Long Hang Pullover or 3/4 Giant??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

munchkin3

Proud Parent
Is there any difference at all between a long hang pullover vs. 3/4 Giant?
I sometimes hear the L5 are working on LHP.....they tend to show a bit of a slowdown between the pullover and undershoot whereas the L6-7 do it very fast and with a lot of strength....

It there a technical difference between to two? Are they both subject to the same deductions? Must it be fast? Can there be a slight slowdown at support?
Thanks

From what I understand, LHP and 3/4 giants are the same skill. The differences you are seeing are probably because the level 5's are just being introduced to the skill, and therefore it is not as polished/practiced/strong as the Level 6/7's. Anyway, I'm not positive, but that is how I understand it.

A 3/4 giant passes from a hang to a clear support followed by a lower to front support or subsequent swing from the clear support. It's simply a giant swing which doesn't go to handstand.

A long hang pullover passes from a hang to clear support and must end in a front support, or a deduction is incurred in the USAG Compulsory routine.

I see it differently.

The long hang pullover is a level 4 skill in Australia. The kids do a pullover, cast, back hip circle, then squat on a jump to high bar and then do 3 swings into a long hang pullover on the high bar. Then do a toe shoot or underswing dismount. So basically a long hang pulover is a pullover on the high bar from a long swing. It should stop in the bar to some degree. Although you should never really stop on bars, basically you need to do a cast out of it to get into your next skill.

But a 3/4 giant shouldn't have a stop or require a cast out of it. In fact it should almost miss the bar, if not just slightly miss it as it moves into the underswing.

A 3/4 giant passes from a hang to a clear support followed by a lower to front support or subsequent swing from the clear support. It's simply a giant swing which doesn't go to handstand.

A long hang pullover passes from a hang to clear support and must end in a front support, or a deduction is incurred in the USAG Compulsory routine.

This is my terminology, as well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back