WAG Long practice and hunger

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Thanks, I've never bought any of the premade flavoured milks as they are far far too sweet and full of sugar for us.
But I might do milo as a pre-gym snack (it's barley based choc powder) though as that's healthier than chocolate powder.
OzZee, with the amount of exercise your kids do (assuming I have identified you correctly!), I really don't think that chocolate powder is going to be a problem. Yes, there is sugar in it, but they'll burn it off in two seconds. We use the Cadbury drinking chocolate mix simply because it is dairy-free. And of course, we don't mix it in cow's milk, rather, we use oat milk. (I think you will have identified me by now, if you hadn't previously!)

When drunk at home or in the car beforehand, but not at gym due to nut-free policies, I often whizz up some almonds as small as I can get them and add them, and some frozen raspberries. It makes an excellent non-dairy smoothie.

Last edited:
My daughter's squad has fruit break part way through their 3.5 to 4 hour training session. The girls are only supposed to have fruit. However, her coach knows she has "flagging energy" issues, and very happily lets my daughter also have some rice crackers (about 10) or nut-free muesli bars and a Glucodin tablet (glucose). This is on the recommendation of our sports nutritionist who said that we needed to up my daughter's calorie intake. Chocolate milk, as suggested earlier, is an excellent way to do this, as it add calories to the drink, without being a purely sugary mess! :)

When giving a nutrition talk, our head coach said he used to grab a handful of nuts during his water breaks when he was a gymnast in training. Unfortunately due to nut-free policies, this isn't an option anymore. :-(

For the chocolate milk - does anyone know if chocolate almond milk or coconut milk would do the same thing? My daughter is lactose intolerant, so cow milk wouldn't really be a good idea. ;-) We do Organic Valley lactose free milk sometimes; but it isn't always easy to find (she doesn't like the other lactose free milks).

leotardmakermum, it's not the sugar as such I'm worried about (the littlest one at least loves sugar) but the sweetness. I was given a premade chocolate milk years ago and it made me sick it was so sweet, so guess that's just in my mind. I guess the chocolate powder you just make it as strong as you want.

I quite like the rule one poster said about 'no breakfast, no practice' in theory, however as a child I would have hated it!

That was me but gymnastics for us is a privilage not a right and if she wants to "earn" that privilage there are strings attached. She has to have all her homework done before she can go to practice and she has to have something in her stomach even if its just a muffin, granola bar, english muffin, or what ever. Its doesn't have to be a big bacon and eggs breakfast. My DD usually grabs some Cherrios in a small tupperware container (no milk) and eats it on the drive over (about 25 - 30 min for us).

It's like any other rule in the house that they may or may not like. The kid's don't have to like it but they do have to follow it if they want to continue to do gymnastics. Other rules my kids don't like but have to do - Keep their room clean, vaccume their rooms once a week, Put their clothes away after they have been washed (same day), Rake the dog poo in the yard daily (they take turns so its just every other day), do the dishes after dinner. For us if they don't do their "jobs" in the house then they don't get the privilages of things like sleepovers at friends, Friends B-day parties etc. When they ask if they can do this or that on the weekends - of course they usually can so long as their "jobs" are done before they go. Then it's up to them as to what happens. Do the job you get the privilage don't do it and you don't. They learn really quickly about cause and effect. That doesn't mean they don't get things from us "just because" Suprises are really nice too!

As for the sugary chocolate milk - These kids work hard and need to replenish what they have burned up. The sugar and other nutrients in the milk are needed to help the muscles recover during and after a hard workout.

I have been told full strength Lowfat chocolate milk is uniquely positioned because it has the perfect mix of protein, carbohydrates, electrolytes and nutrients to replenish and rehydrate athletes after strenuous exercise. So I'm not sure if other forms of "milk" would provide the same benifits or not. I never asked about alternatives as my child isn't alergic to milk.

