Coaches Long hang pullovers and hip pain

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymisforeveryone

Coach
Judge
I have a problem. I'm teaching my gymnast long hang pullovers. There's two of them in their next bar routine. We work on those on strap bar mostly because the kids cannot yet maintain correct shapes on real bar (partly because they just recently got grips). The thing is that the kids did wonderful work when I first introduced them this skill a few months back and almost all of them did very good long hang pullovers. Back then they didn't know it may hurt sometimes when their tap's timing is off or/and they pike their hips at the end of the skill. Now they all seem to be afraid off smashing hips to the bar even if we have tied a piece of soft foam around the bar to make it softer. They may do very good cast and swing but then they stop and the skill looks awful and I'm sure it hurts even more. The kids look me like I asked them to boil some cute puppies when I tell them it's time to work on long hang pullovers.

Please help, how do you make your kids work on skills that may cause pain? Do you have any tips for long hang pullovers?

If they're little enough, or you're strong enough, you could spot them doing baby giants. Just like a long hand pullover except don't close the shoulder angle completely at the end so they end up on the other side of the bar as if they did a really low free hip. A giant with a broken shoulder angle basically. Then they'll have to tap more and maybe understand the control part a little better. And you can lead them coming over the top so they know they aren't going to hit the bar. If they aren't all enough for you to be able to help them it probably won't work. Maybe wearing shorts if they don't already during bars could help a little too?

Have the kids buy a neoprene back brace from any drug store. Then they can wear it during workout, except lower to protect the hips and whatever else they are hurting. They are easy to put on and the kids will attempt corrections knowing it isn't going to bruise them. Hope that helps.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back