Parents long thoracic nerve injury anyone?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Does anyone know anything about long thoracic nerve injury or winged scapula? My DD was just diagnosed with this.
My DD was diagnosed with winged scapula last summer.

The winged scapula actually caused a section of her upper back along the thoracic spine to become “frozen” in place. (hard like wood to the touch) This frozen section was pulling on her spine when she was doing her skills which resulted in bone bruising along the spine and fluid and swelling inside a couple of the vertebrae. The "frozen" section was caused by her shoulders not working properly and the upper back trying to pick up the slack.

It took two months of complete rest for the spine to start to heal and then an additional couple months of physical therapy to get her shoulders back to normal and unfreeze the section pulling on her spine. During this entire recovery period she was not allowed to go to the gym or to do any physical activity besides walking, stretching for splits and PT exercises.

PT treatment was two times a week in person therapy and 3 times a day at home exercises for about an hour at a time. It took a few months of this therapy for her to be able to go back to the gym and then only to ride the exercise bike, stretch and do her PT exercises. Slowly additional skills were added till she was back to doing everything.

Her shoulders are back to normal now but she still does her PT exercises once a day and PT once a week. Not sure how long she will need to continue this but it seems to be working so we will stick with it.

Hopefully they caught this earlier for your DD and she will not need to endure all of this!
What is the course of treatment they are prescribing for her?

My DD was diagnosed with winged scapula last summer.

The winged scapula actually caused a section of her upper back along the thoracic spine to become “frozen” in place. (hard like wood to the touch) This frozen section was pulling on her spine when she was doing her skills which resulted in bone bruising along the spine and fluid and swelling inside a couple of the vertebrae. The "frozen" section was caused by her shoulders not working properly and the upper back trying to pick up the slack.

It took two months of complete rest for the spine to start to heal and then an additional couple months of physical therapy to get her shoulders back to normal and unfreeze the section pulling on her spine. During this entire recovery period she was not allowed to go to the gym or to do any physical activity besides walking, stretching for splits and PT exercises.

PT treatment was two times a week in person therapy and 3 times a day at home exercises for about an hour at a time. It took a few months of this therapy for her to be able to go back to the gym and then only to ride the exercise bike, stretch and do her PT exercises. Slowly additional skills were added till she was back to doing everything.

Her shoulders are back to normal now but she still does her PT exercises once a day and PT once a week. Not sure how long she will need to continue this but it seems to be working so we will stick with it.

Hopefully they caught this earlier for your DD and she will not need to endure all of this!
What is the course of treatment they are prescribing for her?
Oh my goodness; what a path. I'm glad she is doing better finally. What caused it for you? So far, they are saying don't do any loading or swinging and don't lift your arm over your head until we get an EMG. No further instruction yet...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back