there - I believe the longest serving coach currently there is Janelle McDonald, although Meagan Haute was a WOGA gymnast who returned to coach. Laurent and Cecile Landi (who left last spring) were the last coaches still there who coached with Valeri. I know a number of gymnasts left after the Landi's left because WOGA hasn't yet (to my knowledge) been able to replace them with elite level coaches. There is also a difference between WOGA Frisco and WOGA Plano. Most people from outside the Dallas area don't realize they are two completely separate gym systems.

I reiterate that when you are raised in an elite environment like WOGA (I'm not saying this is the case with WOGA specifically), it is difficult, if not impossible to recognize what abuse looks like until you leave and experience something else. Part of that is the understanding that if you don't say you're happy with the coaches, your child can get shunned or not coached. It also has to do with where you are - if you are mid-season and your child is winning everything, it's easy to "forget" things that happened previously. There are also some gymnasts who simply fit the system and have an excellent experience. Their parents may be very happy.

Nastia put up a post on Instagram saying “I send nothing but love and peace to the people that have and continue to try to bring my family down” and “We are much stronger than you think.” Idk how she feels people are trying to bring them down? Valeri rightfully resigned. He in no way deserved to be Team Coordinator.

Nastia put up a post on Instagram saying “I send nothing but love and peace to the people that have and continue to try to bring my family down” and “We are much stronger than you think.” Idk how she feels people are trying to bring them down? Valeri rightfully resigned. He in no way deserved to be Team Coordinator.

I love how she turns this into a all about me and my family thing...

I get that she isn't going come out and say anything negative about her father but sometimes just saying nothing would be preferable. Nastia has been so incredibly tone deaf to any of USAG's victims in my opinion, or she just has someone clueless advising her about speaking out. Sometimes less is more...

OMG I'm thinking she must not have any advisors at all. How is it that so many public people do not think before posting on social media?

Some USAG staff are receiving threats. No matter whether he should have had the position he does not deserve threats to his safety or family.

absolutly death threads are not acceptable in any way but her "that was not my experience" comment regarding the abuse accusations during a gymnastics broadcast some time ago (i do not remember which one it was) spoke volumes to me. she does probably not want to change the culture of usag. she seems to think it is fine at it is?!

I have no doubt that every single person on this board finds threats against any member of USAG absolutely disgusting. The right way to fiercely advocate for change and improvement does not include threats of violence, and I'm sorry for Liukin or the Peszek family or anyone else who has been made to feel unsafe.

But I also firmly believe, based on the firsthand accounts of his gymnasts, that Valeri Liukin was not the right person to lead USAG in a new direction and I'm glad he resigned. I also believe that Nastia needs to realize that her gymnastics experience was not representative or typical, and take some time to sit back and listen to what others are saying rather than responding defensively as she has been doing for over a year.

We, as a community, need to speak out against anyone we see making threats in the gymnastics world, but we also need to continue to speak up and pursue the change that the sport clearly needs. The two aren't mutually exclusive, and fighting for change does not need to devolve into hatred and threats.

Some USAG staff are receiving threats. No matter whether he should have had the position he does not deserve threats to his safety or family.

OF COURSE harassment and threats are unacceptable. It was unclear if that’s who she was referring to as trying to “bring down” her family. She posted that right after her father resigned and around the same time as a photo with her father saying “family forever” or something so I got the impression that she’s upset about her father being pushed out of his position.

Maybe if she wanted to denounce the threat-senders she could have done it more like Sam and actually stated that that’s who she was addressing. I’m not trying to nitpick Nastia, but as a former FIG and USAG Athlete Rep of several years, and someone who still holds a lot of influence in the sport, she needs to be careful about what she says. To me nearly everything she’s posted lately comes across defensive and insensitive.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back