Ok Passing the soapbox along to the next person :)

Last edited by a moderator:
When daughter went to up to three hour sessions I was convinced she wouldn't cope - she used to come out starving and crabby after 2 hours. I kept sneaking snacks (fruit, plain popcorn) in to her bag until she begged me to stop because she'd been told no food in the gym. She was fine and as long as I had something to put straight in her hand when she came out we staved off the crabbies!

They get a drink break after every rotation (45 mins). In summer, if it's hot (not to be assumed here!) I drop a tablet in her drink which is sold for long distance walking events and has protein, electrolytes and stuff in it, but no calories. That seemed to help, which made me feel that dehydration was more of a contributory factor in her crabbiness.

Now she does one four hour session and the note says that a half time snack must be provided or she wont be allowed to train. I don't know if maybe theres a cut off regulation here, but I'm glad that's the way they do it.

That was me but gymnastics for us is a privilage not a right and if she wants to "earn" that privilage there are strings attached. She has to have all her homework done before she can go to practice and she has to have something in her stomach even if its just a muffin, granola bar, english muffin, or what ever. Its doesn't have to be a big bacon and eggs breakfast. My DD usually grabs some Cherrios in a small tupperware container (no milk) and eats it on the drive over (about 25 - 30 min for us).

I agree with everything you said but just to clarify, I didn't mean I wouldn't have liked the rule the same way I would have 'hated' other chores it was purely that eating breakfast used to and still does make me feel sick, so it almost would have defeated the point of having the breakfast in the first place! So perhaps the rule might not work for everyone. I do agree that it's a good rule in the majority of cases though! I used to dance from 9-5.30 on a Saturday with only 30 mins for lunch and the occasional 10 minute break and I would probably manage something just before the first class started having walked 20 mins to the studio - I guess my stomach just needs time to wake up!

I also eat at about 10am, in fact I delay my runs until I can eat something, I could just about puke if I had to eat earlier. Usually no bake protein balls is my pre run snack, recipe below. My girls are the same way, I just pack them healthy choices and they eat when they are hungry. I do not think I would tolerate a four hour practice with no time for a small snack, not a meal, just a snack. gimme some oven | no-bake energy bites » gimme some oven

Any idea for ingredients for gluten intolerant version bog?

You can make them without the oats. not the same texture but it works. Carb count is lower too so I would add in some dried fruit. We do that anyway. pulverize dried cranberries. We add extra coconut too.

Sent from my AT100 using ChalkBucket mobile app

I also eat at about 10am, in fact I delay my runs until I can eat something, I could just about puke if I had to eat earlier. Usually no bake protein balls is my pre run snack, recipe below. My girls are the same way, I just pack them healthy choices and they eat when they are hungry. I do not think I would tolerate a four hour practice with no time for a small snack, not a meal, just a snack. gimme some oven | no-bake energy bites » gimme some oven

I like the look of them!! Might have to make some!

They look good. We have one 7am training session and it's way too early for DD to be eating a proper breakfast beforehand (she eats after) but she can't go in on an empty stomach either. I'm always looking for new ideas.

I like the look of them!! Might have to make some!
They are delicious and you can substitute other things depending on taste. I use dark choc. chips and crushed almonds, dried blueberries were great as well. You can add more peanut butter (though any nut butter will work) if your mixture is to dry. Also they firm up after a night in the fridge, then they become addictive. Crunchy PB is also great.

Yummy is all i can say!
If we omit the wheat germ and the flax (i will admit to being a dimbo and not knowing where to buy and what it tastes like!)
Will it be okay?

Yes, just reduce the amount of PB and honey. Though Holland and Barrett should sell the gluten free oats and the ground flax, I do not use the wheat germ. Basically any health food shop will stock it and a little goes a long way. Flax is very nourishing and you do not taste it at all. You could also substitute ground almonds for the flax too.

Will report back on how it goes down with me, 2 sporty kids, 2 non sporty and non sweet tooth extremely active dh!
Thanks!
Just make sure you put them in the fridge overnight before eating. The texture is amazing after they chill and then you can put them in a lunch bag and they are fine.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back