WAG Long sleeve leotard in summer

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Where I live, it's moving into summer and temperatures are reaching up and over 90 degrees. However due to self inflicted scars, I'm forced to wear long sleeves, and keep getting questioned about it. No-one in my squad knows about my self injury, but I am receiving support from elsewhere. My question is, is it safe to train in long sleeved leotards during summer, and is there anything I can do to make it more tolerable?

Thank you, that's a really good idea but I'd rather not arouse suspicion and I feel I'd be questioned as to why I was wearing then

Could you use athletic tape and say it's for forearm or wrist pain? Im not sure how far up you'd like to cover.

If you're bent on long sleeves, you may want to look into dance leaotards as their material is often more breathable than metallic spandex often used for gymnastics leos.
Good luck! <3

I would just suggest a lighter lycra type material rather than velvet or metallic fabrics as they can get pretty hot. I've never tried them, but I wonder if a long sleeve running/compression type shirt with shorts would be a bit more breathable- something like this https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...16nikwprcllstpfshaptxx/16nikwprcllstpfshaptxx

I have a few kids that fairly regularly show up to practice in long sleeves over the summer and I don't ask questions, I figure they have their reasons. If anyone asks, just tell them you feel more comfortable in long sleeves.
I'm glad you are getting help and you've found ways to stay in the gym during the process.

Would one of the mesh-sleeves leos work? Many comp teams use long or 3/4 mesh sleeves, usually in black, for their team Leo's. They always look more comfortable & definitely more breathable than the solid long sleeves.

What about arm compression sleeves? We have someone in our gym who has really sore forearms - so it wouldn't be unusual for her to wear them.
Best wishes.

If you don't own any leos that aren't long sleeved, then that's a suitable and honest answer to any questions that could arise.

Or, you could say it helps you feel less nervous at meets, (if your competition leo has long sleeves) because you're not just used to doing skills in tank leos.

I'm glad you're getting the help you need. Would it be worth talking with that person to see if moving ahead and wearing the tank style might be worth it? If you will be with this team for a while, maybe it's worth going ahead and begin building that trust. I have to think that inevitably, there will be some time when people will be able to see your arms, and it might go easier if you take control of that moment in advance. Obviously, please do what is right and healthy for you - I'm just thinking this might be worth talking about with someone. (And of course, you don't need to answer this here!)

And for whatever it's worth, I've had three different people share similar information with me personally before. They are still people I love and consider friends. We all have things we'd do differently if we could start over.

I'm glad you're getting the help you need. Would it be worth talking with that person to see if moving ahead and wearing the tank style might be worth it? If you will be with this team for a while, maybe it's worth going ahead and begin building that trust. I have to think that inevitably, there will be some time when people will be able to see your arms, and it might go easier if you take control of that moment in advance. Obviously, please do what is right and healthy for you - I'm just thinking this might be worth talking about with someone. (And of course, you don't need to answer this here!)

And for whatever it's worth, I've had three different people share similar information with me personally before. They are still people I love and consider friends. We all have things we'd do differently if we could start over.

I like this.

Of course I would love to be able to do this, but I'm very scared of it messing up the existing relationships I have with my coach and teammates. Furthermore, I train with young children, some who aren't young enough to understand, and some who are, and I don't wish for them to see it, particularly as I'm supposed to be a 'role model'

Thank you to everyone else for all your advice, I will definitely look into all options

As a mom who would have young gymnasts, like your teammates, you are being a role model by helping yourself get healthy. I truely don't feel that if you wore tanks that anyone would see you as being a negative influence. If anything the girls may be worried about you, but your reassurance and presence in the gym will show them your strength inside and out. Good luck to you!

As someone who also has self inflicted scars, I would try mesh sleeves. Anything semi opaque generally covers most scars. Also do what makes you feel comfortable as far as revealing it to people. Most people understand(as best they can), but I'm learning first hand that there is still unfortunately a general ignorance towards it. Just know that's a possibility, and if they do have a negative reaction please know that it's NOT on you. Also be prepared to possibly answer questions. I know some people don't like being asked about it. I personally like when people ask questions, as I find it makes it less of a "scary" topic for some and I want to be someone who informs. I would rather be asked questions than have people assume things. Finally, good on you for receiving support. That in itself can be terrifying, but know that that is such a brave thing for you to do.

I have scars on my arms and legs from this. They are not particularly obviously SI scars though, so I don't get people seeing them and making assumptions. I was competing though while some of them were stil active wounds and I definitely got questions then. I tended to wear long sleeves when they were like that and shorts all the time. I did have an occasion at a competition where I requested to keep my shorts on and when I was asked why I was just very matter of fact and said 'I have scars on my legs that I'd rather keep covered' and it was fine. You don't necessarily have to explain WHY you have scars or want to cover your arms - could you just tell them 'I prefer having my arms covered'? It's not a lie, but it doesn't invite further questions either.

I would also second the ideas about mesh sleeved leotards - may keep you cooler and more comfortable!

Thank you so much for all your advice. I've decided to wear long sleeves for the foreseeable future due to some slightly judgemental comments from my teammates, even without them knowing of my self harm. I get questioned by coaches every week regarding my choice of leotard, especially as it gets hotter, but it's better than the alternative. Thank you all

One of the coaches at our gym have self harm scars and she says she fought a bear.

That is great.

Edit - also wanted to say it's good to know that many people have dealt with this issue. I have self-inflicted scars on my legs but people don't usually think of that. If I get asked I say they are from ice skating, since I also have ice skating related scars on my legs.

Just wanted to share that I saw a bunch of really pretty long sleeve GK leos on eBay today for great prices AND buy one get one free on top of that!

Some were so cute that I wish my daughter would wear them. They didn't all look like comp. leos- most were more casual looking like they were intended for practicing.

Here's a link. This might just pull up size AXS so if that's not your size be sure to look at the rest this seller has

http://stores.ebay.com/mgoodguy/Gym...d=116155435&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1581&_pgn=3

I first of all love your attitude[emoji4][emoji173]️ the fact that you came here and asked and considered all options. anyway have you looked into ballet type leotards. I'm a dancer and a gymnast and I wear tank Leo's to gym cause it's hot but A LOT of ballet leotards are long sleeved which is the kind I wear to dance. They are not really any hotter than gymnastics tank Leo's, they're cute and honestly way more comfortable than long sleeved gym Leo's. Just a suggestion that I think could be much more tolerable. Good luck[emoji6]

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back