Parents Looking for a new gym...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

threesummers

Proud Parent
hi, I could really use some advice, please! I have 3 competitive gymnasts and they've been at the same gym for 5 years. They have recently hired a new coach who I feel is a bit too nasty with the kids and my dd's are terrified of her. One of the other coaches told me that the coaches see her behavior as well, and other parents are concerned enough to complain too. I don't see this person getting fired, I believe she is a personal friend of the owner. She makes cruel remarks - at meets, just as the kids are getting ready to present to the judges and compete. She has had my L3 doing piggyback squats with her teammates as a punishment for goofing around. I think she's abusive and unsafe and it's only a matter of time before my kids are going to want to quit. So I've set up an appointment with another local gym owner but I don't want to spend my time bashing the other gym. I'm trying to figure out how to ask what their coaching philosophy is and how to find out if they allow similar behavior in this new gym. Any advice on questions I can ask or the types of answers I should be looking for?

Thanks!

Don't mention the old gym...the "code word" is "it just isn't a good fit for us right now".
Then only ask about their philosophy, observe practice, learn schedules et al and then let if invited let your gymmies "try it out". All in silence about why you are leaving, that you are trying a new place, don't tell a soul at your gym for now.

Don't mention the old gym...the "code word" is "it just isn't a good fit for us right now".
Then only ask about their philosophy, observe practice, learn schedules et al and then let if invited let your gymmies "try it out". All in silence about why you are leaving, that you are trying a new place, don't tell a soul at your gym for now.

Thank you! I made a new email account just to communicate with the other gym! I'm not going to even tell them my last name until I make up my mind. Do you think I should just wait until states are done before I even speak with another gym? I don't want to do anything that will hurt my daughters, I just want to have an exit plan in place, or at least an idea of where to send them next. I feel like it's one thing if my kids want to quit because they are tired of the sport, but to have them quit because an adult is bullying them (and their teammates) is just heartbreaking. I haven't told anyone what I'm doing, not even my girls. Thanks for responding.

I'd email now and make anonymous visits wo kids to watch practice. Then meet with coach, so that if they do want the girls to try out, you can do it after states.

I would check the other gyms out now. There may be a mass exodus after states and you want to be ahead of the others if spots at the other teams are limited.

Making a new email was a great idea.

I would check the other gyms out now. There may be a mass exodus after states and you want to be ahead of the others if spots at the other teams are limited.

Making a new email was a great idea.
Yes, but their business phone can still have caller ID.

Here, you can dial *67 before a phone call to not show up on caller ID. Check and see if you have same option in your area.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back