WAG Liukin just resigned

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I don't have a dog in this fight, I have never met him and it is highly unlikely that I will ever meet him. I will say that I don't personally think all of this drama surrounding his resignation is a good thing for the sport. He resigned. Per his statement, it was HIS CHOICE. Frankly, if he chose to step down, any and all communication should be in SUPPORT of the changes and whoever is chosen to fill that role. I understand that "his" gymnasts/ coaches may be upset, but all of this stuff on social media makes me feel unsettled. Can you imagine the pressure it would put on a kid/coach to "go along" and support him (because what if he came back?!) even if maybe they had very good reason to NOT support him? It just feels like it could silence someone or shame someone for NOT liking his methods? (not saying that anyone doesn't like him or whatever just putting it out there). It just feels too much like how people treated Nassar at his "peak"- like he was above reproach, that no one could take his place etc. And look how that turned out. Look, I don't know anything about the man, but he stepped down, and it is time to look forward. No one is untouchable, no one is irreplaceable- that is just life. Change - including change of this role- can be healthy and good- great even! Hanging on to the past in this situation is not helping the gymnasts at all- it is just creating drama. JMO- I could be wrong- heck I might be wrong. ;)

I tend to agree, He stepped down. I am not sure of the inside workings of his resignation, I assume only a few actually know what happened. I am sure he was/is hurt on some level to lose that prestigious position. He can still be part of the change/solution if he so desires.

Idea. Some coaches here support him or at the very least praise his technical abilities. If he is the man some people say he is he could still help the sport. He could hold USAG sponsored coaching clinics, working with gym owners and coaches. Sharing his technical skill with coaches outside of the elite world. If Valerie and the USAG truly want to help the athletes they can do it at ground level, not just the elite world.

I saw the team for Jesolo was selected, I'm so curious now how that is working, who selected the athletes, the LSU verification didn't take place yet, correct?

The US isn't sending a team to Jesolo. Individual clubs are allowed to send individual gymnasts through their own funding, but they can't compete in the team events. So USAG wasn't involved in the decision making process beyond allowing national team members to compete for their clubs which I believe they have to approve.

The US isn't sending a team to Jesolo. Individual clubs are allowed to send individual gymnasts through their own funding, but they can't compete in the team events. So USAG wasn't involved in the decision making process beyond allowing national team members to compete for their clubs which I believe they have to approve.

Ah, gotcha!! Thanks for clarifying!

Do we know who is going as a club gymnast to Jesolo? It would be a fun competition, expensive, but fum.

I was actually thinking the same thing. How COOL for those girls who get to compete this meet. :) Thank goodness my kid isn't at that level....we'd have to sell our cars to pay for it! LOL
Yes, sending gymnast, coach and parent or chaperone to Italy would be a pretty penny. Here is what I found on the interwebs, for what it's worth. I suppose Texas Dreams can at least compete in the team competition?
Sydney Barros, Texas Dreams
Olivia Dunne, ENA Paramus
Adeline Kenlin, Iowa Gym-Nest
Emma Malabuyo, Texas Dreams
Grace McCallum, Twin City Twisters
Alyonna Shchennikova, 5280 Gymnastics
Ragan Smith, Texas Dreams
Tori Tatum, Twin City Twisters

So essentially Texas Dreams is competing as a Country?

Such a Texas thing to do ;)

Go Kim!!!!!
You literally made me LOL. Ahhhh, Texas! I’ve gotta share. The very first house we toured when my husband was transferred to Texas, we walked into the back yard and what did we see? Yup, a giant swimming pool in the shape of the state. What else could we possibly have been expecting? :p

Has it been clarified if each athlete needs to send a chaperone? Or can 1 chaperone cover multiple kids provided the parents not in attendance sign off on it? I am 100% on board with sending chaperones who are not coaches/national staff for camps and international competitions, but I feel like 1 parent/chaperone for the 3 Texas Dreams kids, 1 for the TCT kids, and 1 for the 3 from miscellaneous gyms would be sufficient. Obviously if multiple parents want to attend and chaperone their own child I don't think they should be turned away, I just feel for the kids who have parents who are not able to drop everything and leave for a week or more at a time multiple times throughout the year.

Has it been clarified if each athlete needs to send a chaperone? Or can 1 chaperone cover multiple kids provided the parents not in attendance sign off on it? I am 100% on board with sending chaperones who are not coaches/national staff for camps and international competitions, but I feel like 1 parent/chaperone for the 3 Texas Dreams kids, 1 for the TCT kids, and 1 for the 3 from miscellaneous gyms would be sufficient. Obviously if multiple parents want to attend and chaperone their own child I don't think they should be turned away, I just feel for the kids who have parents who are not able to drop everything and leave for a week or more at a time multiple times throughout the year.

As this is a club gym meet, not a USAG Nat team meet, it would be the same as any travel meet the gym normally does. My guess is the gymnasts will share rooms.

You literally made me LOL. Ahhhh, Texas! I’ve gotta share. The very first house we toured when my husband was transferred to Texas, we walked into the back yard and what did we see? Yup, a giant swimming pool in the shape of the state. What else could we possibly have been expecting? :p

Bahahaha!! THAT is really hilarious! It sounds like the punch line to a bad Texas joke...except it is true!!!

I adore Texas btw :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back